Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a model with the lane centering and adaptive cruise control. For those that own an Escape with this, how well does it work? Would you provide me with any feedback?

·
Registered
15 Posts
It seems to work well. I wish there was an option to turn it off but leave the lane indicators like my 2020 Fusion had. I don't use it a lot because my thinking is it's just something else to go wrong.

·
Super Moderator
4,752 Posts
I have the lane centering in my Bronco. Pretty much the same system. I find it pretty aggressive. Even on the light setting. I find the lane departure warning more to my liking. I have it set to lightly vibrate the steering wheel and beep.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
492 Posts
it works well, it does not see bicyclists. you have to use your turn signals anytime you want to get away from a baby who did not have good parents, playing in the street

I have had the lane centering follow a black tar line in the road… You definitely cannot rely on it. You have to be the failsafe.

I have also switched mine to warnings, as opposed to corrective measure. I will spend more time with it this summer, I am scared to test it in the winter where I live.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it works well, it does not see bicyclists. you have to use your turn signals anytime you want to get away from a baby who did not have good parents, playing in the street

I have had the lane centering follow a black tar line in the road… You definitely cannot rely on it. You have to be the failsafe.

I have also switched mine to warnings, as opposed to corrective measure. I will spend more time with it this summer, I am scared to test it in the winter where I live.
Are you saying that cyclists are baby's, or am I misunderstanding your post?

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I think he means two scenarios.
  1. Bike riders. It doesn't see them and try to avoid them, they usually are along side the road near the line it is following
  2. If something is in the road, lets say a baby (or a ladder or a bucket) and you try to avoid it, it will attempt to correct back into the obstacle
My dad doesn't like it in his 2020 Explorer. It follows too many right turn lanes that are in corners. But he also still looks over his shoulders and through the rear window when backing up (and ignoring that giant video in the center stack).

Reactions: Mountain Escape

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I think he means two scenarios.
  1. Bike riders. It doesn't see them and try to avoid them, they usually are along side the road near the line it is following
  2. If something is in the road, lets say a baby (or a ladder or a bucket) and you try to avoid it, it will attempt to correct back into the obstacle
My dad doesn't like it in his 2020 Explorer. It follows too many right turn lanes that are in corners. But he also still looks over his shoulders and through the rear window when backing up (and ignoring that giant video in the center stack).
my dad does the same thing… lol
he also gets angry when the steering wheel shakes, and the seat vibrates, and bells go off when he tries to change lanes

he says he doesn't know what side it is coming from… The alerts.
I told him it is the lane he is trying to go into.

thinking about it, I need to tell him when he's backing up, he needs to slam on the brakes with any kind of alarm. His car might do that automatically though.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
here is a weird observation, the only thing I can compare driving with everything turned on is… Driving a boxtruck, or high profile vehicle in a Highwind situation. Your hands have to be on the wheel at all times, and prepared for the wheel to move in a direction you do not want it to, at any time.

I can't imagine the Subarus with the hindsight feature… That actually does stop for obstacles if perceived in the road.

The new technology is getting there. my 2020 is a spaceship compared to the 2009

both are solid as a rock.

ps. hmmm
after rereading that, keeping your hands on the wheel, and being hyper aware for anything to happen at all times… Maybe they are onto something… lol

also sounds like a great Doors song
... because the future is uncertain and the end is always near.

let it roll baby

you should keep your eyes up on the road, and your hands upon the wheel ( :

(did anyone notice the clever allusion to put your cell phone down)

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
My sister has a Subaru with the accident avoidance, and it saved them twice from more than a bumper cover replacement. Too bad it out does humans that are not paying attention, or it would be zero rear bumper covers. I think it is old enough to not have Subaru EyeSight.

The 2020 Explorer Platinum has reverse brake assist and it will apply the brakes if senses a collision. That system has been the most frustrating because it doesn't work, it will brake when there is nothing there, and won't let them proceed. It seems to only be per driving session that it can be disabled. The Escape doesn't seem to have that.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
My sister has a Subaru with the accident avoidance, and it saved them twice from more than a bumper cover replacement. Too bad it out does humans that are not paying attention, or it would be zero rear bumper covers. I think it is old enough to not have Subaru EyeSight.

The 2020 Explorer Platinum has reverse brake assist and it will apply the brakes if senses a collision. That system has been the most frustrating because it doesn't work, it will brake when there is nothing there, and won't let them proceed. It seems to only be per driving session that it can be disabled. The Escape doesn't seem to have that.
that's ironic, my girlfriend has backed her Suby into things twice, and was extremely upset that the reverse braking system did not work.(she did admit she was in a hurry, and maybe the system wasn't quick enough? she only did cosmetic damage though… Maybe it did work.)

There are definitely some glitches still to work out. I mean the Tesla is wrecking when it's in auto pilot mode... I can't believe they have that mode! I find it hard to believe as well that someone thought it was a good idea to go to sleep in the backseat while commuting.

Both of my escapes only make noise that gets more desperate as you get close to the obstacle. It does not stop you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The important thing to remember is that the 2 systems are only aides and not Autonimous Driving. If that is what you are looking for then this is not the right vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts