Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm still on the road to recovery from the break-in, and I'm focusing on the stereo system. I'm having a difficult time finding the right setup, and I think I've obsessed on it too much at this point.

Here's what I've got:
Front - Infinity 5x7 components (with tweeters on the plastic piece by the glass)
Back - Polk coax 5x7
HU - (was a JVC HDR1, stolen)

I didn't have the HDR1 long enough to really have an opinion on it, but it seemed OK. I decided to replace it with a newer, supposedly upgraded model, and that's the one I'm trying to work with at this point. Its a JVC KD-AHD39. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... 5684&avf=N

I've been messing with the settings for a week or so, and I'm pretty underwhelmed. There's situations where the factory HU sounded better. And the factory HU, for sure, got way better reception. This JVC has a SRS-CS Surround feature, which for me is a complete gimmick. If I wanted over-processed sound and silly echo effects, I would have bought Bose. :lol:

Anyway, I thought I wanted a HU with HD Radio built-in, and now I'm not sure. The coverage in Rochester isn't great, with a lot of dead spots (this can be very irritating if you haven't experienced it). Maybe at this point I'm just looking for a good quality HU, with a line-in for my Zune, that's going to give me good sound in my Escape. What does everyone think? Do we have a favorite head unit on this board? Does anyone have any advice relating to the acoustics of the Escape itself?

Thanks! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I'm not gonna just come out and tell you to buy Alpine, but I've been using Alpine H/Us for about 12 years and never consider anything else when buying new units. They're not even that expensive any more. :shrug:

If you can, go check one out at a local car audio store. :thumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did have an older Alpine in my Escape a while back. I have always been an Alpine fan, but they have really done some strange things with their sound that I'm not a fan of. The "bass engine", and to a greater degree the "MX" feature, are really just sound manglers as far as I'm concerned. A simple 'loudness' would probably be fine.

I might take a look at the current crop of Alpines and see whats out there. I know I can't get one with HD Radio built in though.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Did you ever look anymore into this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put my vote in for Alpine too i have had 10 Alpine HU's only had a problem with the old in dash 3 disk changer but since i have always had alpine and a very persistant wife at the time i got a HU that at the time was only available in Japan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also did your Escape have the Mach System in it? MB Quart makes some nice 6x8's at a reasonable price
this is the Alpine IVA-W205

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was one click away from getting the w505, though your w205 seems to be a nice install. I bought the IDA-X100 instead, but im wondering if that was a mistake since it doesn't leave me much room for expansion (backup monitor, navigation).

One thing I always wondered is why people mix and match their speakers :confused: Different model speakers output different audio sound qualities which mean you have to tune them differently at the amp (hoping you have one). If you have one component set in the front get the same model, but coaxial, in the back. you can leave the amp configs the same, since the component fronts will have their own passive crossover to adjust the woofer and tweeter. the only way i can understand different speaker types is if you can only afford to buy one set at first. then obviously any replacement aftermarket speaker for the back should decrease distortion at the level the stock speaker would distort at. yes depending on the quality of that speaker could determine the life it will have at the higher levels.

I would also like to agree on the quality of Alpines. I think their newer lines are getting more graphics-friendly for the kids out there, since alpine has been known for their sound quality not pretty graphics. Kenwood, JVC, and Sony jumped on the graphics train here over the last few years with their displays of off-colored turtles and mermaids swimming, engine rev's that do not match your car, and repeating racing cars on freeways. Alpines new line is more sleek and sophisticated, getting away from their older clock-radio displays.

Sorry to bring up and old thread but I felt like ranting...

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is a fine deck im guessing you are using an ipod or are going to get a changer, im sure you can still do some back seat video stuff if you want as far as speaker go JL Audio has a few nice replacement speakers for you ride they have like 5 different levels starting at like 180 for a set up to 850 i have heard the mid levels sound good but as with any thing you get what you pay for i have a custom box that i just finished that i will post on here soon the components i have sitting waiting are MB Quart 6 4 tweet and 6 tweet for the rear i just have to figure out how to get the 6 and 4 in the front doors.

sometimes it will be trial and error till you get the right speakers to you liking

Keith

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got my sound installed and posted all my pics and crap for it. I dont feel like copy and pasting it all onto this site, but if you look in the Audio/Security sections of other ford forums (not a escape proprietary site) you will find my post. I would post a link here but im sure it would be against the rules.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello slick9115. Best of luck with your new audio system. :) Hows the weather over there? :welcome: :party: :happy: :beer: Anyway ' Wilkommen das escape stadt ' = Welcome to escape city.

·
Registered
31 Posts
stone said:
Hello slick9115. Best of luck with your new audio system. :) Hows the weather over there? :welcome: :party: :happy: :beer: Anyway ' Wilkommen das escape stadt ' = Welcome to escape city.
Very nice German! Mein deutsch ist nicht so gut. Ich lerne *only* eine woche. But ya, I just got my Escape last year and just now started modding it. I'll post some pics when it's not so cold and im not so busy.

::Edit::

Weather is cold and snowing still ;)

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Ich spreche Deutsch zu!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
It's too bad that you are having Issues with your JVC...the last few HU's I've had were JVC, but from their upscale "Arsenal" Series. They were userfriendly, sounded great, had very low distortion, and easy to connect to things. If I replace the Stock HU in my Escape, it's going to be another Arsenal from JVC, and my front stage and rear stages are going to be Either Infinity, or JBL (6x8 component set up front, and 6x8 coaxials in the rear doors). If I have to change the factory Sub, I'll just get another 8" Sub to put in the stock enclosure (Infinity or JBL), and put a slightly larger amp in there too, like a D-Class that's 250+ RMS in mono, but runs cool and has a small footprint to put inside the 1/4 panel. That'll be it...use stock locations, stock wires (well, maybe an RCA for aftermarket amp).

Let us know how things go for you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.