Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else encountered this problem? About half a dozen times when I have been driving on the highway on extremely windy Oklahoma days. ( just yesterday going 45 on a city street) my hood comes unlatched. it stays closed but its like i pulled the hood release lever and and become unlocked and comes up about an inch. scariest thing ever when driving fast on the highway... does ford know about this problem?

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I've never heard of that happening. It has never happened with my 03, however I'd take it to the shop to have it checked out. I'd hate for that to happen doing 90 on the interstate!!

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,623 Posts
I never encountered this happening during my cross-country trips in my 2003 Escape.

I agree with JJ that it needs to be checked out at a shop. There is possibly some amount of misalignment that could be causing your issue. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
That has never happened to me, and you should get that fixed as soon as possible. If the secondary latch ever fails, you're looking at extensive bodywork after the hinges snap and the hood takes out your windshield and roof - assuming you can get the car stopped without seeing in front of you.

You could have a sticking latch; try some penetrating lubricant like Fluid Film, or PB Blaster followed by some light oil. Every time you shut the hood, you should pull back up to make sure it is shut properly. I have had a few instances where just dropping the hood down from 6 inches up didn't shut it all the way.

I'm going to move this over to Problems and Solutions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well mine is a 2001, and like i said it has only happened on days with sustained winds of >40 mps and gusts of over 60 mph. and it stays latched, just come unlocked. its happened to me twice in the last 2 months. but happened to my dad(previous owner) once or twice on the highway.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
MATrigger said:
well mine is a 2001, and like i said it has only happened on days with sustained winds of >40 mps and gusts of over 60 mph. and it stays latched, just come unlocked. its happened to me twice in the last 2 months. but happened to my dad(previous owner) once or twice on the highway.
You overestimate the strength of the secondary latch. It's just a spring-loaded hook and can let go if enough force is applied. The latch that holds the hood properly shut works like the one on your doors.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
The thing you lift with your fingers to fully release the hood is the secondary latch; right beneath that you should see a mechanism that looks like what's in your door. Try to clean and lubricate that and see if it helps. Make sure to pull up on the hood after you shut it to make sure it is properly latched.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I've never heard of anything like this and I've been on this and another Escape Board for over 6 years. Definitely try to figure out what is causing this to happen...

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
If you can not get it to work better than it is already, I think about looping a cable ( a bicycle security cable?) down from the hood and strapping/locking the two ends together underneath the radiator wall or something. If only to keep it from flying up and over like posted above.

I used to use a small heavy duty chain and padlock to keep vandals out from under my hood on a POS that I owned back in the day.

·
Registered
103 Posts
MATrigger said:
ewwwww chrome makes me want to throw up
well, you're not supposed to eat it

·
Registered
35 Posts
We bought a new 2006 Ford 500 and the first trip down the highway when we took it home(I might have been going a little bit fast :whistle: ) I passed a big truck and trailer and the hood popped open to the safety latch. Talk about a huge pucker factor! We took it right back to the dealer and they adjusted it and it was fine until a few weeks ago when I traded it. :thumb: Get that latch adjusted like everyone else said, DON'T rely on the safety latch.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
sounds like your safety latch works LoL, you could try just cleaning the gunk out, and lubing the latch mech. they get all gummed up over the years and get sticky. also an adjustment wouldnt be a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
mville656 said:
We bought a new 2006 Ford 500 and the first trip down the highway when we took it home(I might have been going a little bit fast :whistle: ) I passed a big truck and trailer and the hood popped open to the safety latch. Talk about a huge pucker factor! We took it right back to the dealer and they adjusted it and it was fine until a few weeks ago when I traded it. :thumb: Get that latch adjusted like everyone else said, DON'T rely on the safety latch.
Respect his authoritah! :cigar:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was in a friends Mazda 626 one time and the hood latch gave out around 50 mph and tore the hood clean off before I even realized what happened.
wasn't much damage to the car, just needed new hinges welded on and a new latch, even used the same hood again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts