Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information regarding ECU/ECM TPMS Relearning, Specifically is this Gen 2 Escape capable of learning & monitoring (5) TPMS Sensors? I have a Full Size Spare with a Schrader 29020 TPMS Sensor. The 29020 is a OER (Original Equipment Replacement) Sensor and it is pre-programmed with the protocol for the 2011 Ford Escape. According to Schrader Tech Support although it is a 33500 Series Sensor, it can not be reprogrammed or cloned.
I have an OBD MONSTER T-19 (Ford) Activate/Relearn Tool to us in case of a flat tire. I have a 2nd set of wheels for mounting Winter Tires. If necessary I will buy a Schrader or ATEQ TPMS Scan/Diagnostic Tool so that I can perform a (5) wheel ECU Relearn. Not certain of the sequence but expect it follows the Stationary Relearn (FL/FR/RR/LR) followed by the spare. Since the Standard Stationary from the manual has no mention of Relearning a spare that I could find, I suspect that for (5) Wheels one would have to use the ECU/ECM Relearn if it is possible.
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

·
Administrator
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude 4x4
20,731 Posts
Welcome to the City Bob!! Glad you joined us!!!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
500 Posts
Looking for information regarding ECU/ECM TPMS Relearning, Specifically is this Gen 2 Escape capable of learning & monitoring (5) TPMS Sensors? I have a Full Size Spare with a Schrader 29020 TPMS Sensor. The 29020 is a OER (Original Equipment Replacement) Sensor and it is pre-programmed with the protocol for the 2011 Ford Escape. According to Schrader Tech Support although it is a 33500 Series Sensor, it can not be reprogrammed or cloned.
I have an OBD MONSTER T-19 (Ford) Activate/Relearn Tool to us in case of a flat tire. I have a 2nd set of wheels for mounting Winter Tires. If necessary I will buy a Schrader or ATEQ TPMS Scan/Diagnostic Tool so that I can perform a (5) wheel ECU Relearn. Not certain of the sequence but expect it follows the Stationary Relearn (FL/FR/RR/LR) followed by the spare. Since the Standard Stationary from the manual has no mention of Relearning a spare that I could find, I suspect that for (5) Wheels one would have to use the ECU/ECM Relearn if it is possible.
Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
Welcome to the city, KaBob. ( :
When using the relearn tool, after four tires read- the vehicle honks twice to show completion of procedure. I do not believe your car has the capability to keep track of your spares pressure. My 09 doesn't.
Not sure that you need anything but a cheap relearning tool, I have never never needed a diagnostic aspect to mine. When it doesn't read a sensor, the battery is dead.
Not sure about OER (never heard that term-acronym before)TPMS…guessing it is a universal variety. The only thing that I know of that has to match is the frequency it broadcasts on, which is indeed vehicle specific, and whether valve, or band attachment.

at the tire store, we did have universal sensors that could be programmed with a tool for frequency, for most cars. We only used them in a pinch, we preferred oem.
There are only a few cars that require vehicle make specific sensors, rejecting a universal- frequency programmable- sensor, and it became a headache to find out (after mounting) which makes didn't take the universals…

I buy oem from ebay, set of 4 is under $30.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the city, KaBob. ( :
When using the relearn tool, after four tires read- the vehicle honks twice to show completion of procedure. I do not believe your car has the capability to keep track of your spares pressure. My 09 doesn't.
Not sure that you need anything but a cheap relearning tool, I have never never needed a diagnostic aspect to mine. When it doesn't read a sensor, the battery is dead.
Not sure about OER (never heard that term-acronym before)TPMS…guessing it is a universal variety. The only thing that I know of that has to match is the frequency it broadcasts on, which is indeed vehicle specific, and whether valve, or band attachment.

at the tire store, we did have universal sensors that could be programmed with a tool for frequency, for most cars. We only used them in a pinch, we preferred oem.
There are only a few cars that require vehicle make specific sensors, rejecting a universal- frequency programmable- sensor, and it became a headache to find out (after mounting) which makes didn't take the universals…

I buy oem from ebay, set of 4 is under $30.
Thanks for responding, OER (Original Equipment Replacement) was an acronym that Scharader Technical Support used in their response to me re. my question about their P/N 29020 TPMS Sensor.
This sensor is a 6th Generation, single protocol TPMS Sensor, it is pre-programmed with the correct protocol for the 2011 Ford Escape. It operates at both 315 MHZ and 433MHZ. While it is part of the 33500 ez-sensor family, this particular sensor is not reprogrammable or cloneable per their Tech Support, hence the OER designation. The 33500 ez-series are a line of programmable TPMS Sensors, aka "Universal Sensor", so it was a bit of a surprise to learn that they were not Cloneable/Re-programmable. The 29020 can be Cloned to a "Normal" 33500 ez-sensor per Schrader's Tech Support to my follow up question.
Based on their Web Site, Schrader has about 60% of the Original Equipment Market for TPMS Sensors.
I do have a Low End TPMS Relearn Tool (The OBD Monster T-19 which is Ford Specific) from Amazon which was about $15.
I know the Stationary TPMS Relearn Procedure for my vehicle, the Relearn Tool actually came with a copy of the Ford Relearn Procedure.
What I am looking at is being able to rotate my spare tire in when I rotate my tires, the spare that was on the vehicle when I purchased it had never been on the road, but the side walls were weather checked badly. I need to replace them all as they are 7 years old, although they have 50% or so of tread life left. their Date Code (last 4 digits) in the DOT # are 4015. (40th Week of Calendar Year 2015)
I believe that starting in 2008, with the Generation 2 Ford Escapes, they switched to the Stationary Relearn from Auto Relearn use in some of the Generation 1's.
I have a bad back, so crawling under the vehicle to check the spare tire pressure is a PITA (Pain In The ***), particularly in winter with snow on the ground, which is why I was asking the question re. if the Escape's TPMS System could monitor the Sensor in the Full Size Spare Tire. BTW my Spare is on a 2011 Alloy Rim that I picked up from a Auto Dismantler.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
500 Posts
Thanks for responding, OER (Original Equipment Replacement) was an acronym that Scharader Technical Support used in their response to me re. my question about their P/N 29020 TPMS Sensor.
This sensor is a 6th Generation, single protocol TPMS Sensor, it is pre-programmed with the correct protocol for the 2011 Ford Escape. It operates at both 315 MHZ and 433MHZ. While it is part of the 33500 ez-sensor family, this particular sensor is not reprogrammable or cloneable per their Tech Support, hence the OER designation. The 33500 ez-series are a line of programmable TPMS Sensors, aka "Universal Sensor", so it was a bit of a surprise to learn that they were not Cloneable/Re-programmable. The 29020 can be Cloned to a "Normal" 33500 ez-sensor per Schrader's Tech Support to my follow up question.
Based on their Web Site, Schrader has about 60% of the Original Equipment Market for TPMS Sensors.
I do have a Low End TPMS Relearn Tool (The OBD Monster T-19 which is Ford Specific) from Amazon which was about $15.
I know the Stationary TPMS Relearn Procedure for my vehicle, the Relearn Tool actually came with a copy of the Ford Relearn Procedure.
What I am looking at is being able to rotate my spare tire in when I rotate my tires, the spare that was on the vehicle when I purchased it had never been on the road, but the side walls were weather checked badly. I need to replace them all as they are 7 years old, although they have 50% or so of tread life left. their Date Code (last 4 digits) in the DOT # are 4015. (40th Week of Calendar Year 2015)
I believe that starting in 2008, with the Generation 2 Ford Escapes, they switched to the Stationary Relearn from Auto Relearn use in some of the Generation 1's.
I have a bad back, so crawling under the vehicle to check the spare tire pressure is a PITA (Pain In The ***), particularly in winter with snow on the ground, which is why I was asking the question re. if the Escape's TPMS System could monitor the Sensor in the Full Size Spare Tire. BTW my Spare is on a 2011 Alloy Rim that I picked up from a Auto Dismantler.
Bob
If the tire has a sensor in it, you would just need to relearn the TPMS whenever you rotated, or switchout your winter tires.

I worked at a mom and Pop tire shop for years, if you had pulled into my place, I would've climbed underneath your vehicle and checked your spare tire pressure anytime you asked. You would get annoying if you came in every month.

You do not need to change tires because of the date code, you change the tires when they are weather checked(dry rotted), or worn to the treadbar. Tires are not food, they do not have a 'use by' date

firestone had a finger pointed at them a few years back, because people refused to check the tire pressure with an overloaded vehicle.

if you check the pressure of what is the spare tire, as you rotate it into play… Every 5000 miles… You don't have to crawl underneath the vehicle to check it.

I hope you do not see me as offensive, but I think you're overthinking a bit. You cannot make your control computer do more than it is capable of, but you have an easy workaround.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts