Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently one of the kids went somewhere and now my Wife's IE search is jacked. You can go to sites directly, you can search just fine (With any SE), but when you click on a search result, it takes forever than goes someplace all togate unrelated!
example: Google "Crap", click on wicipedia result, end up on infomash.org, or some other site.

Macafee Security Center was all ready running (Not to say a kid didn't ignore a message?)
Ran a complete scan, Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D, finally Malewarebytes. That seemed to fix it when I went to bed, I wake up she left me not saying it's still broken; and sure enough it's doing the same thing again.

It only affects IE (8), chrome works just fine. Obviously she's scared of what it could be tracking (IE credit cards, banks, pass words, etc)

Searching the net doesn't find much, some hits from 5years ago, basicly says to do what I did.

Any other advise, links, tips, short of a system restore from CD?

TIA group, I know ya'all are awesome.

PS My IE is working fine, so so far it's contained to her PC.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Check your add-ons list for anything suspicious. If you have Vista or 7, you should try running IE without addons.

In Vista, it's "ie.exe -addons" I think. Another way to disable your add-ons is to go through tools -> manage add-ons and then disable all (even Flash, just to cover all your bases for w/e reason) and see if anything happens there.

I'd suggest AVG Free as an anti-virus scanner. It did a better job than my college's custom Symantec POS.

If it's all clear, then it's probably an add-on. If not, PM me and I'll give you an e-mail addy. I do a lot of things like this for my friends. Maybe remote access is required :OP

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Sorry forgot to mention is XP (MCE) whatever the lastest patch is (SP3?), & IE 8, latest patch

Tried disabeling all add-on's, still searching fine, but links are hyjacked :(

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
That is really strange. I can't think of anything else right-right now. I will think about it as the laundry spins. Check your Add/Remove Programs list for any odd programs that might have been installed recently? And... pardon the French, but is that thing about driveways new in your signature or something else?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I haven't looked thru add/remove programs; but I know the list is HUGE!
I'll have to do more googleing when I get home.
The Driveway in my sig is new, not hijacked, cheap advertising for my new business I just started. Is it too much?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
It looked out of place, lol! And the voice ad was really creepy at first, but it's an appropriate tone for an advertisement. I will PM you some contact information if you wanna reach me that way.

·
Registered
280 Posts
http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

If you feel comfortable with computers, Hijack This! is a very good tool for removing unwanted crud. Basically it determines what startup items are running by searching through various places in the Windows Registry and allows you to remove those items. It also shows what search settings have been changed. This is an advanced tool and will not automatically find all the bad stuff for you. It will display a list of everything it finds--good or bad--and it's up to you to determine what to remove.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There are many places that a "virus" might hide. But in this case since you cant find anyting with a good quality virus scan then the "virus" may be hiding as as program or script. It may be somewhere in the IE exe.(startup) files . Use that other program that was mentioned above and see what comes up. The reason I quoted virus a I mentioned above, it may be a program that seems totaly legit. There are 2 things that can be done after rechecking for the virus. Uninstall IE and install a fresh version. If not then a clean install must be done. If you are comfortable with computer for future cases make 2 partitions 1) for the operating system and program files 2) For all personal files and "program starters" (you know the first thing that you download before the comp unzips the files and asks you where you want to fut the program) This way when this happen again you cam reformat your comp without losing all you personal info. And the best thing is that most viruss attack operationg systems and other operating files (IE, itunes, media player, etc) Not dormant files like you pics and music.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help. I ran Hijack this too, but didn't understand the results. I didn't see anything obvious (like I'M A TROJAN PROGRAM!!!!)

No every other resrt it's giving a winlogon.exe error and crashes (BSOD), reboot, and it just says winlongon had a problem, but then works 'fine'. Safe mode won't start either, get the same winlongon error, but everytime it crashes to BSOD.

(Could this be more than just a hijack search results?!)

I uninstalled some programs, nothing obvious, & IE. Tried to reinstall IE7, it failed to copy a file, but aparently 6 was still there. so I did a search in 6, still got the same results :(

I'm gonna try to follow some steps on this site: http://www.computing.net/answers/securi ... 30251.html

and see if it fixes it. otherwise it'll be faster to just reinstall the restore cd/dvd's!

