Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently failed a car inspection because one light was brighter than the other.

Is there a way to dim it down?

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I'd take the bulbs out and see if they're the same part number, and the same manufacturer. Some bulbs are available in higher output versions, and aftermarket coated bulbs can have higher wattages than OEM bulbs.

Could one headlamp be aimed higher than the other? Did they mention the word "aim" at all?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Is one light newer than the other? Halogen lights will dim as they age, and should be replaced in pairs.

If that is not the case, then you could have a loose ground somewhere. Do you notice any change in brightness of the dim bulb when DRLs are turned on/off? Check for signs of corrosion when you take off the wiring connector.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well last spring I replaced the whole housing of my headlight on the driver's side after I had an accident on that side.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Is that the side that is brighter? Swap the bulbs from one side to the other. That will let you know if it is a bulb problem or a wiring problem.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
What's the model year?

If it's a 2001-2004, a bad common connection would make one side light up at half-brightness.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Make sure all three wires are connected, and that the contacts on the bulb socket are clean.

The WHITE with LIGHT GREEN STRIPE wire is the common wire on the bulb socket that leads to a separate fuse in the Battery Junction Box under the hood. If that wire isn't connected on one side (or if the bulb isn't making good contact to it), the low-beam filament will form a series connection with the high-beam filament on the other side, and it will appear dimmer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's not the problem.

The driver's side(the one with the new housing which I replaced) is the one that's brighter.

It's brighter than normal

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If it's not an aim issue, then try what Squish said: swap the bulbs.

If the same side is still brighter, I'd try to swap or change the 15A fuses at locations F1.2 and F1.3 in the Battery Junction Box.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It's the black box with fuses and relays next to the air filter box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts