Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I'm really checking to put hid kits on my 2011, 1 h13 bi xenon and 1 5202 for the fogs, so my question is:

note: As i'm in Canada, my car has daytime running lights on it.

1. If i buy a kit that does have ballast, Bixenon lights and optional relay harness, will it
work without adding anything (plug and play)?

I dont mind with the glare or amount of light it will trow to others.... There'S a lot of cars here with these kits and i'm able to deal with so others will do the same :peace:

would like to hear from you folks in canada who have installed these kits to know what you've gone through...

thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
You and me both! I'm in the same boat and looking for the same thing for my 08 escape. I was hoping to tell Santa which ones I want in hopes to get them for Christmas lol

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bumpity bump!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealers in Canada say they will void your car's Warranty. And if you use (HID's) in the Fog Lights they will (MELT/BURN)the plastic lens. I say Don't do it. Better Safe than Sorry

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx tuffcat!

That's the kind of info i want to know about.... before spending money on that...

REALLY weird that we didn't hear anything from owners that installed them for a certain period of time! Just to know if they have these kind of heat issues on the headlamp as well as with the fog lights...

thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i was on the PIAA web site today and i think i am going to get a set of their bulbs , i had PIAA bulbs before ein my car and loved them . Going to try and find some Fog light bulbs .

For the question about the day time running light , i converted my car lights to the HID and they just don't come on when they are supposed to .

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
drewverde said:
I do believe that the lens can melt IF the Bulb is not mounted correctly. Having HIDs are a good investment ;)
I beg to differ. I think that HIDs are not a good investment for those who don't have the proper projectors. I know that I may sound like a jerk, but I'm tired of being blinded by people who think that HIDs are "so cool", without any regards to other drivers. Furthermore, to say that you don't care about blinding people because everyone else does it really gets under my skin - it's just a way to justify your purchase, because there is no way that more than 0.5% of drivers on the road are running similar improper HID setups.

Get some PIAA bulbs and call it good. Call me old-fashioned, but I've always lived by the "right tool for the right job" mantra - if your car doesn't have projectors, then you shouldn't be messing with HIDs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like i said in the first post, i dont find hid that i saw on the road in front of me so disturbing or too bright. i'm able to deal with that and they dont blind me that much. That'sw what i meant when i said that if i could deal with the glare others throw at me, i think that others could also deal with mine if i put some HID on my car. but i dont think i'll go that route as i will loose daytime running lights and they are mandatory here in Canada.

I do respect your opinion on that question!

hope you respect mine as well...

·
Registered
94 Posts
slavrenz said:
drewverde said:
I do believe that the lens can melt IF the Bulb is not mounted correctly. Having HIDs are a good investment ;)
I beg to differ. I think that HIDs are not a good investment for those who don't have the proper projectors. I know that I may sound like a jerk, but I'm tired of being blinded by people who think that HIDs are "so cool", without any regards to other drivers. Furthermore, to say that you don't care about blinding people because everyone else does it really gets under my skin - it's just a way to justify your purchase, because there is no way that more than 0.5% of drivers on the road are running similar improper HID setups.

Get some PIAA bulbs and call it good. Call me old-fashioned, but I've always lived by the "right tool for the right job" mantra - if your car doesn't have projectors, then you shouldn't be messing with HIDs.
Well I'm not buying HID's to "look cool". I got them for the fact that it lasts longer than stockers, higher light output with the same consumption and having better visibility on the road. How quick are you to judge and generalize that HID users mount them incorrectly. Even the stock lights can blind you if its not aligned correctly. :confused: :doh: Well in my case i got mine properly aligned so that it wont blind oncoming drivers. :yes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Who ever told you that the HID's would melt your housing is either lying through their teeth or have a slight clue on HID technology.

HID bulbs operate a lower watt (35w-55w) So they run a lot cooler temp then normal halogen bulbs.

Now the people that told you this could be thinking of those crappy ebay "HID look" bulbs that are just bulbs that run super high wattage. Yes those could possibly burn your housing. But HIDS WILL NOT BURN OR MELT YOUR HOUSING!!!

Now my opinion on HIDs: They are a great investment! They will outlast the life of your car so say goodbye to replacing halogen bulbs every winter cause they burn out. You'll never have to replace HID bulbs! And in some rare case you do? Most HID company's back their products with a life-time warranty.

As for blinding other drivers, I've had 3 different kits in 3 different cars color temp ranging from 8k,10k, and 12k I have yet to have someone flash their brights at me because my headlights were blinding them. I even let my girlfriend drive my escape while driving her car to do a test to see how "blinding HID's are" I was not bothered at all. I know when I had my halogen bulbs in I notice a cut off in the beam of the headlights while driving. So maybe for already makes the housings to point down.

The visibility compared to halogen is night and day. Anyone here questioning whether to go the HID route or not. Once you put the kit in, the first night using the HID's will shock you! every sign, road marker, license plate and anything else for a block long will light up.

Once you go HIDs you never go back :rockon:

·
Registered
94 Posts
TranceZ said:
Who ever told you that the HID's would melt your housing is either lying through their teeth or have a slight clue on HID technology.

HID bulbs operate a lower watt (35w-55w) So they run a lot cooler temp then normal halogen bulbs.

Now the people that told you this could be thinking of those crappy ebay "HID look" bulbs that are just bulbs that run super high wattage. Yes those could possibly burn your housing. But HIDS WILL NOT BURN OR MELT YOUR HOUSING!!!

Now my opinion on HIDs: They are a great investment! They will outlast the life of your car so say goodbye to replacing halogen bulbs every winter cause they burn out. You'll never have to replace HID bulbs! And in some rare case you do? Most HID company's back their products with a life-time warranty.

As for blinding other drivers, I've had 3 different kits in 3 different cars color temp ranging from 8k,10k, and 12k I have yet to have someone flash their brights at me because my headlights were blinding them. I even let my girlfriend drive my escape while driving her car to do a test to see how "blinding HID's are" I was not bothered at all. I know when I had my halogen bulbs in I notice a cut off in the beam of the headlights while driving. So maybe for already makes the housings to point down.

The visibility compared to halogen is night and day. Anyone here questioning whether to go the HID route or not. Once you put the kit in, the first night using the HID's will shock you! every sign, road marker, license plate and anything else for a block long will light up.

Once you go HIDs you never go back :rockon:
:thumb: Night and day Difference indeed.

But i had an experience with our Toyota Fortuner before and the foglamp melted the chrome part of it because the shop installer didn't lock the bulb in place properly. :wall: No biggie though... later on they replaced the foglight assembly and a new pair of HIDs because of that incident. :bump:

So if you do get em... I suggest that you check and make sure that they are mounted properly and that they are aligned :yes:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It is not only a matter of proper focusing.
HID lighting is prone to dispersion much more than regular lights and that is where the blinfing effect lies.
Not only the head lights lens have to be flat but clean of any dirt too, that is the reason why in Europe a lens cleaning water injector is compulsory to all cars having HID lights.The slightest grim or dirt and the light disperses incredibly, thus the blinding effect.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my kit last summer from carid.com. They are dual xenon. It was very easy to install. I've been unsing them for about 8 months now and no problems.

here's the link. You can choose which color/temp you want to get. I got the 10K.

http://www.carid.com/ford-escape-xenon-hid/

I don't have the for light kit yet as I don't need them as much.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did this in my 2008 escape, both headlights and fogs. Fogs burned through and melted the plastic. The headlights had no problem but the light output is not worth it. Switched to PIAA and factory fogs 5202. The 5202 bulb is not halogen bulb it's a incondecent. The housing is not meant to have the much heat. plus the install is a bitch. You need to splice into the wires. It's not plug and play.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had a set of HID installed in my subaru baja 05, I had the 6000k bulb. But I lost the high beam and also the day time running lights, I used two stips of LED as day time lights. About three months ago I learned abaout the bi-xenon ligths (low and high beam) with the harness kit. Now I have low, high and day time runing lights. I have HID's for three years and they haven't melt anything.

Also I have HID's for my fog lights. I got my mom a 08 Escape XLT 4WD to replaced her minivan (way to low clearence). I will be replacing the stock lights to HID and LED's.(interior and exterior) :thumb: Just ordered the HID set for the fog lights.

·
Registered
117 Posts
www.ddmtuning.com all of their hid kits are plug and play I have two sets of 55w one in my ranger headlights and foglights not a single issue and my foglight housing oem replacements since I did a bumper swap were purchased off eBay and they have never melted

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you considered getting a set of aftermarket projectors so you can have some control over the light output instead of just blinding traffic because everyone else does it? Sorry if I come off like a jerk, but it'll solve just about everything. You'll switch to a 2 bulb setup, which means you can run your HIDs in your low beams, keep your halogen highs, which would keep your DRL setup. And you have some control over your light output (even more so if you do a projector retrofit from a BMW or an Infiniti and use true HID projectors), so you're not blinding everybody. You keep all the benefits of HIDs without being "one of those guys."

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
gabrielsynn said:
Have you considered getting a set of aftermarket projectors so you can have some control over the light output instead of just blinding traffic because everyone else does it? Sorry if I come off like a jerk, but it'll solve just about everything. You'll switch to a 2 bulb setup, which means you can run your HIDs in your low beams, keep your halogen highs, which would keep your DRL setup. And you have some control over your light output (even more so if you do a projector retrofit from a BMW or an Infiniti and use true HID projectors), so you're not blinding everybody. You keep all the benefits of HIDs without being "one of those guys."
:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts