Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

What temp is my Tribute supposed to be running at? I use the digital readout (where you hold down the miles reset stalk) and my tribute seems to be running at around 100 degrees C (212 degrees F) This seems a little too hot to me. The analog guage on the dash however always sits on half way. :shrug:

Would anyone please be able to tell me what their Escape runs at.

Thanks alot :)

- Brent

·
Registered
390 Posts
Since the Tribbys don't have temperature numbers on their gauges, I have no idea what a good running temperature for them is, but on my old Blazer, the temperature had degrees F with the gauge from 100-260 with 210 right in the middle. My Blazer used to run a little past the middle line, so I'd estimate it at right about 212.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Spark. That makes me feel a little better.
In case you were wondering there is a way to access your coolant temps, revvs in digital, miles per hour in digital etc etc. Here is the instructions taken from another site...

It is basically a way to put the LCD which contains the odometer/tripmeter into a "test" mode and get cool information out of it, such as battery voltage, digital speed readout, etc..

Here's How:

1) Insert Key (do not turn it)
2) Press and hold the Trip-Meter Reset Button
3) While holding the reset button, start your car and continue holding the button.
4) Within 10 seconds, the display should change to "test" (written in a silly LCD font) and the needles will go nuts. No biggie. Release the Button.
5) Pressing the button will now cycle through some 15 different modes.

The modes you can go through in the Escape are:

1. Gauge Sweep
2. Fill in All LCD
3. Indicator Bulbs
4. ROM level
5. NVM level
6. DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
7. Road Speed MPH
8. Road Speed KPH
9. Engine Speed RPM
10. Fuel Volume
11. Engine Coolant Temp
12. Battery Voltage
13. ABS fail
14. Electronic Brake Distribution Failure
15. Illumination
16. Crank Sense

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
My water temp does not get above 195 degrees Farenheit...very rarely does it go over 193...

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello Brent. Thanks for submitting that ' test mode' procedure. :) My temperature gauge needle, is positioned just a tad below the half mark. The needle indicator will rise, if my engine is under load. At the most it will increase, to just a whisker above the half mark but nothing drastic. For example a very long steep gradient.

When i return to a level stretch of road, the resistance has passed . Then accordingly the needle settles back to the normal position.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Running temp of any gasoline engine should be 212*F. That's not boiling, but not so cool that the engine is not at it's most effecient. Or so I have been told. :shrug: The analog guage thing is worth an American dollar...not much. It will let you know if things are getting out of hand under the hood (bonnet). :thumb:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for that, Tribby! I'll do that, I had no idea because my Tribby didn't come with a manual :lol:

Anyways, I can imagine that although water boils at 212F/100C, gasoline/oil/all that stuff boils at a higher temperature, which is why "boiling" temperatures can go on under the engine. I wouldn't worry about it, but once I check what mine runs at, I'll let you know if we're around the same.

Oh, and also, I'd say where my needle is, but it's always at exactly halfway when it runs and I can't really notice a difference (although I don't pay much attention to it), but I also don't have a halfway mark/point to go by.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
212*F isn't the boiling point of ethyelene glycol. I beleive that the boiling point is about 230*F. So, at 212*F it's still in a very safe state...lots of room for operating temps to rise and fall. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
That's 230F at sea level, right? The cooling system is pressurized so that further increases the boiling point.

If the temperature stays constant without overheating, and the car warms up properly, then I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate it. I will be changing the thermostat and coolant tomorrow, i'll report back ;)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
At work, our Mercedes Vario coaches run at 100 C, so I would say its normal, don't worry.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have just changed the coolant and the thermostat. Mazda charged me $27 for a o-ring!

Trib used to run between 98C and 104C. It now runs at a constant 91C :D

It is shifting smoother into 3rd as well. It used to clunk but now doesnt do it... Is the radiator and tranny cooler linked in any way?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi I am new to this site and Escape ownership. :)
My Escape is a 2004 model. It has 54000km on it.
It is probably due for new coolant. My husband likes to do all the maintenance on our cars but he is not sure where the drain plug is on the car. Can someone please help me? :confused:
We were thinking of getting a service manual but I am unable to find an Australian one. I have found American ones on Ebay but I am unsure if this is suitable.Does anyone have a service manual for their Escape/Tribute 2004 model.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wenyeepick said:
Hi I am new to this site and Escape ownership. :)
My Escape is a 2004 model. It has 54000km on it.
It is probably due for new coolant. My husband likes to do all the maintenance on our cars but he is not sure where the drain plug is on the car. Can someone please help me? :confused:
We were thinking of getting a service manual but I am unable to find an Australian one. I have found American ones on Ebay but I am unsure if this is suitable.Does anyone have a service manual for their Escape/Tribute 2004 model.
I'm pretty sure Repco can get one in for you. I am working there tomorrow morning so i'll get a price and get back to you tomorrow afternoon :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts