Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
---I'm getting up there in age, so I take some herbal supplements.

Flaxseed oil. For high Triglicerides. Yes, dropped 100 points, 6 mos.
Apple Cider Vinegar tablets. Weight loss. Yes l0 lbs after 60 days.
Co Emzyme Q10. Anti aging, heart. Seems to work, getting compliments about looking better also knees are less painful.
Red wine extract. High Cholesteral. Don't know yet.
Red Rice Yeast. High Cholesteral. Don't know yet.
(will find out after next blood work is done)

Herbs I would like to know more about, Tumeric and Allicillin, plus other
that you use, reason and results.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
I eat a spoonful of flaxseed powder with my cereal - I used to know why, but all I know now is that it's good for me. :doh:

I also take lutein supplements, which are supposed to help absorb harmful light wavelengths and reduce eye damage related to age.

Garlic is also supposed to be good - it's not really a supplement, I just like to put garlic powder in everything I eat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,362 Posts
Squishy said:
Garlic is also supposed to be good - it's not really a supplement, I just like to put garlic powder in everything I eat.
Does it keep the zombies away?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Saw Palmetto. Keeps the plumbing open.

Garlic. No bears, no vampires, no issues going out at night... :peace:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Fish oil EPA and DHA, too many positive statements for heart and brain to ignore.
Lots of Turmeric (Curcumin) for joint inflammation and pain. One of the best cox 2 inhibitors without the nasty side effects. Tried everything from Ibuprofen, Cataflam, Robaxin, Relefen, Celebrex... bleh! Tears up my stomach. Joints are pretty beat up from 25+ years of Concrete construction.
Re: Turmeric: Some great write ups from CSU local Vet school, on the many benefits they are finding in animals from pain relief to slowing specific cancers. My old lab with a blown knee and arthritic elbow took it for years with me and better results than Rimadyl, which like many are potentially toxic to liver.
Just had knee surgery Friday for 2 tears in meniscus, lots of shredded cartilage and arthritis clean up. Loaded up on Turmeric and Ester C a few days before. No bruising and zero swelling. My PT said he couldn't believe I had surgery three days previous and I don't need to return for any follow ups. Stairs, walking, shoveling snow. Little stiff, but feels great.
Not a big herbalist, but if something works... :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BLKXLT said:
Fish oil EPA and DHA, too many positive statements for heart and brain to ignore.
Lots of Turmeric (Curcumin) for joint inflammation and pain. One of the best cox 2 inhibitors without the nasty side effects. Tried everything from Ibuprofen, Cataflam, Robaxin, Relefen, Celebrex... bleh! Tears up my stomach. Joints are pretty beat up from 25+ years of Concrete construction.
Re: Turmeric: Some great write ups from CSU local Vet school, on the many benefits they are finding in animals from pain relief to slowing specific cancers. My old lab with a blown knee and arthritic elbow took it for years with me and better results than Rimadyl, which like many are potentially toxic to liver.
Just had knee surgery Friday for 2 tears in meniscus, lots of shredded cartilage and arthritis clean up. Loaded up on Turmeric and Ester C a few days before. No bruising and zero swelling. My PT said he couldn't believe I had surgery three days previous and I don't need to return for any follow ups. Stairs, walking, shoveling snow. Little stiff, but feels great.
Not a big herbalist, but if something works... :thumb:
--I'm absolutely putting Turmeric on my list. Both knees shot, but due to both my youngest daughter and my sister dying in separate hospitals, three months apart, from 'Nurse's' mistakes, I'm really hesitant about getting them replaced.
Fresh Pineapple, daily two weeks previous to surgery, and no bruising will
occur at all (granddaughter's plastic surgeon for nose job made her do this)
I saw her the day after her procedure, and no black eyes etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jonas1022 said:
Saw Palmetto. Keeps the plumbing open.

Garlic. No bears, no vampires, no issues going out at night... :peace:
Hubby uses Saw Palmetto, and swears by it.

Re: Garlic - Looks like over in Europe they're are going nuts over it to combat the Swine flu. I guess you can add pigs to that list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Squishy said:
I eat a spoonful of flaxseed powder with my cereal - I used to know why, but all I know now is that it's good for me. :doh:

I also take lutein supplements, which are supposed to help absorb harmful light wavelengths and reduce eye damage related to age.

Garlic is also supposed to be good - it's not really a supplement, I just like to put garlic powder in everything I eat.
--Didn't know Flaxseed came in powdered form. I read about the 'oil' in Prevention
Magazine about 7 years ago and have been using it since.
I read that Lutein is good for the eyes, but didn't know why, --thanks for
the information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,629 Posts
Predominantly garlic.
Yes it does help.
I allways have, honey in my coffee or tea.

Not keen on sugar. It has been refined too much.
Periodically i take Valerian.
I have mild insomnia.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top