Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Escape and was thinking of replacing the speakers and powering them with a 4 channel amp, while keeping the stock head unit. I've gone through all the Audio/Video threads and haven't seen a thread on exactly what I want to do.

I'm thinking of buying either a Kenwood KAC-8404 or a Sony Xplod XM-4S. These amps take a speaker level in and power on when they sense a signal in the speaker wires. I'm assuming this is my best bet since I want to keep the stock head unit and don't really want to find and splice into a power source for the remote.

My biggest concern is extending the speaker wires from the head unit to the amp and then the speaker wires from the amp to the stock speaker wires in the dash. I would like to put the amp under the driver side seat but am worried that there isn't enough room in the door sill trim to run 16 speaker wires + power cable from the amp to behind the dash.

Does anyone here have this setup? Any thoughts on these amps? What kind of speakers would you recommend with one of these amps?

Any help would be appreciated and if this has been covered before, sorry about that and could you please direct me to the thread?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ludachrls83 said:
I have a 2010 Escape and was thinking of replacing the speakers and powering them with a 4 channel amp, while keeping the stock head unit. I've gone through all the Audio/Video threads and haven't seen a thread on exactly what I want to do.

I'm thinking of buying either a Kenwood KAC-8404 or a Sony Xplod XM-4S. These amps take a speaker level in and power on when they sense a signal in the speaker wires. I'm assuming this is my best bet since I want to keep the stock head unit and don't really want to find and splice into a power source for the remote.

My biggest concern is extending the speaker wires from the head unit to the amp and then the speaker wires from the amp to the stock speaker wires in the dash. I would like to put the amp under the driver side seat but am worried that there isn't enough room in the door sill trim to run 16 speaker wires + power cable from the amp to behind the dash.

Does anyone here have this setup? Any thoughts on these amps? What kind of speakers would you recommend with one of these amps?

Any help would be appreciated and if this has been covered before, sorry about that and could you please direct me to the thread?

Thanks
A few thoughts:

The doors already rattle, so consider adding proper deadening (geez I sound like a broken record) to the doors to improve bass performance, as well as resonance and rattling issues...adding power only adds to distortion. Remember deadening doesn't mean slap a bunch of "Dynamat" on the door panel. There's more to it as my posts have directed.

You don't need to power the rears with more power than they have. Rear speakers drive the sound stage away from the front, and shove it down behind your head where it shouldn't be. More power only exacerbates the issue. Consider powering just the fronts and perhaps a sub instead.

I'm not a fan of your amps, simply because both brands (and I'm counting non eXcelon Kenwood amps here, and ALL Sony non ES Japan amps) suck. However they do what you are asking of them so for that reason they are fine.

There is sufficient room in the sill panels for 4 gauge power wire, and you can use 4 conductor 16ga in-wall rated wire for runs to and fro. I usually run my speaker wire in the centerline, to keep line noise out of the signal.

Your results may vary with the '10 model, but my '08 has significant distortion coming from the HU. With a processor I was able to re-EQ the signal back to semi-flat and get decent response. Replacing the HU with aftermarket made a significant improvement in sound quality, since garbage in = garbage out. Beware of this.

Lastly...stock speakers are efficient but not exactly solid performers with regard to detail, clarity, accuracy, etc. They aren't terrible, but expect an amp to simply make them show their deficiencies quickly. You will not get one more ounce of bass from them without deadening, however. So don't try.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Amp suggestions:

http://www.powermaxelectronics.com/prod ... ategory=10
Cadence Xa 125.4

Buy this thing, it is a surprise contender because the internals are identical (as far as we can tell) to an ARC audio high end amp. This is not a regular CV amp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/CERWIN-VEGA-EXL-400 ... 5635ed3af1

Here's the thread talking about their awesomeness:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy ... ics-6.html

I have more suggestions, but once I ran by that CV, I stopped because that's a hell of an amp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.