Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like to do the regular maintenance to my cars, you know oil changes, tire rotation, fluids, etc.
the problem that i have is that i haven't been able to find an End Cap Oil Filter Wrench that fits the 09 mazda tribute oil filter.
i tried with the spider-type and clam action, and nylon straps, and the cap is just not deep enough to work with these tools.

at the moment i'm using an end cap oil filter wrench that is just a little big, but i stuff it with paper napkins of rags, to get enough pressure to get the cap loose.

so my question is:

how do you guys change it and what tools do you use?

hope to find some interesting answers...

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
If I ever changed my oil filter I'm sure I'd have some very interesting answers. :lol: I trust the service dept. to do it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My hand. An oil filter should never be tight enough that you can't use a little elbow grease and get it undone. Although if you have a V6 model like mine, make sure to have a couple rags to wipe off the exhaust manifold. I have yet to find a way to keep oil from getting on it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use my Channel lock pliers for oil filters as they're adjustable. I have a 1/2 dozen or so and this seems to be the most versatile. They're in the $30+ range, but you'll be able to use it for many others. Its obviously only a hinderance with tight access area cars.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+2 on the hand tighten. Oil filters can lock up pretty damn tight if over tightened. The next time you get it off just clamp it down with your hand and itll hold just fine untill you crank it off for a change.

·
Registered
256 Posts
yanith said:
i haven't been able to find an End Cap Oil Filter Wrench that fits the 09 mazda tribute oil filter.
i tried with the spider-type and clam action, and nylon straps, and the cap is just not deep enough to work with these tools.
Don't know what you mean by "spider", but this one works great on a 2003 Escape (and any other car I've tried it on with end access):

Available at Sears: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ter+wrench

Actually, I find the most effective way to deal with old oil filters is to DRIVE A CAR THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

-SPARKZZ

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
prowler said:
yanith said:
i haven't been able to find an End Cap Oil Filter Wrench that fits the 09 mazda tribute oil filter.
Don't know what you mean by "spider", but this one works great on a 2003 Escape (and any other car I've tried it on with end access):

Available at Sears: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ter+wrench

Actually, I find the most effective way to deal with old oil filters is to DRIVE A CAR THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY!

-SPARKZZ
Quite true! Also true:
An 80's model Izuzu pickup trucks don't have oil filters, nor do the original series 1,2, or 3 Volkswagens... :doh:

·
Premium Member
13,548 Posts
Walkingchaos said:
RobtRoma said:
Walkingchaos said:
^ . . . what is this strange vehicle you speak of which has no oil filter ? wind up car ?
Check his signature pic...
I know i was just joking :)
:doh: That's what I get for getting on the Internet and reading quickly before I go to bed... I miss the subtle things..

BTW - I don't change my own oil anymore. For the $20 or $30 it costs, it's worth it to just let the mechanic do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
first oil change usually ends up with screwdriver being stabbed through and filter coming off as a mangled mess as the factory job on most new cars is REALLY freekin tight. Once past that, due to different filter sizes between vehicles and sometimes limited space, I use some soft rubber oil filter remover cup type thing I picked up years ago. It works the same way as those rubber jar openers and just gives you a lot of extra grip to remove by hand. Works great!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.