Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can the escapes 05 and newer handle the terrain as well as the escapes with the manual 4wd?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Welcome to E-C!

I'd say yes, since the system that Ford started using in '05 can react much faster than the older system. It's actually more of an AWD system than a true 4WD system, so it won't perform as well as a system that actually locks differentials.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i took the plunge. found some trails near the house. had a couple of mud holes probably 2' deep or so, she did fine. went through some heavy under growth, even over a mound or two. the mounds are 18" to24" tall, she did good. wish i would had better tires, right now i have kumho solaris, street radials, they did ok, but would have preferred a good set of michelins.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if kumho makes a good trail tire i will get it, the michelin comment not meant as a knock on kumhos these have held up great so far. but for serious trail riding, i do need something besides street radials. :bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Have you looked at Tire Rack's site? Here's a link with 235/70-16 already filtered:

http://tinyurl.com/6jqvnm

You can filter tires by performance type (such as On-/Off-Road All-Terrain, Off-Road Maximum Traction, and more), and then see ratings for tires in that category.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
I just got Ford Destination A/T's for my Escape...man these tires are quiet, ride perfect and were dirt cheap!! I have a thread up about them in the Exterior Mods forum...

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Nothing. A joke. Me being stupid. Could have said "Thanks for sharing" or something equally inane.

But anyhoo. It didn't come over, so let's forget the whole affair..... :whistle:

:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Serious trail riding = Firestone Destination M/T. I almost got a set of these before I realized, "Hey, I only have FWD." :doh:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Aw, c'mon.

Adding a driveshaft, rear differential, and axles would be child's play for you.

20 minutes, tops.

:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts

Don't think I haven't considered it. Cost is the only thing putting me off - ~$4000 for the conversion, vs. a $500 option at the dealer. I kick myself every time I feel wheelspin in the snow.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Turdle ate his extra cash.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
As smart as Squishy sounds on this board it makes me wonder his intellect in real life...

:bill:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Uh-oh. Those are fightin' words.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I was a new driver at the time and didn't think I would need it. To be fair, even a FWD Escape has not gotten me stuck on the road yet.

Scott, you're moving up the list. :box:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts