Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a while. I feel that all of you are a great asset and very knowledgable on our Escapes. I was wondering if perhaps you can enlighten me and please tell me if you know what is wrong with my set up. I bought a 35W HID kit from DDM for my 2004 Escape Limited, but I did "not" get the HI/LOW kit, it is only the low beam kit. My HID install went perfect and my lights come on when in LOW beam, when I turn the HIGH beam they turn off understandibly, but now my foglights dont work. I have power to the switch because it is illuminated but fogs dont work in either low beam or high beam position. What do I have to do to fool the system there is a HIGH beam connected so that my fog lights work in LOW beam setting...any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

PS. I do not mind re-wiring my fogs to turn on with my parking lamps if need be.

Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
hey David,

Welcome to the forum, many knowledgeable people here!! I've got a 2007 Limited, and when I installed my low beams I did not experience any type of interference with the fog lights. I can turn on parking lights only, and then turn on fog lights without issue. My low beams can turn on/off without issue in relation to fog lights. When I turn on my high beams, the fog lights turn off, but then when I revert to low beams they turn back on.

I do not have a high/low kit as well (bi-xenon), and recently I replaced stock high beam bulbs with Sylvania Ultra H7 bulbs without any troubles. When I turn on the high beams, the low beams stay on but the fog lights shut off. Not sure about how the Smart Junction box works on the 2004 though. Early on I experienced what has been called pulsed power, but from my understanding the 2004 and earlier does not have any issues with this type of 12v accessory power. Hope you find what you're looking for, this issue doesn't sound familiar with anything I've read around here...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. The problem with my set up is that I have the older single bulb for both HI/LO operation. My HID is not a bi-xenon bulb it is just a single operation (LOW BEAM) bulb, therefore there is nothing connected to the HIGH beam connector. After reading the electrical schematic and talking to my fellow techs at work, it seems that the foglights are wired in a "loom" type of connection in which it uses the high beam to provide power to them. I need to somehow fool the system that there is a HIGH beam connected so that it closes the loom. I will have to monkey with it this weekend or when I have time and report back. If anyone can still chime in and help that would be great as well. I may end up re-wiring the fogs to the parking lamps....???

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
The 2001-2004 models have an entirely different electrical system from 2005-2007 models and from 2008+ models. This is something I can't emphasize enough.

The problem with the fog lamps is directly related to the way the headlamps are wired on 2001-2004 models. The fog lamp relay is wired in series with the two high beam filaments, so that when the high beams are turned on, the fog lamp circuit is "shorted", and the fog lamps go out (which is required by law).

When you replace the low and high beams with HIDs on a 2001-2004 model, you may lose the fog lamps if your HIDs do not use the high beams, or if the high beams are replaced by a ballast. Neither of these provide a series connection for the fog lamp relay.

Here's the wiring diagram for 2001-2004 models with fog lamps:

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... wiring.jpg

What makes the wiring even more difficult is that the parking lamps are switched from ground, rather than from +12V like almost every other car on the planet. The only easy way to get the fog lamps working again is to:
1) Cut the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire on the back of the fog lamp switch a few inches away from the connector.
2) Securely cover the end of that RED with BLACK STRIPE wire NOT connected to the fog lamp switch (the one going into the harness).
3) Connect the switch end of the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire to the WHITE with LIGHT GREEN STRIPE wire on the factory headlamp connector on the driver (left) side.

This is the only way to easily have the fog lamps operate only when the parking lamps or headlamps are on. The only drawback is that the fog lamps will now also operate when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2002 escape, i had the same problem with my fog lamps, i just bought a 50 Watt 6 ohm resistor from ebay and plugged it on the high beam circuit of the unused harness (passenger side) that will solve the problem of the fog lights not turning up. If you need a diagram i can draw one for you. But it is the simplest way to solve your fog light problem and without having alter the fog light operation.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
That will work, but you need to make sure that the resistor doesn't touch anything. It won't get warm when the low beams are on, but it will get very hot when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edgar, how do you wire it. Obviously one side goes into the unused HIGH beam wire in the OEM headlamp connector, but where does the other side go to? Ground? Used LOW beam wire? or somewhere else?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Do NOT connect any end of a resistor to ground. As I said above, and as you can see in the wiring diagram, no part of the low or high beam bulb is connected to ground in a 2001-2004 Escape.

If you're going to go with resistors, connect each resistor between the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire and the WHITE with LIGHT GREEN STRIPE wire going into each factory headlamp connector. Make sure each resistor is isolated from any contact with water, plastic, tubing, and wiring. They will get very hot when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
jpark said:
What makes the wiring even more difficult is that the parking lamps are switched from ground, rather than from +12V like almost every other car on the planet. The only easy way to get the fog lamps working again is to:
1) Cut the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire on the back of the fog lamp switch a few inches away from the connector.
2) Securely cover the end of that RED with BLACK STRIPE wire NOT connected to the fog lamp switch (the one going into the harness).
3) Connect the switch end of the RED with BLACK STRIPE wire to the WHITE with LIGHT GREEN STRIPE wire on the factory headlamp connector on the driver (left) side.

This is the only way to easily have the fog lamps operate only when the parking lamps or headlamps are on. The only drawback is that the fog lamps will now also operate when the high beams are on.
This is exactly what I had to do to get my fog lights to work with my HID kit. I have HID's installed in both my headlamp and fogs, this quick mod works great.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:thumb:

And there are no resistors overheating anywhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I did end up doing the quick and easy behind the foglight switch connection and my foglights/HIDs work perfect. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just wanna add, that if you connect the resistor to the unused headlight plug using only one resistor conected to the high beam side and the other one to the ground on THE PLUG, the resistor wont get hot unless you turn the high beams on, THE RESISTOR WILL NOT GET HOT when the low beams are on, I can give you proof of that because thats how mine are connected, The slight " problem" it might cause is that the high beam indicator wont turn on when u switch to high beams. If anyone is in any doubt i can take a pic of my 02 escape and post it here, Been using my HID's for almost a year with that set up and never got a problem. I think it is a cheap and very easy way to get the hid's + fog lights working.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
There is no ground on the headlamp plug on a 2001-2004 Escape. I also said that the resistor will only get hot when the high beams are on. My guess is that you have it connected as I described it above, but if you can post a picture, I'm sure that it would help anyone else who wants to do this.

Again, the 2001-2004 Escape has no ground on the headlamps. The fog lamp relay is wired in series with the high beam filaments, and the common pin to each headlamp filament goes to +12V through the main headlamp relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im sorry im replying so late, but i will take a pic tomorrow and post it, i have run my HID this way without any kind of problem, and i am using the factory settings ( high beams on ,fog lights off)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im curious, because if u look closely in the wiring diagram, theres is a connection to ground, because incandecent light has to have a gorund somewhere.theres no way a normal halogen bulb will light on without any kind of ground connection, im not trying to teach no one here, but check closely the diagram and ull c the ground connection. Modern systems work with a constant 12v supply and the switches gives the bulb the negative or ground to the high or low beam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just purchased a Ford Escpae 2010 XLS that came with no fog lights. I bought the fog lights and the switch at the dealer, and I was able to install the original fog lights in the brackets that are on the bumper, but could not find any wires there. Are there wires already to connect them or do I have to wire the fog lights separately? does anybody have a diagram available? Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts