Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Citizens,

Just wanted your thoughts on a few things - I'm going to be doing some towing of a 3000 lb trailer with it's own electrical brakes. The tounge weight comes in around 160, and has a length of about 19'. All of these specs are technically within the acceptable range of the vechicle, I've got a V6 2007 Escape Limited with a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, and have the stock tow package with a class II hitch.

Does anyone else pull any type of heavy boat or utility trailer? Towing this type of load over long distance? I'm not new to towing, only new to 2,000 lb plus trailers. In MN we're not really subject to mountains and whatnot. Anyone use any type of anti-sway device? I get the feeling that this load is going to be about all the vehicle can do without completely losing acceleration needed for freeway entry.

All towing comments welcome.

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tow with my '05 V6 Escape. The big problem is the transmission. It is barely up to the demands of just the vehicle weight. There is lots of info on this if you google CD4E transmission. There are some mods to help
1. fit an additional large trans cooler with thermostat.I have this on mine.
2. fit a large additional external trans oil filter -ther are kits for this .I got mine from Permacool.
3. Get an XCal3 programmed for firmer shifts and cooling fans coming on earlier -it is all part of the tow package that Torrie offers.Probably have the tow 'tune' to offer max torque on premium gas because you'll need all the torque you can buy with that heavy trailer
4.Fit a trans temp gauge. I have two -one shows the temp before the cooler and the other is after the cooler. Set the warning light for 210F before the cooler & 200F after the cooler. If you let the fluid go over 220F the trans will soon be toast.
5. A lighter trailer/load?
I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If your thinking of doing this on a regular basis, I'd think of moving up to a F-150. If it's a one time deal, rent a truck. It maybe cheaper in the long term. I say that based on personal experience (owning a F-150), and what was just posted above. Escape's should be okay for a small trailer and a light load. Say a motorcycle, ski-do, or snowmoble. It is a light (not heavy) duty SUV/CUV. :peace:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i try not to tow very much weight with my escape, seems like they designed the driveline with a car transmission as to make it useless in towing its own weight. i have towed lots of loads to the dump, and my boat, and motorcycles, but i always try to keep the weight below 2000lbs. i did tow a few loads at around 3000-3500 and your gonna be a slug on the interstate. dont plan on passing anyone LoL

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, I know the best option is to not tow a heavy trailer but I gotta work with what I got. Things so far have gone really well, I've done about 400 highway/city miles without much of a problem. It's been cold here though so I'm sure that helps keep fluid temps lower. Come spring and summer there will be a need to make changes, I'll be adding the transmission filter with readout to ensure I don't damage anything.

Recommended Transmission fluid change mileage? I just turned over 30000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey,
Can anyone tell me what the most is that i can haul with my 2003 Escape V6 4X4. I have the helper airbags on the back springs, and have also installed a large Tranny cooler, with the factory one still there also. I have a Camper that is less then 4000lbs, and is 25' long. I know that they say the Escape can only haul 3500lbs. I have hauled it and it seems fine, but not for very far. I plan on going about 1000 miles and wanted to see if anyone can tell me what they think of this before I do it.
Thanks
Homer Milco

·
Registered
11 Posts
homermilco said:
Hey,
Can anyone tell me what the most is that i can haul with my 2003 Escape V6 4X4. I have the helper airbags on the back springs, and have also installed a large Tranny cooler, with the factory one still there also. I have a Camper that is less then 4000lbs, and is 25' long. I know that they say the Escape can only haul 3500lbs. I have hauled it and it seems fine, but not for very far. I plan on going about 1000 miles and wanted to see if anyone can tell me what they think of this before I do it.
Thanks
Homer Milco
I pulled an empty 6x12 enclosed trailer (1700lbs, 140lb tongue) from Detroit to Norfolk, filled it, and towed it back with no probs. I would say the weight full was just over 4000lbs. I got around 11mpg, but it pulled just fine. No electric brake controller, factory hitch/wiring AND i had my dubs on the truck at the time too and 3 passengers plus myself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I towed a Mazda Miata on a dolly for 600 miles up and down hills from Louisville, KY to Jackson, MS with no problems. Although I made sure I turned off Overdrive before I got to the really steep hills, as to keep it from hunting. I averaged 18mpg at an average of 65mph. I looked at the tranny fluid from time to time to make sure it wasn't getting burnt. My truck had no towing package, and as far as I know no tranny cooler. My truck has been just fine for the last month since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I went on my 1000+ mile trip each way and the Escape worked great. I used a weight distribution hitch also. I never track my milage, but it was alot less then without the camper behind me. Still way cheaper then buying a new truck.
Thanks again all

Homer Milco

1 - 10 of 10 Posts