Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently purchased my first Escape. She is a beautiful car that has been well looked after. She has 54000km on her.
I think that it is time to drain and replace the coolant. My husband is very handy and wants to do this himself. He is not sure where the drain plug is . What brand/type of coolant have people used? I am in Australia so I need to know Australian brands please.
Can someone please help us? :confused:
He did an oil change and that went well so he is keen to do the coolant as well.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not real sure about the Aussie style. The drain plug should be on the Drivers (?) side at the bottom of radiator. Should take a socket to open. What type or brand antifreeze to use.(?) Can't help there, not familiar with what's available. We have other members from Australia here. I'm sure they'll answer when they read your post.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
There should be a white or yellow plastic drain plug on your driver's side (our passenger side) near the bottom of the radiator, on the side facing the engine. It may take a socket or adjustable wrench to crack open the first time, but I hand-tighten and hand-loosen mine because the plastic tends to crack after a few years of use (replacements are on the shelves of most of our parts stores here). That will drain the radiator and the overflow tank, but leave about 40% of the coolant in the engine block. I wouldn't bother with the engine block drain plugs, as those tend to be rusty and you're in for a lot of work if you strip one of those threads. Once the new coolant is in, leave the overflow tank cap off and run the car with the blower on full heat until the coolant temperature needle has been at the middle of the gauge for a few minutes. Drive it around the block if you need to. Then tighten the overflow tank cap and you should be done.

Use distilled water, which should be available in jugs next to the coolant at the store. I use regular green coolant and change it every year or two. You can also get the pink(?) or orange long-life stuff, but stay away from Dex-Cool or anything targeted specifically for GM/Holden vehicles. Use a low-tox coolant if you are draining the coolant outside where animals can get to it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
wenyeepick said:
Hi, I have recently purchased my first Escape. She is a beautiful car that has been well looked after. She has 54000km on her.
I think that it is time to drain and replace the coolant. My husband is very handy and wants to do this himself. He is not sure where the drain plug is . What brand/type of coolant have people used? I am in Australia so I need to know Australian brands please.
Can someone please help us? :confused:
He did an oil change and that went well so he is keen to do the coolant as well.
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I would go to your nearest Repco store and buy a 5L container of REPCO GLOBAL COOLANT. Use this at a 50/50 mix with water. The Repco Global Coolant exceeds Ford specs and is one of the best on the shelf. I have been using this in mine for the past few years and the system is still nice and clean.

Hope this helps out :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Tribby,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :D

This will help my husband, he was abit nervious as our other car is 20 years plus and he was not sure if there was any tricks to it.

We were looking for a manual but with all the help that is available here we am not need it.
Again many thanks and Happy Easter to all. :yahoo:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:) Wow!
What can I say this forum is great! :happy:

I was unsure about many things on our new car, but I have the feeling that we will have heaps of help.
Thanks for making me welcome. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Squishy said:
There should be a white or yellow plastic drain plug on your driver's side (our passenger side) near the bottom of the radiator, on the side facing the engine. It may take a socket or adjustable wrench to crack open the first time, but I hand-tighten and hand-loosen mine because the plastic tends to crack after a few years of use (replacements are on the shelves of most of our parts stores here). That will drain the radiator and the overflow tank, but leave about 40% of the coolant in the engine block. I wouldn't bother with the engine block drain plugs, as those tend to be rusty and you're in for a lot of work if you strip one of those threads. Once the new coolant is in, leave the overflow tank cap off and run the car with the blower on full heat until the coolant temperature needle has been at the middle of the gauge for a few minutes. Drive it around the block if you need to. Then tighten the overflow tank cap and you should be done.

Use distilled water, which should be available in jugs next to the coolant at the store. I use regular green coolant and change it every year or two. You can also get the pink(?) or orange long-life stuff, but stay away from Dex-Cool or anything targeted specifically for GM/Holden vehicles. Use a low-tox coolant if you are draining the coolant outside where animals can get to it.
Is there a picture of where this drain on the radiator is? I cant even see my radiator from under the car and suspect I need to remove the bumper cover for this coolant change?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I don't have a picture, but this is on your passenger side on the side of the radiator facing away from the bumper cover. No need to remove anything. Look at the "side tank" of the radiator (can't remember what they're called) and it should be near the bottom, a small protrusion with a white plastic hex bolt at the end.

I have been hand-tightening these now, as I have cracked too many of them using wrenches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.