Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger HID fog light stoped working so i replaced it with a new balist and bulb. worked great, drove it out of garage, not turning on again.
Frusterated now i do research and learn that it could be moisture on the connections. Goto instal a new bulb and seal the connections and decide to throw the old bulb back in just to try it out, and what do you know it works again. so i wrapped the connections tightly and closed it it up.. However it continues to stop working some days. figured it was the cold but it worked fine yesterday on a very cold day so now im at a loss of idea's.

a little extra info and idea's if it helps:

- hid kit is plugged right into factory harness, maybe it would help if i wired the ground directly?

- Maybe it doesnt do well with the factory wiring an running my own relay and power wires would fix the problem? (when they start they flicker more than my headlights do as if they dont quite get enough power to start, and sometimes when the fog light doesnt start it flickers 3 times and then dies as if its trying to start?)

- Different kit on each side, maybe thats effecting it?

- Balist was subjected to moisture but it's suposed to be waterfroof. (was thinking of removing bumper and trying to find a dryer location, maybe that would help?)

- finally the 2 balists and bulbs ive tried on the problematic side are from the same kit, and one on other side (working fine) is a different brand. im thinking this brand might just be faulty and posibly might try a different kit?

ive been strugling with this fog light problem all winter so any input would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Clean all connections and spray some grease on the contacts. Put a dab of solder on all crimped connections.

When it stops working, wiggle the connectors and try to find which one is making bad contact.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm not a bad few idea's.

ive tried wiggling wires to see if it was a bad connection and nothin happened

tried un-doing all conections, checking them, re-connecting them and sealing them with tons of electrical tape to prevent moisture from getting in.

so far the past 2 days the fogs have been working fine but randomly sometimes it still happens to stop working.

by far this is the most confusing electrical problem ive ever been through, and even more annoying being that im an electrician and cant figure it out lol.

almost want to rip apart the truck and re-wire the fogs with my own power and ground wire's.

squishy you mean clean the contacts of the stock harness? they looked okay but it wouldnt hurt to try that out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.