OK, ran CCcleaner & malware (found 1 thing) cleaned it, reboot (no winlongon error at all), but results still hijacked :cuss:

OSKERB, I'd like to make 2 partions, but with factory restore discs now, instead of the old fasioned OS discs, I don't think I can.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
It is possible, your computer has a virus somewhere.
I experienced a similar problem in the past.
You might have to format the drives first,then re-install system after.

Yes i sympathise and know it is a thorough pain.
At the moment, i am using " NORTON 360 " anti-virus program.

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I had the same problems a few months ago. I went and cleared the cookies, temp internet files, and browsing history. Then I did a restore to a earlier date and I was fine. MY 16 year old swore he was only on "kids sites" :doh: :hyst:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
weebee said:
I had the same problems a few months ago. I went and cleared the cookies, temp internet files, and browsing history. Then I did a restore to a earlier date and I was fine. MY 16 year old swore he was only on "kids sites" :doh: :hyst:
Same here, I only checked my email!!!! even tho their Facebook page had several updates done to it....

Strangely even tho enabled, there wasn't a previous restore point :(

Wonder if a windows restore would do any good (ie a re-install from the restore CD's vs a full blown restore)

I don't mind doing a restore, it just takes days to get everything back to 'normal', programs, favorites, etc.

Also something I haven't seen in the long 'fix' threads, is how to prevent it from happening again?

We both have Macafee sucurity suite, so AV, Firewall, etc, suposedly monitoring the system.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You can try the restore but I dint think it will work. If you end up doing the reformat make the 2 partitions, you can make the partions after you reboot with the cd in you have to erase the current partitions and make 2 NEW ones. When doing this you have to tell it what size you want the partitions to be for the OS you should go with 30GB or if you use alot of programs go with 40GB. Then the rest of the disk space can be allocated for personal spac for your PROGRAM STARTERS, copy of yourFAVORITES, pics, video, etc. This will cut back on that time lost to get everyhting back to normal. I do a full reformat once to twice a year and the comp runs fine and new everytime. And the way the partitions are set up there is little down time.
08HybridOK said:
Same here, I only checked my email!!!! even tho their Facebook page had several updates done to it....

Strangely even tho enabled, there wasn't a previous restore point :(

Wonder if a windows restore would do any good (ie a re-install from the restore CD's vs a full blown restore)

I don't mind doing a restore, it just takes days to get everything back to 'normal', programs, favorites, etc.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well messed with it all day, didn't get anywhere :(
ran numerous programs, multiple times, just couldn't get around the redirects! Hope noone else gets what it is!

I just started a full system restore, now only days to go until it's back up to date, and re loaded ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I was going to ask you to post a log of what Hijack This found, but it sounds like you already evacuated and nuked the site from orbit--also a good choice. :D

From what I understand, in Windows XP it is possible for viruses to hide in your System Restore cache. This means that doing a restore will also restore the virus. I'm not sure if newer versions of Windows fixed this. If you do ever have a problem like that, then your best bet is to disable System Restore (which will will delete all restore points) and re-enable it once your computer is clean again. Then make a restore point right there.

You can get Windows Defender for XP, I think. It's a pretty good anti-spyware program and I'm pretty sure it has can do some of the same stuff Hijack This can, although it might be easier to do with Defender.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The J said:
I was going to ask you to post a log of what Hijack This found, but it sounds like you already evacuated and nuked the site from orbit--also a good choice. :D

From what I understand, in Windows XP it is possible for viruses to hide in your System Restore cache. This means that doing a restore will also restore the virus. I'm not sure if newer versions of Windows fixed this. If you do ever have a problem like that, then your best bet is to disable System Restore (which will will delete all restore points) and re-enable it once your computer is clean again. Then make a restore point right there.

You can get Windows Defender for XP, I think. It's a pretty good anti-spyware program and I'm pretty sure it has can do some of the same stuff Hijack This can, although it might be easier to do with Defender.
If you wanna take a crack at it, I posted the logs on here, hoping for some help; but timing is everything, Sun/Mon is my weekend, gotta get it done sooner than later...

http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-m ... -plus.html

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I've had hijack issues before. Mostly from fake virus scanners somehow getting on the PC's at work or friend/family PC's. I've been able to remove some of the infections with Malwarebytes but not all of them. If MWB doesn't work I do a reformat. I know it will be clean after this and I don't want to spend hours looking for a solution that I probably won't find...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.