Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long does everyone plan on keeping their E/M/T? Until it can't run anymore? Five years?

I got mine as a graduation gift from college, but I have a full time job and am saving up for the car I have always wanted, a BMW 328xi.
I'm guessing it will take me another year or two to save up the money to buy one on my own and will have to sell the escape, which will have very low miles on it being I only have 6,000 on it now being one year old.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I usually start looking for a new vehicle as soon as it starts getting expensive to keep. As it is right now I don't spend a whole lot more than the oil changes and regular maintenance stuff but when the truck starts to see the mechanic more than 3 or 4 times a year it's time to shop for something new. I'm hoping that I'll get at least another 5 years out of this one.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Till the apocalypse or a freak accident, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've only had it two months and the Honeymoon is still on. Don't plan on getting rid of it for a long time.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I plan to keep, the escape long as possible.
Purchased my car, in december of 2006.
It is maintained thoroughly.

This is my first experience, with a Mazda four cylinder engine.
I LOVE IT!
The economy is acceptable.
Overall this escape suits my lifestyle.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I bought my Escape back in March of 2005. Since then, I've put about 80,000 miles on it and plan to put another 40K on it in 2-3 years. By then, my wife and I should have the money saved up to go buy the Mustang I've always wanted!!!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
When it no longer runs...

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
After the first year or so, I became pretty frustrated with the CD4E transmission and attempted to sell it and try another SUV but the bottom fell out of the market so I kept it rather than losing my shirt on trade in. Now that it's almost paid off I decided to keep it for a while, try living with no car payments!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Till it drops.

So far my plan has been if something breaks, fix it with something as good but preferably better, and run it till it something else goes pop and fix that. I've found replacing things on the Escape has overall been much cheaper than payments on a new vehicle, and to be honest I don't think any new vehicle is going to be built as well, I'm fairly confident the 08+ Escapes aren't.

I've ran my Escape to Hades and back and it's still going. I've tipped it up on it's side, jumped it, drifted it, spun it, and slid it. It's been hit by a Tahoe, a Cow, 2 deer, pulled itself out of ditches, pulled itself out of mud, and knock on wood the thing still runs like a scared rabbit and tracks straight as an arrow down the road. Over 144,000 miles and counting.

Hopefully I'll get my 1966 Ford Bronco in good condition to take over the off road duties. It might fill the gap where the Escape falls short in off road ability and with the Bronco I should be able to pull my pop-up camper.

I know I probably need a truly economical vehicle at some point as much as I drive (over 70 miles a day), but so far the Escape is the only acceptable vehicle that is economical and tough, and fits my lifestyle in that it can usually go where I want to go and pack all my junk either inside or on top, and even take some friends along if I happen to find stupid brave souls to ride with me. If I get a new vehicle I want a Nissan Xterra Off Road edition, but don't ask me why, I know it's not practical, but it looks tough and should do well off road, like an Escape on steroids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll go until the repair bills start reaching new car payment territory. It would be nice to pass it on to my oldest son when he can drive, but the Escape would be about 17 years old then. It's been reliable so far - hopefully it can make it.

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I'd love to keep my Escape for another 4-6 years and maybe more. It's been paid off for over 3-1/2 years now but I'm putting about 2k/yr into it. The most recent bill was for new tires, new front brakes, an oil change and having the mechanic look for why my engine sounded like popcorn popping. The noise is gone for now... hopefully it stays that way.

What I'd really like is to keep the Escape as a bad weather/utility vehicle and get a new Mustang as a fair weather car... :yes: :)P

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm one that only likes to buy cars with cash, no loans. I do most of the work myself so cost is only in parts and my time, but I plan on keeping it until I either don't have time to fix it as often as it breaks, like my last car, or it gets too costly.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Bought a 2010 in October 2009. Plan to be still driving it in 2020. :D

Realistically I drive 20k miles/year. That lines up nicely with my 100,000/5-year b-t-b warranty. So on the 5th anniversary, I will have to start tracking $$ for any repairs. Right now I have paid $0 and will pay $0 until that 5 year ends. Even oil changes are free for the 1st 36,000 miles so I am literally only paying for gas right now. Sure I have a loan payment now, but it will be paid off in 3 years. So I will be enjoying 2 years of non payments.

I hope to drive it for a very, very long time. I love it. I have had a few brand spankin' new vehicles and this is by far the best one I have owned so far.

·
Registered
700 Posts
RobtRoma said:
What I'd really like is to keep the Escape as a bad weather/utility vehicle and get a new Mustang as a fair weather car... :yes: :)P
This is exactly my plan. I had thought I was going to purchase a truck in the future, but after visiting the Ford dealer last weekend and seeing a new 5.0 convertible, my mind was quickly changed. I WILL have one. 26 MPG on the highway AND 412+ HP! Here's a pic of the mind changer...

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hmmm, don't know. I sure can't pay for a vehicle with cash. I go the 4-5 year loan route. My 05 Mariner will be paid off in 2 months! :yahoo: I plan on paying off a student loan quickly after that. Then I will either get a new SUV or keep the Mariner and get a fun lil sporty car. SUV's kindof ruined small cars for me though. I like being up high on the road and although I've sat in Mustangs for fun in car dealerships, I think it'd be hard to go back to a small, low to the ground car. I feel safer in SUV's. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Dasha, keep the Mariner and buy something fun and impractical, why not? That was my plan then my Jetta fell into my lap- somewhat practical and definitely fun. Next year I'll have 2 paid off cars and both are fun to drive!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Ajax said:
Dasha, keep the Mariner and buy something fun and impractical, why not? That was my plan then my Jetta fell into my lap- somewhat practical and definitely fun. Next year I'll have 2 paid off cars and both are fun to drive!
Thanks, Ajax. That is definitely an option! :calvin:

·
Registered
384 Posts
My goal is to take over the Escape from my wife whenever it is paid off and drive it into the ground. I work at home, so I don't need a fancy car...my 2002 Crapalier is still going strong and I have no plans on getting rid of it. I don't want two car payments, and whenever the Escape is paid off, the Cavalier will likely be at the end of its' usable lifespan and will need put out to pasture. My wife will get the new car and I will just drive the old one until it either doesn't move without the aid of a tow truck or it starts costing me more money than it's worth.

·
Registered
420 Posts
at least 5 years, thats when it will b paid off. i will prolly keep until i can afford to trade it in on a newer escape... maybe a 2010 in 2015

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
ISU01XCapeXLT said:
...after visiting the Ford dealer last weekend and seeing a new 5.0 convertible... I WILL have one. Here's a pic of the mind changer...

Sweet! I'd really love a 2011 GT but I don't think I could afford it. NJ isn't a cheap place to live... :( I've been looking at used ones. I love the sound of the Mustang v8's. Nothing like it but... I'd even be willing to take a really good looking v6 because the v8 insurance would probably be insanely high around here. $15-20k is about as high as my budget will let me go right now...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts