Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

i am trying to install a tripple gauge and ive never installed a water temp or oil preasure gauge.They are mechanical gauges not electrical.

Does anyone know the best locations to tap into for the water temp and oil preasure?

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm a few days late to this thread...

Do you really want to run mechanical gauges? That means coolant and oil lines being plummed through your front dash (firewall) to the actual gauge. If you run electric gauges, far more accurate than stock - it's simply a matter of tapping into where the oil pressure sensor is and also where the coolant temp sensor is (T-off the original to retain the stock sensors as well as add your new ones)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I installed the 3 gauges and ran the lines to the engine bay however they are not near long enough and the gauges im not happy with they arent very good quality so i am going to look for better electrical gauges this time.

Does anyone know where the location of the oil pres sensor is along with water temp to tap into when i get the electrical gauges?

Also any good sources for gauges in canada?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use an oil filter sandwich adapter (from glo-shift) for my electric oil sending unit because on my 06 XLT V6 there isn't enough room to fool with the stock sensor which is basically an on/off switch for the dash light. on some models the stock unit also sends a cutoff command to the fuel pump when the oil light comes on. I would ask your dealer if your model does this before attempting anything with the stock sender.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i just installed mechanical oil last week. there is a pipe plug under the oil sending unit that is normally used to do a pressure check. use this on. it will require a metric adapter. Auto meter has one, part # 2268. you can penetrate to the interior through the throttle cable opening on the firewall. i used the copper line for better readings. if your lines arent long enough you will need to get some adapters and another length of line to install wherever you want. the gage is on the lower dash side in line with the gas pedal. works great.

the temp sending unit is right below and behind the throttle body. you will need to use a T fitting to install this one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Also take a look at Equus gages for both mechanical and electrical. Installing will take the same effort. The sending unit is located behind the oil filter and the plug for mechanical is right below it.
Temp unit is behind and below throttle body. If I could figure out how to post a dang picture of my install I would. J also hsed one run of the copper tubing using the Autometer 2268 adapter and a 90 fitting to run straight up the block between 3&4 COP and into the dash using throttle cable access hole.
To keep from having to use a 2nd run of tubing the gage is mounted on lower dash next to console.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts