Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought the HID's and they work great, but one problem. The covers that go on the back of the headlight assembly will not go back on. The HID capsule is straight, not 90'd like the stock H11's.

What next?

Thanks
Don

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
You got me on that one.

I remember those flat access plates on the back of my 2005 Limited's headlamp housings, and the one on the driver side didn't have much room behind it.

I'd try one of two things: since that plastic can be glued very securely with PVC cement, I'd try to put a hole in the plate with some sort of cup-shaped recess behind the socket. If there's not enough room for that, you could leave the plates off and zip-tie some kind of flexible vinyl sheet around and over the access plate opening.

BTW, which brand of HIDs did you buy, and which color temperature? My Edge has H11 bulbs in both the low beams and the fog lamps, and I'd sure love to get a kit that works with the pulsed low-beam outputs that Ford has used since 2005. If yours work perfectly, I'm interested.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
jpark said:
My Edge has H11 bulbs in both the low beams and the fog lamps, and I'd sure love to get a kit that works with the pulsed low-beam outputs that Ford has used since 2005. If yours work perfectly, I'm interested.
But you are getting rid of your edge and coming back to the Escape!

·
Registered
321 Posts
parkerd619 said:
Hello, I bought the HID's and they work great, but one problem. The covers that go on the back of the headlight assembly will not go back on. The HID capsule is straight, not 90'd like the stock H11's.

What next?

Thanks
Don
I had the exact same problem when I did my install. I ended up using a Dremmel to shave down the plastic on the back side of the cover to make room. You just have to be careful so you don't take too much off and end up with a hole in it. Just an option for you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey Shimy, did you get a Universal fit kit? I'm assuming you haven't had any problems with flicker and other things with your DRL's, etc...You having the same gen truck as mine, and saying you've not had any performance issues with the lights has rekindled my interest in doing the conversion too...

Any more information/advice would be great!

L8tz

·
Registered
321 Posts
Davis137 said:
Hey Shimy, did you get a Universal fit kit? I'm assuming you haven't had any problems with flicker and other things with your DRL's, etc...You having the same gen truck as mine, and saying you've not had any performance issues with the lights has rekindled my interest in doing the conversion too...

L8tz
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, but I actually have a 2002, I just upgraded to the newer lights. Mine didn't come with the DRL's (thank god), so I didn't have any problems hooking up the HIDs. I think I've seen people say that there's a way to have a dealership turn the DRL's off, but I'm not positive on that.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Mine didn't come with DRL's...you think I will have a problem with HID's?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Davis137 said:

L8tz
Actually, you do not have the same generation Escape. The 2001-2004 Escapes had an entirely different electrical system, using relays and a steady +12V supply for the headlights, which were single-bulb, dual-filament headlights.

2005-2007 models used separate bulbs for low and high beams, and the low beams were driven by solid-state devices called "high-side FETs". The low beam supply was also a pulsed square-wave +12V.

Any HID kit will work with 2001-2004 models, but very few kits work perfectly with 2005 and newer models (including the 2008 and newer models) without flickering or (worse) even igniting at all. You can't buy the cheapest kit and expect it to work perfectly with pulsed power unless the kit was designed that way.

Ask the seller about pulsed power low-beam supply. If they have no idea what you're talking about, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Any HID kit will work with 2001-2004 models, but very few kits work perfectly with 2005 and newer models (including the 2008 and newer models) without flickering or (worse) even igniting at all. You can't buy the cheapest kit and expect it to work perfectly with pulsed power unless the kit was designed that way.
can definatly verify that. i had this problem and had to fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
So we need a list of working HID Kits...Can people list the ones that did and did not work for them?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
So we need a list of working HID Kits...Can people list the ones that did and did not work for them?
This should be its own thread. I've been shopping for kits as well and the hard part about shopping for an HID kit, from what I can tell, is that there isn't an established brand that stands out from the pack - it just looks like there are dozens (hundreds?) of different manufacturers at a few different price points, and there's no way of knowing which is a quality ballast and which is junk.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
I bought mine from ebay user "intensehid" for about $50 and they look and perform better than I ever could've imagined. Unfortunately I guess they aren't selling anymore, they don't have anything listed right now..

·
Registered
333 Posts
jpark said:
Davis137 said:

L8tz
Actually, you do not have the same generation Escape. The 2001-2004 Escapes had an entirely different electrical system, using relays and a steady +12V supply for the headlights, which were single-bulb, dual-filament headlights.

2005-2007 models used separate bulbs for low and high beams, and the low beams were driven by solid-state devices called "high-side FETs". The low beam supply was also a pulsed square-wave +12V.

Ask the seller about pulsed power low-beam supply. If they have no idea what you're talking about, look elsewhere.
Yeah, I realized that I was addressing the wrong person...after submitting my response...lol!

Anyways, the response was originally intended for the first person that posted this thread...he's got a truck the same generation as mine.

Also, the OPP are dicks. That's it, that's all. They, and a bunch of bureachrats are slowly turning Ontario into a wannabe "Nazi-State" when it comes to new rules and regs. Eventually it will be illegal to even modify your vehicle, I'm sure it will come to that, give them enough time. They don't want people to modify vehicles, to "Hot-Dog" them AT ALL (this even include accelerating to the posted speed limit quickly, as this will be percieved as "Stunt Driving"). There won't be much fun anymore. End Rant.

:horse: LOL!

Still, if I could HID even my Fogs, and LED my tailights somehow, I'd be happy with even that.

L8tz

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Davis137 said:
jpark said:
Davis137 said:
They don't want people to modify vehicles, to "Hot-Dog" them AT ALL (this even include accelerating to the posted speed limit quickly, as this will be percieved as "Stunt Driving"). There won't be much fun anymore. End Rant.
That doesn't meet the definition of stunting. It would likely be a "dangerous driving" charge instead, which has been around for a long time.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Because of the dicks who choose to have their fun while others are on the road and end up killing people. If people were smart enough to do that stuff in the right places, the rules wouldn't need to be tighter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.