Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am looking at getting a V6 Tribute or Escape how much real world MPG could I increase?

I am thinking if I get a Tribute or Escape to do these things:

Intake
Exhaust (maybe a header if one exists) at the least: a high flow cat converter, high flow muffler, stainless pipe, etc.
All synthetic fluids: Engine, tranny, differentials.
MSD high output coil pack (if one exists)
New wires and plugs
tranny cooler
engine oil cooler

I looked at the factor exhaust set up: Big honking muffler, tail pipe muffler, small looking cat converter. I figure it would have to help mileage to change all that.

Anyone have done these changes and then documented and tracked the gas mileage numbers?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
New2tribute said:
Since I am looking at getting a V6 Tribute or Escape how much real world MPG could I increase?

Intake
Exhaust (maybe a header if one exists) at the least: a high flow cat converter, high flow muffler, stainless pipe, etc.
New wires and plugs
tranny cooler
engine oil cooler

I looked at the factor exhaust set up: Big honking muffler, tail pipe muffler, small looking cat converter. I figure it would have to help mileage to change all that.

Anyone have done these changes and then documented and tracked the gas mileage numbers?

Thoughts?
About the only thing that in my opinion, would be of true value is a tranny cooler, and that is only if you plan on trailering or doing any extended high altitude driving. Exhausts do improve the sound of the engine, but I doubt they will do anything substantial to improve mileage. Some mods actually adversely affect the mpg your truck will get. :doh: Go figure. :shrug:

You want better mileage? Look at four cylinders. ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interesting. Can I ask why you've decided on the Escape/Tribute V6? You've already decided that you need to modify the vehicle to get better fuel economy so why wouldn't you just look for something which doesn't need modification to achieve that goal?
Surely paying X amount of dollars for a car knowing that you'll spend even more to get it to use less fuel is false economy....
One of the reasons the Escape/Tribute V6 is popular is the fact that it has a little more "grunt" than its peers.. that grunt is obviously at the expense of fuel economy... If you don't want the extra power and torque, then why not look at a 4 cylinder..or even a hybrid.

Just my 2cents worth. :popcorn:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is in itself the nature of the problem I have been trying to reconsile. I want a suv, though a small one, good power, and fairly good gas mileage, great reliability, fairly priced, with a long running life. Finding the vehicle with all that in one has been a significant if not impossible task. In my experience if you add a good exhaust, add a good intake, it usually opens things up and if you keep your foot out of it, increased gas mileage. The only reliabilty issue is the ford transmission. On that point why would Ford keep making a transmission that is problematic to the point of almost being a factory defect? I guess all automatics are just problems ready to happen unless you slap in a heavy duty rebuild kit. The hybrid is a option but the technology has not matured enough. The four cylinders do not have enough power for my taste particularly in awd. I like people to give their two cents, if I didn't I would just stick my head in the ground and buy uninformed. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think the $$ you will spend to save a few mpg could provide enough gas money to cover 6 years worth of a gas cost differential. Or to put it in other words, how many years would $2,000 buy you in 2-3 mpg less? My best example of saving mpg is driving habits. It is free and saves a LOT of mpg.

Example: I have a 2010 2.5L AWD and my wife drives a 2010 Fusion. Basically the same engine/tranny. I get better gas mileage than her. That is because she uses the gas pedal light a light switch with no in between.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sinister mob said:
I think the $$ you will spend to save a few mpg could provide enough gas money to cover 6 years worth of a gas cost differential. Or to put it in other words, how many years would $2,000 buy you in 2-3 mpg less? My best example of saving mpg is driving habits. It is free and saves a LOT of mpg.

Example: I have a 2010 2.5L AWD and my wife drives a 2010 Fusion. Basically the same engine/tranny. I get better gas mileage than her. That is because she uses the gas pedal light a light switch with no in between.
True. I though plan to buy online a generic or on sale cat converter with a generic or on sale stainless performance muffler. There is a local shop that does excellent work and uses stainless if requested for a little more than regular piping.

If the air intake is to much I will modify a factory one or and/or throw in a K&N filter. The other stuff is fairly cheap between Autozone, JC whitney, Summit, Jegs, etc. I may spend a grand at the most, probably much cheaper. Around $600 maybe. You are correct, driving habit is the number one issue.

Since I am a lead foot perhaps I better get a scooter! :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
The comment about the 4 cylinder Hybrid being gutless is not true. There are folks who have towed trailers without issue. The transmission in the hybrid is not identical to the non-hybrid and has a minimum 8 year or 100,000 mile warranty. Drawback? Purchase price may be a premium but resale is higher. Reading your comments, I would direct you towards the 4 cylinder Escape. These vehicles are not AWD but can go into 4wd without user input.

·
Registered
574 Posts
sinister mob said:
. I get better gas mileage than her. That is because she uses the gas pedal light a light switch with no in between.
This made me laugh - a great analogy.

Driving with my wife is exactly the same. She can't figure out why her car gets 20% better mileage when I drive it, and I drive it faster. When she drove my Escape, with me as the passenger, I could almost hear the gas being burned. On-off-on-off-on-off. Oh well, at least I can take a carton of chocolate milk with me when she drives, and it a mile or two I get a cheap milkshake.
:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
New2tribute said:

Intake
New wires and plugs
tranny cooler
engine oil cooler

Thoughts?
I have to agree with most posters here - unless you spend really big bucks for the really good parts, this stuff is all snake oil. It may make it sound better, or seem to perform better, but it does nothing generally for HP or MPG. A good tune up on an older neglected car makes a big difference, but "high performance" plugs, wires, etc generally make no difference to anyone but a dyno computer - and even then it is negligible.

If you are really worried about MPG, get the 4 cyl. Or a 4cl RAV4 - a friend of mine has one and raves about the consumption being less than his old 2005 4cyl Accord.

But my V6 (2009) is 4WD and is pretty good on gas (see related threads).

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a 2009 V6 and I'm happy with the gas mileage. I get about 19 mpg when driving in the city. When I get on the highway and drive fast I get 25 mpg. If you really want to get good gas mileage on the highway, slow down from 70 to 60 mph. I can get as much as 30 mpg if I drive 60 mph.

The stock air intake and exhaust system are already very good. I doubt that you could improve it enough to notice an increase in gas mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True. High performance parts, like plugs will not do much of anything. I mean just a tune up including OEM replacement parts and filter replacements using the lifetime warranty parts from Autozone. Except perhaps a higher output coil pack, maybe.

If MSD made a unit that would fit these vehicles it would help with MPG. They do not though.

In regards to intake I have to look at it to make my mind up about it. Makes no sense to go from a true factory cold air intake to one in which your sucking hot air from the engine compartment, even if it is a little increase in air flow. In that case I would modify the factory box (one from a junk yard) and slap in a K&N filter.

Most stock mufflers are fairly restrictive from what I have seen over the years as they are created with cost saving measure in mind and to keep the exhaust as quiet as possible. That creates a overdue amount of back pressure which stifles the motor a little. Freeing it up can increase HP a little and fuel economy a little.

This applies to cat converters as well.

True again a four cylinder would get better mileage but with the bigger 2.0L-2.5L four cylinders the gas mileage is not that much better than the 3.0L V6. True gas misers are the 1.7L Honda civics, non hybrids get like 39mpg hwy.

I have thought about a small AWD hatchback with a 2.5 or 2.3 four cylinder. They are fairly quick and can go many more places than a fwd vehicle.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A "free" method to improve mileage is to increase tire pressure. Frequently done with those owning the hybrid version.

·
Registered
197 Posts

http://www.sctflash.com/Economizer.php
That's about it. The only thing performance parts are going to do is squeak out a little more throttle response with the Escape. Exactly what the word suggests. The V6 on a good day with adult driving habits will net what everyone else has said. I've managed to get 22-23 mpg in the city when I behave myself. On average, I get about 20-21mpg. Not bad for an SUV. It's a good truck, it's never left me stranded and I've had no major issues outside of standard things I've had on all my vehicles. Just follow suggestions on maintenance on this board and you'll be golden. THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH MAINTENANCE. I've been told that I tend to overdo it. Again, my vehicles have never left me stranded. Bottom line, it's a good truck, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So you're out to get the best mileage?

1. Fresh plugs.

2. New air filter.

3. Synthetic fluids.

4. Proper tire pressure.

5. Above all....driving habits.

If the after market mods were any good at producing economy, the manufacturer of the vehicle would have incorporated them. They spend lots of money on research to get these things as efficient as they can for what they are.

Some things hurt mileage. One can be after market exhaust. The stock engine is tuned to provide bottom end TQ with a certain back pressure in the exhaust. If you reduce the back pressure, it can have a negative result on the engines bottom end TQ. There aint no way that would help your mileage. It might squeeze a few extra HP at higher RPM's but thats not what you're after if you have mileage on your mind.

·
Registered
57 Posts
buy one with the 2.5L and 6spd ATX. The 6spd isn't the notorious CD4E.

You couldn't pay me to own a V6. That just ends up wasting thousands of dollars over the lifetime of a vehicle. If I need to tow more than 2000 lbs, i'll rent something.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
As mentioned before, driving habits, is the best way to go for better gas mileage and I may add also tires choice and elimination of any extra weight.
Any intervention in the intake or exhaust system of any car is done for boosting torque/power at high revs,aka "more fuel".None of them is meant for economizing.Furthermore, a free flow catalyst or anything that claims "free" in the exhaust system means less torque at low to medium revs.Intake air mods with the air sacked direclty from inside the engine compartment means hotter ie thinner air and as a result less power although psycologically because of the more agressive sound you feel scooping the Indianapolis brickyard.
Like with oil additives and "snake oils" there are "snake mods" as well.
PS.Mods as in modifications.Not as in moderators.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
badtlc said:
buy one with the 2.5L and 6spd ATX. The 6spd isn't the notorious CD4E.

You couldn't pay me to own a V6. That just ends up wasting thousands of dollars over the lifetime of a vehicle. If I need to tow more than 2000 lbs, i'll rent something.
I am not sure if the extra gas runs into the thousands but certainly is additional cost in the short and long run.

You know it really sucks that such a good vehicle like the Escape/Tribute has such a sucky transmission. I mean after doing all my research I figure its pretty much a crap shoot on if the Four speed transmission is going to have problems. Its almost like if you have one without problems your the lucky one. If I get one its almost a guaranty that it will be toast. I checked on a used car warranty and they are not so bad as everyone says. They do pay out BUT it cost $2000 dollars to warranty a 2005 Tribute with 83k on it.

I cannot or do not wat to afford or spend the money on a six speed. Wish I could as they seem to be developed mainly because of the four speed problems and secondary to increase gas mileage through gearing.

Sitting on the fence on getting a Tribute. :confused:

·
Registered
250 Posts
kmoose said:
sinister mob said:
. I get better gas mileage than her. That is because she uses the gas pedal light a light switch with no in between.
This made me laugh - a great analogy.

Driving with my wife is exactly the same. She can't figure out why her car gets 20% better mileage when I drive it, and I drive it faster. When she drove my Escape, with me as the passenger, I could almost hear the gas being burned. On-off-on-off-on-off. Oh well, at least I can take a carton of chocolate milk with me when she drives, and it a mile or two I get a cheap milkshake.
:)
I can get terrific fuel efficiency on my 2001 Escape by not letting my wife drive it* at all. :)P

*She doesn't have a license anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts