Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys....

I want to put a trailer hitch on my V6 Tribby. I have the choice of getting a good deal on the factory hitch kit that includes the OEM oil to coolant oil cooler, or saving about $50 bucks and just getting a Hidden Hitch or Draw-tite and no cooler.

How important is the factory oil cooler for towing? Total trailer weight will be no more than 2000 lbs. and I run a quality synthetic engine oil. Figure on "normal" summer temps 80-90F. I wonder how hard it is to install the oil cooler kit. It has all the hoses and pipes and clamps included.

The factory hitch is a class II, so the attachments will be 1.25" vs a class III 2" receiver. I would assume that more accessories like bike racks etc would fit the larger 2" receiver.

Drew

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
For 2000# you probably don't need the cooler unless you do alot of hill climbing. I would also get the class 3 hitch not only cuase of the safety margin for greater weight but especially if your looking to have flexability to get a hitch mounted bike rack etc. They only come in class 3 usually.

It would likely take about an hour or two to install the cooler. Might as well do an oil change at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I found a bike rack online for the 1.25" receiver (I have the fact. tow package) but had a hard time finding a ball mount that dropped down low (all the low ones are for 2"). I'd recommend the Class III as well just for ease of accessories, but the II can be done. Just, if the difference in kits is $50, why not get the oil cooler as well? It can't hurt having the extra security right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ajax said:
... Just, if the difference in kits is $50, why not get the oil cooler as well? It can't hurt having the extra security right?
The Ford kit with the OEM cooler only comes in a class II, just like what the factory installs if the trailer-tow package is optioned on the sticker. (This kit lists for over $500 from the dealer.) The aftermarket class III are not available with a cooler unless you go with a aftermarket air-to-oil type. This route is more involved, as you have to engineer the cooler plumbing and radiator mounting, and install a inline t-stat so the oil doen't get over-cooled in the winter.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
go to a transmission shop, and ask them to install a cooler, they are a joke to put in. ive done lots. or buy one and put it in yourself. they mount in front of your rad and you hook them up inline with your current cooler. and then add the extra required amount of fluid (usually only 1/2-1L). then install your class III a set of ramps helps but if your skinny enough you can slid under there and push it up, and put in a few bolts, then its easy after that.

just call around to local shops and price out a cooler till you find the cheapest one, most of them are made by the same manufacturer and transmission shops are limited on the number of places they order from because you always get better per unit pricing when you have a relationship with a company.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I have a Draw-tite hitch and no cooler I pull a single axel trailer with my ATV on it as well as 4 Gas Cans. 2" ball rated at 6,000 lbs. the v6 doesn't know it's back there. The ATV is a TWO UP with a weight of 700 and then the cans of gas and the trailer plus ramps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts