Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend talk me in to getting my first escape. It's a 02 xlt and i love the hell out it. I just like to get more power from it I know some cougar and contour have the 3l, but is it the same motor and where can i get some performance parts at?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
It is the same V6 as the contour. The duratec is a former Porche engine that has been found in 2.5 ltr and 3.0 ltr in many Ford lines. Tehre are some differences year over year but many of the performance options (like headers) should fit.

The best and only performance mod I recommend (best bang for the buck) is the Superchips X-cal tuner. It will really wake up you ride and improve the soggy transmission shift schedule.

Welcome to the City

·
Registered
416 Posts
Or you could always go the easy route and get something like a K&N filter. I noticed it woke up a little from there.
Welcome to the forum (finally) Jason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about all of this?
9:1 CR Diamond Racing pistons
Pauter Machine 4340 forged rods
Clevite77 rod & main bearings
ST220 springs
SVT cams
Warmonger 70mm Throttle Body

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jpcape said:
what about all of this?
9:1 CR Diamond Racing pistons
Pauter Machine 4340 forged rods
Clevite77 rod & main bearings
ST220 springs
SVT cams
Warmonger 70mm Throttle Body
Welcome to the city! I'm not that technical to tell you if those will work or not but I can tell you that I am VERY interested in knowing if this will work. We don't have a member here yet that has done heavy mods other than surfscape but he took his supercharger off...which BTW is for sale if you are interested in more power. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'd be interested to know that as well.
Anyone have any ideas on that?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
The SVT heads and cams off the 2.5 ltr SVT countour do fit and I hear add some punch. Since the stock duratec is at 10/1 compression already using the forged at 9/1 would not add HP but would be a good change if you go supercharged and the stock ones can be brittle to detonation. Diamond will custom cut them anyway so you can tell them your spec and they will make it happen for about $750 for the set.

The rod bearings are this engines weakest link and pistons are second IF YOU HAVE A BAD TUNE.

Consider the Superchips tuner first. Any mod you make will only benefit more from have the proper tune

·
Registered
416 Posts
Any idea where to locate a good set of those cams?
Because I'm about to get a tune, and am looking for the next step. If those could be had reasonably, I'd be more than interested in having them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks a lot for the reference. I saw a thread about throttle bodies, do you know anything about running one on our V6?
They said that a 65mm or 70mm from a 4.6L would work for them, would the same be true for us?
http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=38136
There's a lot of garbage in there, but if you could give me your insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
First and foremost, I know my way around a small-block Chevrolet, so I'm pretty new to the 3.0 Duratec.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
As you likely know already but I'll say it anyway.Modern engine system especially in the states have to be as efficient as possible to meet EPA specs year after year. So thinks like exhaust, and intakes, throttlebodys will no make much of a difference in the "seat of you pants dyno" anymore.

Many aftermarket companies like to keep us thinking they do but...

The best things to do are:

1. Superchips tuner with a 93 octane tune - This will be your best experience and investment!

2. Reduce you tire / wheel diameter which effectively changes your gear ratio and improves your 0-60.

3. Add a K&N style filter - try your best to KEEP it a Cold Air Intake (like the stock system already is). It will not really give you HP gains but it will improve the throttle response which does feel good when you get on it and can improve the 0-60 too.

4. Take all the extra weight out of your truck

5. Remove roof racks

6. Lowering it REALLY improves handling with low profile tires (see #2 above)

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would think, though, that increasing throttle body flow, until the limits of the intake manifold, would increase the ability of the tune to do its job, and would therefore be a good assist with a tune. Maybe I'm wrong? I have been so before and likely will be in the future. My buddy did that (tune and larger tb) on his focus and it made a huge difference in the throttle response and overall attitude of the vehicle.
And as far as tire/wheel goes, I want to go larger for ground clearance, which is why I want to up the performance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I found a 65mm mustang tb for $30 from auto salvage. It appears in good shape, and if it arrives in good working order, then I will be following the contour guys write-up on the tb swap. I'll let you guys know how it goes, with a write-up for us, as well. I figure $30 is worth a shot, because the contour guys seem to have noticed improvement with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts