Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 manual Escape has been well used with nearly 225,000km on it, and some of the softer parts are starting to show it. I recently redid the vinyl for the the parking brake boot and I wanted to do the shifter boot as well. However I can't seem to figure out to separate the boot from the knob.

The entire boot/knob was already loose from the shaft (shifting hard into 2nd or 4th would sometimes cause it to pull off). There were no screws holding the boot to the console and no screws holding the know to the boot, so this thread (2001-2004) doesn't seem to apply, and unfortunately this one is for automatics (no hex screw). I've searched for general Ford instructions and I've seen everything from simply pulling up, to unscrewing, to using a heat gun, or just the answer of it can't be done. I'm hoping the latter two aren't the case here since I don't have a heat gun and I want to replace it, but yeah, does anyone know how to separate the boot from the knob for a 2005 manual?

Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Please note, this solution isn't mine. It's from another forum...they guy who posted it got it from another forum. It's for a 2002, hopefully, the steps are similar. Go slow....HTH.

2002 Escape XLS 2.0L I4 5-spd manual

Well, I figured it out w a little help from another site.
Do not try to pull the shifter boot out - it's attached on the underside w a bracket & 4 screws.
Here's how to remove the center console & boot. It's very easy.

First, remove the shifter knob by unscrewing it counter-clockwise.
Next, remove the center console forward trim panel by pulling it straight up & out. The shifter boot is attached to that panel by a squarish plastic bracket. I used a flat bladed screwdriver to pry at the forward passenger side corner of the trim panel first, then just pulled the panel straght up.
The rearward trim panel pulls up in the same manner. The parking brake boot assy is attached to it.
FYI: each trim panel has four metal spring type clips instead of the hook type, so there's no need to press in the sides of the panels or anything - just pull the panels straight up & out.
Remove the center console base by unscrewing the 4 bolts securing it: 2 at the front & 2 at the rear. The rear bolts face outwards towards the seats - you have to slide the seats forward first. Use a 10mm socket.
The parking brake handle boot assy can be pulled/pried out.
Installlation is the reverse & everything goes back together easy squeezy.

Note: the parking brake boot is attached to a plastic bracket which has tabs to secure it. If you remove the boot assy, reinstall the parts as one unit. Install the boot onto the bracket, then insert the bracket ends first, then the sides.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Actually, the steps are not the same for a 2005-2007 E/M/T. Even the knob is different -- it's not threaded onto the shift lever.

The trim ring around the lower part of the boot snaps into the top console trim piece. If you remove the console trim piece first, you can access the tabs that hold the boot in place. This picture shows the automatic transmission trim ring, but the boot on the manual transmission models also has a ring with tabs. Just pull up on the parking brake, open the console armrest lid, and pull up on the console trim piece. There are no screws securing the console trim piece or the shift boot.

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... onsole.jpg

Once have the boot removed, you should be able to see a metal ring around the "fingers" at the lower end of the shift knob. Those fingers hold the knob in place over a notch in the shift lever, just below the knurled section (see below). Cut the ring (yes, this is from the service DVD!), and the fingers will separate enough to remove the knob. When you replace the knob, make sure that the lower section covers the knurled part of the shift lever and that the fingers snap into place in the notch on the lever. Replace the metal ring with another one (or something similar that will hold the fingers in place). A threaded hose clamp might work here, but I can't say for sure.

Direct image link: http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg10 ... ftboot.jpg

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ooops. I just noticed the OP already posted a link to the same instructions I posted. My bad.....Apologies. :blush:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
:lol:

Not a problem!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I had gotten as far as jpark's instructions go. My knob/boot already comes off on it's own - dangerous when it happens unexpectedly. The plastic clips holding the boot to the trim are worn and the metal ring was weakened and doesn't close the fingers tight enough, I'll be sure to pinch it a bit better when I put it back on. The problem I had was actually getting the knob separated from the boot itself.

I brought it into my office this morning so I could write my post and since I'm a slacker I had another look at it instead of working :shhh: . I don't know how I missed it yesterday, but there is a plastic ring (about 1" dia) underneath the boot above the fingers with teeth at the top that help grip the underside of the boot. Last night I thought that was all one solid piece of plastic and that the knob somehow detached from the fingers. I was so focused on pulling or twisting that I guess I didn't notice.

Long story short, I easily pried the plastic ring off and I feel dumb for not doing it yesterday. Oh well, maybe it will save someone else with a 2005-2007 some time :)

Thanks to both of you and hopefully someone else finds this useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts