Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 xlt. i just bought a curt hitch to install on it and im a little lost on the wiring. What will i need for my vehicle. it did not come originally with a towing package so does it have anything that i can just plug in to? or will i have to wire the entire thing. i hope somebody can help there just isnt much info for the 04s out there. thanks
Alex

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C, Alex!!!

Here's a quick how-to for a 2001-2004 Escape/Tribute's trailer wiring.

First, from the diagram below, look inside the rear cargo compartment to see if you have the factory trailer wiring harness (13A576 in the diagram).

If you don't have the factory wiring harness, you should still find an empty connector (C423 in the diagram) near the left (US driver side) tail lamp. You may need to remove the left tail lamp (or even the left rear inside trim panel) to get to the connector, but it should be there, and it should have the four standard US trailer wires, so you could tap into it with your own wiring if you want to try that:

WHITE wire - Ground
BROWN wire - Tail lamps
DARK GREEN wire - Right stop/turn lamp
YELLOW wire - Left stop/turn lamp

If you don't want to do your own wiring, you can buy the factory trailer harness to plug directly into this connector. The part number is YL8Z-13A576-AA, and it costs $14.33.

Finally, if you get the wiring done, and the trailer tail lamps work but the trailer stop and turn lamps do not work, you'll need to replace your turn signal flasher with a Ford flasher that feeds the trailer wiring. The Ford factory trailer flasher is part number YL8Z-13350-BA, and it costs $41.76. The flasher is located under the left side of the instrument panel, near the kick panel.

Those prices are from http://www.tituswillfordparts.com as of this morning.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the quick reply! i looked and i do not have the factory wiring harness but i have the empty connector so i will need to get that harness. will i need to get the trailer turn signal flasher since it wasent set up for the harness will it have the flasher for the trailer? where exactly is it located? i tryed to find it just under the panel and there was enough other wires that i couldent point it out yet. do you have a diagram for that as well? I keep hearing about a taillight converter do you know what that is? When i bought the hitch they said that is what i needed to set it up. thanks again for your help i appreciate it!!!!
Alex

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Ohh so here is the area where the harness plugs into.

I used the converter on mine, because ford didn't have the trailer flasher in stock and I needed to used the hitch asap. It will cost you almost the same amount of $$$ to do the wiring whether you choose the aftermarket converter or the factory harness and flasher unit.

If you use the aftermarket converter make sure you tap into the tail light wires, and not the trailer harness plug.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if i used the tail light converter i would have to hard wire it in correct? i was hoping to get mine installed this weekend so i doubt ford has what i need in stock. but i may check with them. What brand taillight converter did you purchase? does it work well?
thanks
alex

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You can definitely use a trailer converter, but you'll also need to tap into the turn signals of both tail lights.

The only weird thing about the tail lamp converters is that when you have the brake on and one of the turn signals, the trailer turn signal will flash opposite of the turn signal on the car until the brake lamps go off. It looks weird, but it works.

You can find the converters everywhere, and they're not expensive. Here's one that just processes the turn signals and brake lamps, so you can tap into the tail/parking lamps and ground outside the module:

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturin ... B001EP0GI6

And here's a trailer plug:

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48595-4Wi ... dbs_auto_1

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happen to be doing the same project for a 2004 Tribute and thought I would share my photos of the relay in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread. Sometimes having that visual reference makes all the difference, you know? (Excellent site, by the way - holy crap, where have I been??)

Open the front door on the drivers side - that panel on the side of the dash is what you want to remove.

Wrapping your hand around the bottom lip of the dash, just left of the hood release, gently use your finger to push the panel out a bit.

Slip either an interior trim tool or a standard screwdriver into the gap you've made and work your way up the panel to carefully pop the 5 fasteners straight out at each point.

Once all the fasteners are out, rotate the panel back a bit, parallel with the door seal.

Note the foam padding where the panel touches the horizontal pipe - slightly push the panel from the outside (the pretty side) to that it clears the pipe. The panel will then freely turn and you can pull it out of the door seal.

The relay you want to replace is the big blue box that you see bolted (#10 metric for me) to the vertical bracket. Remove the nut and push the relay down towards the bottom of the dash by the hood release.

Note that you have two harnesses - one yellow, one blue. The order is important, pay attention to it! Remove the two harnesses by lightly lifting up on the clips and pulling the harness out from the relay.

Install your new relay (# YL8Z-13350-BA) and reinstall in the reverse order.

Drink beer, marvel at your blinky trailer lights. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts