Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought some 3157 led bulbs for my 04 Escape...3157 regular bulbs are the one with 2 filaments inside (one for parking light, other for blinking: turn signal or when the brake is pressed).

The brake leds are working fine: they light up with parking lights and light up brighter when I press the brake.
The problem is with the front turn signal led lights...when I press right or left in turning, the led light just get brighter and keeps brighter without blinking at all....also the green arrow in the dash dont blink, it just keep on.

If someone have an idea of what is happening here, please, help me...I like the leds, they are 3x brighter and cooler than filament bulbs.

PS:sorry, my english is bad.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
I'm surprised that you managed to find LED bulbs for the turn signals that are brighter than the original filaments, especially plug and play. I've spotted a bunch of cars around my house with the red LED p-n-p bulbs and they are not nearly as bright as the original 4157/filament style bulbs... nonetheless, they still look cool. Form over function, I guess.

It sounds like the bulbs aren't using enough voltage and that the car doesn't think there are even bulbs plugged in. Typical problem with plug-and-play LED bulbs... but I'm not the professional. Just my experience with friends who have opted for LED bulbs only to be disappointed.

If you have the time and resources, a video would probably help. But that is my best, semi-educated guess.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Actually, Tang, There is one LED turn signal that is probably more bright then a halogen bulb. Its called the switchback LED these were made specifically for turn signals. I know they require a load resister, But here's a youtube vid of them.

I'm actualy going to order and install these in the escape. I love the look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMmoXOSS ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdKIKop ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_7Ynjb ... re=related

You get the idea.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Were these the one you showed me a few weeks ago? I spotted a set installed in a Pathfinder on the way to work. The only thing I really noticed was the white changing to amber, and the lack of fade. Otherwise, I guess it's marginally brighter. Maybe all he needs is a load resistor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah these are the ones I showed you a couple weeks ago. They are however a little spendy. V-LEDs are listing them as $89.99 for the pair plus you'll need two load resisters which run about $7 each. Autoaulumination.com is listing as $27 each but you'll need two obviously.

I'm not sure if I want to get them now or wait til the spring where the weather is nicer cause getting to the turn signals in a 05-07 is a pain in the ***.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi

How did they solve in this LED bulbs?

when turn signal is switched on, the white light does not lit

i need to do this in Park/turn lamps (front) originally: 3157 AK (amber)

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
I have the V-LED switchbacks installed on my Escape

I had the red LED units on my rear, and they were brighter than the stock bulb, but last week one of them stopped working, so right now I have one standard bulb, and one LED bulb in the rear.

If its not flashing properly you do need to install a load resistor.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
In the rear, if your signals are separate from the red stop/tail lights you will need a resistor on the amber turn signal, but not on the red stop/tail light. If your tail light is combined with the turn signal (no amber lens) then you will need a resistor on the red stop/tail/turn bulb.

Some newer vehicles may detect a "bulb out" and display this on the driver display, even though it doesn't flash. Those units will also require a resistor to shut that warning message off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reading the posts here are helpful, but I still am having trouble with my LED bulbs in my '08 Escape Hybrid. The LED bulbs work great for turn signal, and stop light. I don't even have resistors installed and I don't have hyper flash. But the problem is when I turn on the running lights. The running lights turn ok, but the problem is when the running lights are on and I try to use my turn signals. I am getting hyper flash, but only when running kits are on. How do I prevent hyper flash for turn signals when the running list are on? I tried installing the 50w resistors, negative and positive stop/turn signal wires, but that did not stop the hyper flash. Any thoughts what I could do next?

Please let me know if you need to know more about the setup, but I am using the 3157 LED dual intensity bulb from superbrightleds.com. Amber for the front, red for the rear.

·
Premium Member
3,328 Posts
The resistor is connected between the (+) for the bright lead on the bulb and the (-) lead for the bulb. IIRC, its the two outer leads on the socket leading into the bulb. I have LED bulbs on my 08 Hybrid and with the resistors they do not hyperflash.

·
Registered
174 Posts
LED switchback strip lights are also available from iJDM toy.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.