Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all the members on this forum! Ford guy here, I own 2 explorers and my girl friend of 3 years would like to get an Escape so thinking of trading one of them in on one but have some general questions. We want to get a 4wd model. We are looking at the first generation of Escape because we're a young couple and don't have money to blow on new car payments and would like to know what are common problems on these to look for? Do these have actual transfer cases like a truck? From online pictures it looks like these are primarily front wheel drive so are they a pita to work on when an accessory goes bad? What's the typical gas mileage for the 4X4 model? Are there typical weak spots in the drive train or power train? Sorry for all the questions and the LOOOONG introduction but I want to know what I'm looking at when I personally look at one because I'm a do it yourself'er kinda guy. Thank you all for the easy registration process! I tried registering on a different escape forum a couple days before I found this one and still wasn't approved to do anything on there so I'll be sticking with this Escape forum.

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
420 Posts
i have an 05 limited v6 4x4... gas milage so far.... trip computer showed 15.. actual 15.5 best.... has been right around 14.7 most of the time. i have only had for a few months, so i dont know what problems are common. ur right, front wheel drive until tires slip then it goes to 4x4 automaticly, it seems to work flawlessly so far.
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
No it doesn't have an actual T-case. It either has a rotary coupling with 4WH or an electric coupling with 4WH. No 4Lo. but you'd be amazed at the quality of grip it gets. i 4X4 the crap out of my Escape and it does fine. The only major changes are the front and rear suspensions. the couplings work great unless you want to rock crawl..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Welcome, that fuel mileage is horrible, I'd expect better from a car built SUV. My Explorer gets 20mpg with 31's and stock gears....Not discriminating against the Escape I just don't think that's too good but everyone gets different readings depending on where they live and the type of driving they do. Have you ever calculated the mpg yourself or do you always go by the computer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
megascape said:
No it doesn't have an actual T-case. It either has a rotary coupling with 4WH or an electric coupling with 4WH. No 4Lo. but you'd be amazed at the quality of grip it gets. i 4X4 the crap out of my Escape and it does fine. The only major changes are the front and rear suspensions. the couplings work great unless you want to rock crawl..
Really? That's interesting....I was curious as to the strength these have I wouldn't wheel it being that its hers but I'd be tempted to try light wheeling with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Welcome! I have an '01 Escape. Has averaged 21 mpg day in day out for 9 years. I wished it was better - until I bought my wife a New Beetle convertible that also gets 21 mpg. Now 21 doesn't seem too bad for an SUV.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I get about 20mpg average in my 4 cylinder 4x4.

It does pretty good off road, the low ground clearance is a hindrance sometimes. I've been able to pull myself out of some tricky spots after getting off in the ditch and such. On slick surfaces like snow it is outright awesome.

:welcome:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Welcome's guys and information on the gas mileage. What are common issues on these to look for when looking at one?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
http://www.ford-forums.com/
the Ford Forum board has lots of info. But my experience is the people on this board have the same knowledge but are more willing to get in depth about problems and fixes etc..

as far as off-road, I'm in a Jeep club and can pretty much hang as long as there is no crawling involved. Also when the couplings engage there is a little slippage just before the actual engagement. I don't recommend doing anything w/o stiffening the front coils, but like you said it's hers. Enjoy!! I have been into off-road rigs since '89 and am real pleased with the Escape since making the mods. I think you guys will enjoy it. Get seat covers first off would be my suggestion and the next would be to get some diff tires if the Conti's are still on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We were lookin at an XLT on the net with leather seats it was pretty nice. I don't think suv's should have street tires unless they're lowered and no 4X4 suv in my driveway will be lowered lol so it would probably get a/t's. From what I like to do off road I'm probably better sticking with my 2 speed transfer case but I like to know that its capable for wheeling just don't want it all scratched and banged up lol. Are there any small lifts for these like coil spacers or anything?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yeah there is a lift out China but then there are 1.25" coil springs through Canuck Motorsports. I did some rear end mods and just ordered a set of custom struts from Carrera Custom shocks to meet the specs of the RS5000 in the front and replaced the Ford shock brackets and spacers with a 49 set of willys brackets and spacers to run a set of RS9000. I can't wait to get my struts. I currently am using 2 coil stabilizers on the 1.25 coils from CMS. Not a bad ride with the stabilizers but compared to the rear end it's still pretty bouncy..

·
Registered
420 Posts
Glen4X4 said:
Thanks for the Welcome, that fuel mileage is horrible, I'd expect better from a car built SUV. My Explorer gets 20mpg with 31's and stock gears....Not discriminating against the Escape I just don't think that's too good but everyone gets different readings depending on where they live and the type of driving they do. Have you ever calculated the mpg yourself or do you always go by the computer?
i go by both, the comp showed 15 and actual came out to 15.5... there has been snow and cold weather, so maybe it will get better mpg when spring and summer come around.... i went with the limited because of the heated leather seats, moonroof, 6cd/7speaker sound system, and tow pckg... well, and the prestige of having the limited..hmm.. hmm... maybe i let u come over and mow my lawn Danny... :lol: ..sorry just seen caddyshack recently.. for the 20th time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sounds nice because I think it'd look nice with a 1inch boost in height. And it would be nice to have a limited version I've seen that trim for ex's and the options are really nice. Seems like it would be better to get the V6 version since the 4banger gets the same gas mileage. I seen the 4banger has the same motor as what my ZX2 did (2.0 DOHC 16V Zetec) and with them they like to have a descent rev before they take off and when ya have a loaded car they bog a little too easy. Nice to see your all friendly here! I've been a member of the explorer forum for a couple years so was hoping I could find another nice forum like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a V6 and get about 19 in the city and 22 on the highway.

As far as problems go, I've had a few things go wrong with mine that seem to be somewhat common, at least based on comments from the dealer or seeing people with similar issues in the forums. One is that the rear window wiper motor seizes up. It's happened to me twice since we've owned it. Another is that one of the parts in the power moonroof breaks and it will stop moving on one side. The dealer quoted $1,500 to repair, so now it's just a skylight.

I've also had the vinyl trim insert on the door panels start to fall off, so you'll probably want to make sure the trim is still firmly attached to all the doors, with no bubbles or curled edges. Once it started, it went quick.

The first generation Escapes (or the 2001's anyway - I'm not sure if/when Ford addressed the problem) with an automatic transmission also had some problems with a transmission shudder. For me, as I was easing up on the gas pedal to settle in at 40 - 45 MPH, I'd hear a little rumble for a couple of seconds, and feel it in the steering wheel. It kind of felt like you were driving over very little rumble strips. A transmission fluid flush took care of that for the most part - it hardly ever happens anymore.

Finally, the low coolant sensor in the coolant tank has been known to go bad, causing one of the warning lights on the dash to stay lit all the time. You have to replace the tank to fix it.

This kind of seems like a lot of problems, but it's all been spread out over the life of the car, so it hasn't been too bad. Just some things to look out for...

You may have already come across it, but there's a Common Problems topic at the top of the Problems and Solutions section that covers some of these issues, and other ones as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that info, that isn't too many problems. And thanks for the tip on the common problems section I didn't take notice, I'll check it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts