Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Escape XLS 2.0L 4-cylinder 5MT FWD. 69,900 miles. Purchased used ~three years ago; I keep it well maintained.

Howdy. I'm getting a P0304 code - cylinder 4 misfire.
The 4-cyl escape has a coil pack (not COPs) with one coil firing cylinders 1-4 & the other coil firing 2-3.
Since it always the same misfire code on cyl 4, can I assume the problem is not w the ignition coil?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued... Here's the basic story....

My car started running poorly w a hesitation primarily under brisk acceleration, and it's worse w the A/C on. If I feather the throttle & drive the car real easy, I can avoid the bad hesitation & the Escape seems to run okay. There was no check engine light at first, so I replaced the DPFE sensor & checked the EGR valve. no help. I replaced two vacuum lines & the other lines seem fine w no cracking or anything. no help. I replaced the pcv valve & tubing. no help.

When the CEL came on, the code was a P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire (Advanced auto parts).
Although the old spark plugs & spark plug wires checked out fine, I replaced them w Autolite double platinums & a Motorcraft plug wire set. no help. After doing each thing, then disconnecting/reconnecting the neg battery cable, the P0304 always returns.

I was going to go ahead & replace the coil pack a while back.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like it's gonna be the coil pack. If someone can give you the resistance values for the coil packs, you can measure them to see if they are within specs. Good luck!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I didn't see a resistance measurement in the Ford troubleshooting manual: I compared the two sides to see if there's any difference, but they're the same.* Also, the coil pack looks to be an integrated unit, so you can't simply swap anything around. I was originally thinking that if the problem was w the ignition coil, then I'd get a P0301 code as well, since the same coil fires 1 & 4. But I suppose there could be a problem w the coil tower where the plug wire attaches. Also, I was expecting that if the problem was w the coil, there's supposed to be a P035X code w X=1,2,3,or4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with my 01 and found it to be 2 bad coil packs. (Although i have COP it still sounds like its your coil pack(s)) we replaced them all and it ran great for 500 miles then started again. Spent time/money replacing nearly every sensor and the injectors only to find it was another pack because one of the new ones was defective. The car has run great now for the past 3000 miles. I would check the packs or is you have money take it to someone with a scope so they can check the power on each pack. (Mine were only putting out about 25 percent power when they went bad causing the rough idle, missing and hesitation. Let us know what you find out!
Ryan

·
Registered
187 Posts
A good way to troubleshoot a bad coil is to swap it with a different on on the engine [Say switch coild packs 1 and 4] and then see if the trouble code follows to the cyclinder where the suspected bad coil pack is. Saves you a lot of money and heart ache looking for electrical problems...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2.0L 4-cyl Escape has a coil pack (not COPs) that appears to be one unit: I don't think you can simply swap stuff around.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well, another route is the fuel injector is either clogged or going bad. You could try running some injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner through and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I had similar issues, but couldn't get a satisfactory answer from my mechanic so I just went to Advance auto and picked up a coil pack and slapped it on myself, figured I'd take it back if it didn't work. Made it run like a new truck and it's been running like a charm since. :thumb:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a couple of fuel treatments already (Seafoam & Techron), which I also do once or twice a year anyway & I use good gasoline (usually Chevron). The fuel filter has less than 10k miles. The 2.0 I4 doesn't have a handy schrader valve on the fuel rail, so I haven't checked that. I bought injector o-rings & the special tool for disconnecting the fuel line, but I think I also need to get some fuel rail o-rings.

I ordered a new Motorcraft ignition coil pack from RockAuto yesterday, so I'll give that a go before bothering w anything else.
Thanks to all for the input. JMK.

Edit & PS: The new ignition coil pack solved the problem. It sure would've been nice if the system threw a code for a coil problem. And it would've helped if the CEL came on sooner. Oh well, the hesitation n stuff are fixed. As a side note, the replacement coil was made in China - bummer. The replacement Motorcraft IAC for my car was made in Japan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts