Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2008 Escape Ltd Awd with 24k miles. Great condition and loaded with all the bells an whistles. Plan to drive for a year and hand off to my daughter who is getting her license in @ year. Took the standard dealer route test drives and everything felt fine. Is a certified pre-owned with one prior owner. Actually in service @ 2.5 years.

My question is how much bump/vibration should I tolerate as "normal" when driving when hitting usual road bumps. When I'm going 65 and hit expansion joints the thud/bounce/vibration seems excessive but I'm coming off driving a lexus sedan for 3 years. Don't want overly hassle the dealer about it but it just seems excessive as in my research I've not seen anyone complain about such things and quite the opposite the comments have been positive about a comfortable drive.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would really take a look at the sway arm bushings. Moog makes a great one. The OE bushing on some of the '08s went out fairly quick. also take a look at the struts as i've read some of the '08 struts go out due to a seal, around 45,000.
Other wise the rear creek is normal unfortunately..
Fortunate for you the SUV is a solid safe and stable ride for your daughter. :bill:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
megascape said:
I would really take a look at the sway arm bushings. Moog makes a great one. The OE bushing on some of the '08s went out fairly quick. also take a look at the struts as i've read some of the '08 struts go out due to a seal, around 45,000.
Other wise the rear creek is normal unfortunately..
Fortunate for you the SUV is a solid safe and stable ride for your daughter. :bill:
I agree, also nothing that some new struts won't fix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to take a ride back by the dealer to point it out. Don't have high expectations on how they will react but we'll see. At least you've validated that a) there could be something to look at (as I was worried that I've been pampered in the sedan) and b) it is a safe choice for my daughter (always a key concern).

Will let you know how things turn out.

Thanks for the feedback - great forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way, I know a fair amount about cars but not too much beyond the basics about suspension/steering....

Can you further explain " would really take a look at the sway arm bushings. Moog makes a great one. The OE bushing on some of the '08s went out fairly quick"

Which parts are these and is there a way to check them manually so that I can point to something being questionable when I go in to see dealer?

·
Registered
438 Posts
My Tribute in no way rides like a sedan. It will be bouncier and you'll notice bumps much more than other vehicles. The Escape/Tribute/Mariner do have nicer rides than your typical SUV, even for sitting up so high, but in no way like a Lexus.

But do talk to the service reps and have them inspect the vehicle for piece of mind. Worn bushings or shocks can be the culprit, but at 24K miles I'm not so sure. If the tires are worn uneven to would suggest the suspension parts are the problem. But it can be the tires and inflation rates. Make sure they are at 30psi. plus the OEM tires they put on from the factory are not always the best.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's not anything I notice; but I've driven trucks or SUV's for years. I tried to pay attention while crusing around today, and I could tell when we hit an expansion crack, or some other obstacle, but nothing bad. I cuould lessen it a tad if I drpooed the psi from 40 to the reccomended 35, but would lose a tad mpg, I like my 30-32 avg I have going.

My 65 Falcon takes bumps way better then either my Escape or EB Expedition, and the Expy is better than the Escape of course. I thing wheel base has something to do with it too, longer is better.

Overall I'm still excited with my Escape, I've heard thay are safe in accidents, I think someone on here, or GH said they were in a wreck, people were gine, Escape was totaled.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I could lessen it a tad if I dropped the psi from 40 to the reccomended 35, but would lose a tad mpg, I like my 30-32 avg I have going.
Well then you have to decide if you want ride vs MPG. I'm pretty sure the recommended PSI from Ford is 30PSI. My '05 is 30psi all around, check your sticker on the inside of the door. I bump mine to 32PSI and feel it gives a nice ride without being too harsh. Of course my avg. is 21mpg.
35-40psi is just too much IMO.

·
Registered
322 Posts
LX302 said:
I could lessen it a tad if I dropped the psi from 40 to the reccomended 35, but would lose a tad mpg, I like my 30-32 avg I have going.
Well then you have to decide if you want ride vs MPG. I'm pretty sure the recommended PSI from Ford is 30PSI. My '05 is 30psi all around, check your sticker on the inside of the door. I bump mine to 32PSI and feel it gives a nice ride without being too harsh. Of course my avg. is 21mpg.
35-40psi is just too much IMO.
I'm pretty sure my reccomended is 35 all around, and max on the side wall is 50, maybe 45. But what ever the #'s I added 5psi, not 10 like some craz hypermillers do! Not going that far to save a few cents. I have the EcoPlus conti's Ford put on the 08 hybrids, I think in 09 they went with michellins. The low rolling resistance (lrr) tires may have higher psi ratings then a std tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I dropped the car off at the dealer for them to check and eval. They've said they need to replace one of the front struts. Bothersome that they won't replace both but I'll make that arguement when I call to sched the replacement visit since they had to order the parts (surprising to me).

In addition I experienced the blower motor jumping and staying on high problem that was described on another forum in here and provided me the ford issued repair notice for firepower. Funny thing is that the rookie that answered my call said that they would have to "see/experience" the problem or they could not fix it. I asked him to pack a bag because I wan't sure when the next time it would happen so he may need to ride around with me for an undertermined period of time.....he didn't get the sarcasm. Cooler heads prevailed when I dropped it off and they also ordered the $5 part.

Now when I was looking around in the engine compartment I noticed oil splattered around by the serp belt. I then noticed what looked to be a leak on the top of the pulled just above the a/c compressor pully. UUUUUGH! Have to tell them to check that now. So much for Cert Preowned. Still under B to B 36k warranty so i don't expect to pay for anything but didn't expect to be dealing with all this. Anyone else see a leak in that general area???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update to my situation.....I think I'm in good shape now.

They had to replace a sensor in the HVAC system that was know to be faulty. Also replaced front driver strut as it was failing and giving me the excessive vibrations. I also noticed a shutter when braking so, what the heck, I mentioned it. They said front rotors were warped and cut them. Picked up the car and there was a grinding and clunking noise from the brakes and shutter was worse but at higher speed. Needless to say I called back and ripped them as it will be three visits in three weeks for my new (used) car.....

Brought it back and they replaced rotors and pads in front and all is well.

Surprisingly annoying process but in the end things seem ok. Getting the right guy a the dealership helped a lot. By the way, it wasn't an oil leak, just residual left over from a trans recall that they had done just prior to sale (so they say). I'll keep an eye on it. Still have 12k left on the bumper to bumper

Thanks for feedback above.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Glad to hear that is working out well. Brakes are sometimes fairly noisy when the disks are turned on a lathe. Depends on who, and how the trimming is accomplished. I've had it quiet, and also noisy after the fact. I usually just let them wear in as in the past, I was the mechanic... :blush:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts