Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front windows seem to jump track while closing if I'm driving faster than 40 mph. Aside from that the panel around my door handle starting coming off, not sure what started it as I didn't notice anything before and had the windows down today since it was so nice. If someone knows how to fix the windows and panel that would be amazing! It's a wonderful vehicle and I hate to see it start coming apart!!!!! I can't figure out how to upload images, I will if someone can help me with that as well

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sounds like the interior door panel will have to be removed in order to examine the inner workings. Perhaps a guide or track has become loose allowing the window to walk out of place.

As for the material becoming unglued, you may have to completely remove the fabric and seal the panel and the back of the fabric with some sort of paint in order to provide a smooth surface for a spray adhesive to stick permanently.

Some members have even gone as far as replacing the fabric on all four doors because the issue had become so severe.

If I remember correctly, the loose bits of foam that remain stuck to the panel will also have to be removed before it can be sealed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Possibly not the official method, but I reattached the fabric [in my 2001 Escape] easily enough using a liberal coating of rubber cement. Smooth fabric by hand and use a credit card to work the fabric in around the edges. Has held up for several years now [in Hawaii].

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for checking the window track, anyone know of a guide on how to properly remove the door panel and assess the track?

When adhering the leather fabric back on, do I need to remove it completely or can i just adhere whats come off thus far?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Provoxt said:
As for checking the window track, anyone know of a guide on how to properly remove the door panel and assess the track? ...
In Problems & Solutions there's a How-to: Articles section that might have a topic w diagrams &/or pics.
As for regluing the panel, 3M probably has an appropriate spray adhesive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Provoxt said:
As for checking the window track, anyone know of a guide on how to properly remove the door panel and assess the track?

When adhering the leather fabric back on, do I need to remove it completely or can i just adhere whats come off thus far?
Ok 1st.. As far as removing the door panel that is a piece of cake. there are only two screws. One in the bottom of the door handle and the second behind the little cover where the pull handle is. After you remove those two screws just pull starting at the bottom of the door panel. It is just plastic snap clips holding it on after you take out the two screws.

Second the door panel material coming loose. Unless you do not care if it looks like *** take it to a trim shop. This is a common problem. I tried to re-glue mine and it looked horrible. I then bought material and tried to redo it completely. That came out even worse. I then took it to a local trim shop and he redid the two front doors for $70 labor. He tried talking me into doing the back also at the same time for $120 labor. I declined because the backs looked fine at that point. Well it was not 2 weeks after I got the two fronts fixed that the one of the two backs came loose. So my advice take them somewhere and have all 4 done at the same time. The trim shop said it was a common problem and just a bad design in the escape and one that they see almost weekly In fact when I picked up my back two the trim shop had two front ones from another escape in the shop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts