Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
deal with a person who is constantly berating those around him? someone who has a god complex. someone whose sarcasm is sometimes funny, but usually just plain rude. someone who when they get annoyed with something that happens directly to them lashes out @ other people. and that someone is also your boss, who sits @ the terminal right next to you.

-e

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Weezy504 said:
deal with a person who is constantly berating those around him? someone who has a god complex. someone whose sarcasm is sometimes funny, but usually just plain rude. someone who when they get annoyed with something that happens directly to them lashes out @ other people. and that someone is also your boss, who sits @ the terminal right next to you.

-e
Now that is a really tough one. People like that usually have major issues that they are dealing with within themselves. They are very unhappy, miserable people and want to make everybody around them feel the same. This person being your boss makes it even worse. Even so, you have a right to be treated with dignity and respect and you should not have to tolerate this. I would talk to him and let him know how you feel. Just be sure and do so in professional manner. Even if he does not respond professionally.

Good Luck !!! Please keep us posted. :)

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I'd follow the chain of command and talk to him privately ....or have several co-workers go in with you and talk about how you feel his attitude/comments are not professional or contributing to low morale. Have documentation of examples. Explain that you want to respect him as a supervisor but expect respect back and what that "looks like" (no sarcasm, no yelling, common courtesy) Then if that doesn't help, talk to his supervisor and show documentation of specific events/comments/etc.

If he's that bad, talking to him may be a futile effort, but at least you tried solve the problem. And if he's that big of a jerk, you may just want to look elsewhere for employment.

Personally, I've never (knock on wood) had to deal with this so just throwing out some suggestions......I'm sure others here can offer more.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :beer:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well.. i thought about all that. problem with bringing other people in on it is they're good friends with him. they've worked with him for years and have known him even longer than that, so they know he's a jerk. one once told me even though he's one of his very best friends he's probably the biggest jerk he knows. and i feel if i say something in private to him he'll just say something dumb, call me susan and take something for my chronic vaginitis. the owner of the shop is just oblivious, so it's almost useless to go to him. i mean don't get me wrong, he can be nice. i've gone out of my way to do things for him, and he's thanked me for my graciousness. he actually apologized to me once b/c he was a royal dick the day before. i didnt say anything, he just up and said sorry for being a dick, but then followed it up with a comment along the lines of, dont be so dumb or something like that.. so he negated the apology. suppose i was lucky to get that much out of him. usually i just blow him off with "you're right, i'm an idiot." or just agree with what he says. other times i do tend to antagonize him by intentionally ignoring him or being sarcastic right back.. depends on me mood for the day.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Yikes. I wouldn't want to go to work each day knowing what was in store for me. He prolly kicks his dog too. :taz:
I guess basically then you either put up with him or look for another job.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
Dasha said:
Yikes. I wouldn't want to go to work each day knowing what was in store for me. He prolly kicks his dog too. :taz:
I guess basically then you either put up with him or look for another job.
Dasha is right. Having to go to a job and deal with such negativity on a regular basis would really get to me. I think that you need to decide whether you really want to work for a guy that is constantly knocking you down, or is it time to start seeking other employment.

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
I had a boss like that...I'm sorry to say the only solution was finding another job, but before I left, I made sure that he and everyone else in the office, knew EXACTLY the reason why I was leaving. :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
MadMax said:
I had a boss like that...I'm sorry to say the only solution was finding another job, but before I left, I made sure that he and everyone else in the office, knew EXACTLY the reason why I was leaving. :yahoo:
:thumb:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I worked with a job-setter like this. Come to find out he suffered from Manic depression. (Bi-Polar?) There was many a time, I wanted to :bang: But, what to do??? I just don't know. Other than getting another job. I'll have to think a little bit on this one.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Getting another job is an option, but you don't know what you might be stepping into if you do that; there could be more like him.

You could limit your interactions with this guy to strictly business and absolutely nothing more. Do your job, be polite, but otherwise have no social contact with him at all. If you go in every day knowing that you have set those limits, it might help. It won't make him more pleasant, but it will provide you the comfort of setting your own boundaries.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,590 Posts
I agree with what the others have already said.

It appears that your best option might be to seek other opportunities.

Until then, do your job to the best of your abilities, treat others like you want to be treated (regardless of whether they return the favor) and hang in there.

If all else fails, :box: :box:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
I dealt with someone like that for a few years.

When things were going well, he was a riot to have around. But when something went wrong, he was the first one to swear, throw things, and blame other people for things that he did. Then he'd hold a grudge, and use it as a sarcastic jab whenever he thought he was being funny.

We had an oblivious manager (the king of oblivious managers) at the time, too, but that didn't stop bi-polar boy from eventually being fired.

Here's hoping that's what happens to the guy you're working with now.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
If it were me...I would dish it right back to him. Being that I am young(er) I have very snappy comebacks and I'm not afraid to say anything to anyone...no matter what their seniority is. This could be a good thing and a bad thing. I still have my job so obviously I'm not saying that bad of things. But whenever something was on my mind, I was NOT afraid to say it at all. Especially if the guy is being a prick. Give him a taste of his own medicine and see how he handles it. If you are looking for another job this will at least let you have a little fun at this one before you leave :lol:

·
Super Moderator
14,902 Posts
Kiki said:
Getting another job is an option, but you don't know what you might be stepping into if you do that; there could be more like him.
True, but like a lot of unknowns, you might be trading one set of problems for another...but at lest they're NEW problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts