Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you mount your GPS?
Here are a few problems I've come across...
1) I don't want to remove the GPS from my '09. If you leave it in, without shutting it off, it will stay on (using the ciggie lighter power supply). I tried the USB port to power it, but the nuvi (255W) just goes into computer link mode, also, I'm not sure if the USB stays powered up when key is removed. I don't have an AUX to USB/GSP cable to test...
2) I don't like wires hanging about - can they be fished thru vent? I have ordered a of vent clip and hard case, from ebay, since I like the idea of the vent mount better.
I'd love to hear how others have managed it..since GPS's seem to be necessary equipment nowadays.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
My GPS moves around with three cars/trucks. I simply suction cup it to the windshield and use the cigarette/power port. Not so pretty, but I never leave the thing in the car while it is outside anywhere. Still too much breakage involved by stupid people wanting something to hock for $10 cash. Maybe next year I will buy two more and keep/mount them permanently in the cars.

I'm not crazy about the vent mount, but some folks like them that way. I suppose it depends upon the vent. Most vents seem barely able to support themselves, much less a GPS. Good luck on your wiring quest. :thumb:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
I use a bean bag mount for my Garmin which sits on the dash. In California (for example), you can not use the suction cup mount.

·
Registered
122 Posts
cbramsey said:
In California (for example), you can not use the suction cup mount.
Why is that?

Funny avatar btw, lol.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
I have an older Garmin nüvi 350 and I use the windshield mount that came with it. I like the unit at the lower center portion of the windshield next to my radar detector. It's not too low for me to see but it's not distracting either. It is usually plugged into the upper outlet on the dash (the one for the cigarette lighter on the '02 Escape). This outlet turns off when I turn the car off. The lower outlet is on all the time and I plug my bluetooth headset into that one. I only use the nüvi for the occasional long trip and site visit for work so I don't keep it in the car anymore. I'm also a little worried about it getting stolen. GPS's seem to be a hot item for thieves the last few years.

I used to keep it mounted in the car 24/7 but I stopped after the sound stopped working on the first unit I had. It broke in the winter and I think it had to do with the unit sitting in the freezing cold all night and then being warmed up quickly by the defroster. Luckily, Garmin replaced that unit under warranty.

I also used to keep the mount on the windshield but I've stopped that recently too. Apparently seeing the mount in the car is enough reason for the thieves in my area to break into a car and look in a glove box. Recently, we had a car broken into at my church (which is in a very nice neighborhood). They only took the GPS.

I just ordered a nüvi 755t ($199us at Costco after $100 off). I was thinking about routing the wire through the back of the dash. In my '02, there is a little cover up there that I think I could run a wire through. My only issue with that would be using the unit in another car. The receiver for the free traffic reports is built into the power adapter so if I wanted traffic in another vehicle, I'd have to either buy another cable ($120 list :shock:) or pull the cable out from behind the dash (that doesn't sound like fun).

Good luck with your new toy. Let us know how you finally mount it and how you like it :)

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
cbramsey said:
I use a bean bag mount for my Garmin which sits on the dash. In California (for example), you can not use the suction cup mount.
I had read they recently changed that law in CA and that the only place that it is illegal to have the suction cup mount is Minnesota. It was on the following page of the the nüvi 755t review:

(http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2009/01/garm ... php?page=3)

I also read this on About.com:

Windshield Mounting of GPS Legalized in California (But There's a Catch)
Tuesday September 30, 2008

Over the weekend, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 1567, the GPS Windshield Safety Act, which permits the mounting of portable GPS units in specific areas of vehicle windshields. Windshield mounting was previously illegal in California, and those who ignored the law were sometimes ticketed and fined $108 for "obstructed windshield" violations. California drivers take note: the new law does not take effect until January 1, 2009.

The new law, however, has an odd clause that specifies the GPS must be mounted within "a 7-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver (the passenger side) or in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver (the lower left corner of the windshield)." That means the most common and useful front-and-center GPS windshield mount is still banned.

Also, many standard GPS power cords are not long enough to reach from a power port, all the way to the lower corners of a windshield (not to mention the increased wire clutter created by these corner mounting locations). Also, the passenger side mount is useless to the driver, and the lower left corner mount forces the driver to take eyes off the highway in an awkward way. I guess drivers can only hope that the police will ignore proper center mounts, or issue warnings, rather than tickets.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
So is this a contest? :D

You could rewire the cigarette lighter outlet with a relay switched by something with power only in Run and Accessory - maybe the radio power wire.

It is also technically illegal in Ontario to use the suction cups, and even the bean bag on the dash. No part of the windshield or front side windows may be obstructed by non-factory objects. "Window/windshielf obstructed" for the suction cups and "Have object obstructing view" for the bean bag mount, both $85 set fine, $110 payable. However, this is rarely enforced, but I could see it tacked on if you were seen operating the GPS while driving (new electronic devices law) and were "uncooperative" with the officer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have mine suction cupped to the lower left corner of my windshield. It's easy to look at there when glancing at my speedometer, and does not block any vision at all as all there is to see there is the hood. The wire does come down, around the steering and into the lighter plug.

Pat

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I mounted mine with suction cups on the upper left corner of the windsheild, also I mounted my radar detector under my rear view mirror. It all looks sleek no wires showing at all, I ran it all cables around the windshield and back in the dash and tapped in to 12v constant (cause each item has a on/off switch) :pics: I will have pics up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Here it is RADAR in the middle and GPS in the upper left

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,593 Posts
SprinterX said:
cbramsey said:
In California (for example), you can not use the suction cup mount.
Why is that?

Funny avatar btw, lol.
The People's Republic of California will charge you with having an "obstructed windshield" which is a $100 +/- ticket. Thank you for the comment on my avatar. A lot of time went into it. :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I finally got my vent clip off ebay, with a nice hard case, and thought I'd post a few pictures. I had to change it a little to fit the dash..but I'm happy with it. Until summer weather the wires are going to have to hang exposed..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I notice you tire pressure idiot light is on :)
I was searching earlier but couldnt' find a thread on it..I need snow tires and was going to pay the extra for the sensors UNTIL I spoke to somebody who told me they only last a few years ...that each sensor has a battery, and when it goes, you need a new sensor..they can't be changed.
Are most people just putting up with the idiot light and using the old fashioned tire pressure gauge?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yup :)

I just ignore the idiot light with my winter rims (who do not have sensors).

I just check my tire pressure the old fashion way when fuel up my truck.

Pat

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have both a Garmin Nuvi 350 [in the Liberty] and a TomTom One [in the Escape]

Both are mounted via suction cup to the windshield in the same spot as Velveeta's. On the KJ I run the wire behind the endcap, under the closeout panel and to the accessory plug jack. In the Escape I "plan" to run the wire in a similar fashion.

I also have a beanbag for my Nuvi 350 which comes in handy for rental cars when on travel. I haven't picked up or even searched for the beanbag for the TomTom yet.

Words of caution:

1) Because of the economy - theives are targeting vehicles with suction cup mounts. They smash and grab what ever they can out of the car. It is advisable to use a beanbag mount to completely remove evidence that there's a $200.00 GPS unit stored in the glovebox.

2) The power cable... On the KJ the cable receptical actually wore out and broke when I pulled it out of the accessory plug jack about 1 month ago. The metal bits then cuased a direct short in the outlet and blew a fuse. I have replaced the power cable but do inspect these things. That cable only lasted 3 years.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Yesterday I bought an Insignia 3.5" model for my son. $69 at Best Buy. It even says the street names. I figure, the way he treat things it'll be lucky to live six months... :wave: :( :bang:
I'm not really concerned about the life of that power cord. :topic:

The real reason for not advertising your GPS is that thieves break and enter to take the GPS and then fire it up to punch the "Home" button. Then, they go clean out your house while your shopping, or later when you are at work! :bill:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i have the garmin C550, and i use the suction cup on the center of the windshield near the bottom. because my wife steals it to use in her car once in a while i havnt run hidden wires yet, i might buy a second power cord for it and run one hiddden on my new car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts