Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems its a bit noisy when driving on highway, anyway to reduce it a little bit :p i have to crank the music volume to compensate the noise level

·
Registered
16 Posts
One easy and obvious place to start is with your tires. Some tire designs sacrifice road noise and comfort in favor of being more aggressive. Others are designed as quiet, touring tires.
See what you have. Tire Rack has ratings for different characteristics of the tires they sell so you can compare. Also, if your tires are old and worn they will tend to be louder, especially if they are worn unevenly.

An Escape is basically a big empty box in which noises are magnified so choices like tires, which might make a small difference in a car, can make a big difference in an SUV.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
escapeornoescape said:
it seems its a bit noisy when driving on highway, anyway to reduce it a little bit :p i have to crank the music volume to compensate the noise level
One of my friends in college always said the same thing.

:lol:

You have the same wheels and tires that I do, and I can definitely tell you that the 2010's Michelins are about 4,000dB quieter than the factory Continentals that I had on my 2005 Escape. And my 2005 Escape was quieter than my 1999 Explorer with the recalled Firestones. That Explorer sounded like a monster truck just going down the street, and those were factory tires.

Look at the charts at http://www.tirerack.com for any tire size, and you can see a big difference in user reports for ride, noise, and traction.

Finally, GM is using Active Noise Cancellation on the 2010 Equinox and Terrain. http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2009 ... rrain.html

But I drove a Terrain out of curiosity before I bought my 2010 Escape, and I wasn't impressed. The Escape just feels better.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Most of the road noise is picked up at the wheel well and front dash area. If you want, you can try to stuff some extra sound deadening material into the cavities behind plastic interior pieces to try and dampen the noise levels some more.

I've always wanted to stuff the rear wheel house area with dynomat to cut down on the noise level from the cargo area. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
836 Posts
With all of the soundproofing I did for the stereo project, mine sounds like a Lexus. Yesterday I had the hatch open to carry home cases of wood flooring, and I could hear the exhaust for the first time. Seriously consider soundproofing the rear cargo and wheel wells.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
escapeornoescape said:
Definitely!!! Rammstein on the way to work and Frank Sinatra on the way home.... :shades:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Figured another way to reduce noise.... Duct Tape on the Mrs. :D

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
KCCO_773 said:
OH NO YOU DI'INT!!! :shock:

:D :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
KCCO_773 said:
:bang: :rant:
You're in big trouble mister!!

RobtRoma said:
KCCO_773 said:

And you're in big trouble too, Rob! You shouldn't have laughed! :spank:

:hyst:

:D

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
Colleen said:
RobtRoma said:
KCCO_773 said:

And you're in big trouble too, Rob! You shouldn't have laughed! :spank:
DOH!!! :bill:

·
Premium Member
13,543 Posts
I know... I was just making a funny ;) :peace:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I find I get a lot of extra noise from this part of the vehicle ...

Mostly happy noises, but there are some pretty fussy times too :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
To me this is ironic, yall talking about passenger tires being noisy, and here I was very disappointed at how quite my super swampers were on my truck when I first put em on. :lol:

And the same with the AT's I just put on the scape.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I had to... I just had to.. :hyst: :hyst:

My apologies ladies... :peace:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
:heart: Thanks... :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts