Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any tools or means to lift the car on my own out here, so I'm probably just going to bring my 04 V6 escape to a mechanic. My car is throwing the code for the 1st bank O2 sensor failure. I got a quote from a dealership for ~$300, but that seems crazy. It looks like the part is ~$60 online, and labor shouldn't be too hard. Am I right?

·
Registered
288 Posts
$300 for an O2 sensor? Is that dealer on drugs?? Buy the part yourself, have a buddy install it for you. Trust me, it's not difficult to do. Stay away from dealers like that! He's a thief!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
fotojack said:
$300 for an O2 sensor? Is that dealer on drugs?? Buy the part yourself, have a buddy install it for you. Trust me, it's not difficult to do. Stay away from dealers like that! He's a thief!
Hang on there, hoss - it might not be as ridiculous as you think. Nowadays, the OEM O2 sensors can go for over $200, and if you factor in a standard hour of labor at $100/hr, there's your $300.

I agree though - it's much cheaper and pretty easy to buy the sensor and install it yourself.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
An O2 is a sensor, so just because it finds something wrong doesn't me that it's wrong. You may have some engine problem causing the DTC. Depending what DTC it is.

·
Registered
482 Posts
wptski said:
An O2 is a sensor, so just because it finds something wrong doesn't me that it's wrong. You may have some engine problem causing the DTC. Depending what DTC it is.
I read this and I had to chuckle. The thread got wrapped up in the price of the O2 sensor.

You're right, does the sensor really needs to be replaced or is there another (real) problem.

We all do it, get wrapped up and lose sight of what needs to be attended. Got nothing to add, since we don't have enough tech info. I just had to say that. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Four_Eyes said:
wptski said:
I read this and I had to chuckle. The thread got wrapped up in the price of the O2 sensor.

You're right, does the sensor really needs to be replaced or is there another (real) problem.

We all do it, get wrapped up and lose sight of what needs to be attended. Got nothing to add, since we don't have enough tech info. I just had to say that. :rockon:
Right, you don't shoot the messenger!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
wptski said:
Four_Eyes said:
wptski said:

Right, you don't shoot the messenger!
I suppose when I answer questions like this, I assume that the individual has already done a proper diagnosis to determine that the sensor really is bad. Many of the O2 sensor codes are more straightforward (i.e., a code actually means that the part is bad) than the rest of your system. But yes, shotgunning it by replacing parts left and right is never a good approach.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
A lean/rich DTC are the two main ones that are caused by something else. Circuit DTC can be caused by wiring. The iffy ones are the switching DTCs as the O2 doesn't switch but is a normal function operated by the PCM. I've caught a slow switching DTC that was pending or before it set the CEL.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a place to do it for $184. I'd have done it myself, but I'm on an internship in Wisconsin right now, and as far as tools go, I have a screwdriver and that's it... It was throwing 2 codes, one was an issue with the circuit. Afterwards, all clean and no issues. I wanted to have the car gone over again once more before I drive back to MA next month anyway, and they threw in a tire rotation/brake inspection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts