Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Am new in these parts, my name's Tristan, live in Cornwall, UK and have (finally) just bought a 2003 Maverick 2.0 XLT.

I've also got a Ford Capri 280 tucked away in the garage that only comes out to play whe it's sunny here - so not very often then...

Just wanted to say hi, and ask a few questions if I may.

The Mav I've bought is 95k, black and fully loaded with leather and cruise etc.

However, the clutch is pretty heavy and marring my enjoyment of a brilliant car a bit at the mo - has anyone had this at all and found a suitable remedy?

Also - how do you remove the rear load cover? I searched for ages for the right car that had one and as I don't have a driver's guide with the car, I can't figure out how it comes out - have tried moving it from side to side but it doesn't feel like it's spring loaded...

Any help gratefully received! Will get some pics up as soon as I can.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi! :welcome:

I can't answer your first question since mine's an auto. The cargo cover in mine is spring-loaded, but it does take effort to remove it (heavy springs, maybe?). If you look at each end of the cover, you should see a plastic "cup" thingy. Grab it and pull it inward toward the center of the cargo cover and it should give enough for you to remove the cover.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Hi there trissybabes :hi:

I hope you get many happy miles/kms out of your Maverick. I don't know about the clutch but the cargo shade is spring loaded. Basically pull the plastic end cap away from the side panel until it pulls out of the mounting hole. Here is a diagram from the owners manual:

(if you don't see the image, try hitting refresh on your browser)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Welcome to the city Tristan :welcome:

On my Escape, the clutch and really most controls are stiff compared to other vehicles. I've gotten used to it and actually like the firm feeling of the clutch and steering, as to me it feels like it's working smoothly and working well with no wear or play in it. Not to say that yours may not actually have some kind of issue, but in my experience driving other vehicles I'd describe mine as being more "tight" than average.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Tristan,
Welcome to EC. I visited your part of the world a few years ago. I'd say it's the best part of England.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
Welcome to the City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :peace:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Welcome to the boards Tristan!

I used to live in Cornwall! (Vermont USA that is, probebly not the same as living in the UK)

I can't offer any advice with the clutch except your lucky, the auto transmission is terrible, but you should be able to pull that cargo cover out easy, maybe it's just stiff from never being removed. Good luck and post some pictures soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm reception! Love this site - so many forums I've been on have just been "out of the box", so it's great to see some thought has gone into the banner and presentation etc!

Guess I'll be needing to eat some more spinach to build up those muscles then! Am getting used to the clutch now but I did drive a couple of other Mavericks before plumping for this one and they weren't anywhere near as much hard work as this one - if only I could have agreed a deal on one of those!

Here's the beast I acquired:

Taken at a small hamlet called Porthgwarra near Lands End this afternoon - the nearest point of the UK I could find to the States!

I shall be taking some more interesting pics of the Mav as I get a chance - I do lighpainted images of various places and objects in my spare time, so the Maverick will become the recipient of my illuminating interest very soon!

One other quickie I have noticed a bit of what I would describe as "drivetrain shunt" when driving at constant speeds - the car feels like it's shunting through the 4 wheel drive system a bit and doesn't feel terribly smooth - could this be down to the tansmission fluid needing a change - as I've read about in the troubleshooting section? Or does this only apply to auto models?

I've been looking for the right Maverick for about 10 months now - but they are so scarce in the UK and I just wanna try and iron out the gripes early on so that I can carry on enjoying the experience.

cheers everyone! :wave:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Thanks for posting such great pics!! Love the beast!!! :thumb: :thumb:
Glad you are here. Please post often!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dasha!

Will be hanging about here for a bit and will chip in whenever I can! Love the Maverick and am very glad I found Escape City!

I can never understand why it wasn't very popular in the UK...

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the City! :welcome:
Sharp looking Escape you have there! Looks VERY well kept!! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
The paint looks flawless on your Mav, excellent find.

Manual transmissions do not have transmission fluid, only autos. So I'm not sure what your "shunting" is from.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nice Maverick, and I can't figure out why they never sold well in the UK either. Seems the perfect size. Of course, Honda never brought the Element in either. Who knows why? I guess they figure British buyers want the swoopy Euro lines of a Kuga or similar (pick one...there are dozens that look the same)

And yes, you drive on the RIGHT side of the car. I love driving RHD and on the left side of the road...way, way more natural. When I lived in Britian I always had an adjustment period coming back to Canada, but I don't find the opposite. It just feels right....too bad only 1/3 of the world figured it out.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Hi there, and welcome from another British member... :welcome:

Maverick's didn't sell well over here because.....

A, there wasn't a diesel engine option..

B, Ford had just purchased Landrover at the time, so in the UK they pushed sales of the Freelander, indeed there was very little publicity about the Maverick, which allowed Ford to quietly discontinue sales.....(They did the same thing with the Explorer :doh: )

Ah well.

I see yours is a late model one, did it gain the leather interior and cruise control (like my 2.0 did??)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
trissybabes said:
.......a small hamlet called Porthgwarra near Lands End this afternoon - the nearest point of the UK I could find to the States!
This was the nearest I have got to America at the moment..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again!

camusdarrach - it does indeed come with the leather and cruise - they were the specific toys I wanted in a Maverick.

I had a couple of Ford Probes before - a 2.0 16v and then a fully loaded 2.5 24v - and that had the leather and cruise too. Similar background with the Probe and Maverick - both joint Ford/Mazda ventures.

Then I went and downsized to a Ford Puma - and missed the toys terribly!

When I started looking to change the Pu', I fished about for a 4x4 and the Maverick really was the only car with the spec I liked. Good size too - not too big - in fact, the first one I drove a few months ago, I commented to the sales guy that it was like a Freelander - but reliable...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts