Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Ford Escape XLT 3.0. The other morning when I started it in very cold conditions I heard a strange noise under the hood. When I opened up the hood there was oil squirting for the fitting on this hose. I’ve tried to find a diagram of the engine compartment to see what the line is for. I was thinking maybe a transmission cooling line? Any ideas?
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
What color or consistency is the oil? I think that is more likely an AC line. Did you have defrost on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What color or consistency is the oil? I think that is more likely an AC line. Did you have defrost on?
It was red. Consistency of regular oil. Yes the defrost was on when I started it as the windshield was frosted over.
actually it was clear not red as previously stated.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was thinking maybe a transmission cooling line?
The transmission cooler lines are on the driver's side.

Follow the line in both directions, see there they go. It's not an A/C line. It's a line to/from one of the coolers, probably the power steering. Fluid would be Mercon (whatever).

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Power steering line is the most likely, given the rack & pinion are behind the engine. You may be able to get a drawing of the hydraulic system, including lines, fittings, etc at the dealership parts counter, or on-line.
If you check the fluid level in the pump reservoir, if the line is for power steering, the level will likely be a bit low.
tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's a steering line, I want to say the return, and it returns pressurized fluid in the system. The fitting that the pipe enters has orings, looks like they gave up. JB weld isn't going to do it.
Needs a proper repair.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
If it is the 'return' line, the pressure is quite low, on the order of a few psi. If the steel portion is perforated by rust, you could perform surgery, shorten the line by cutting out the leaking portion, shine up the two newly cut ends, and use a union to join them together. You could also use 'fuel line' that has enough PSI capacity, not non-reinforced line such as vacuum tubing. Cut and join with the fuel line, and use some screw clamps to hold the fuel line. One other possible is to get a length of fuel line, slit it, and place over the leaking spot. Use some clamps(how many? your choice) to hole the fuel line over the leaky portion.
If it is the rubber portion, you may be able to excise the ruptured length, and use a length of metal tubing stuffed inside as a union. Again, clamp in place.

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

IF IT IS THE HIGH SIDE, DO NOT MESS.
Hydraulic(or any) fluid under high pressure can be forced through unprotected skin and inject LUBE into the tissue. NOT a good thing to do.
tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts