Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get under the coating and remove any rust at work, especially any corrosion headed for my shock mount tower.

Will paint stripper or lacquer thinner loosen that wheel well coating to clean it down to metal?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Chisel, wire brush, varsol, acetone. You will also need a face protector, time, and patience.
I did not try paint stripper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not try paint stripper.
I've read of heavy duty oven cleaner, Goof Off, and some gel strippers. There is also gel acid for the rust spots. I plan to re-spray with Steel-It and then bed liner.

Wish Ford would do a co-pay with owners to fix THEIR bloody problem.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you are talking about the rear wheel well, that metal is so thin. IMO, it's best to reinforce from the inside with fiberglass if you plan on doing yourself. I would also chip off any loose sound protection on the outside and also coat with fiberglass and then spray in some bed liner. BTW: Dorman sells replacement panels that can welded it if you plan on keeping the vehicle for years to come.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are talking about the rear wheel well, that metal is so thin.
There is only surface rust that I can see. My main issue is: where can I jack up the rear to get at the right rear wheel well? I need to get the wheel and shock out of the way.

Where are the safe points to use a floor jack to lift the rear of the vehicle? And jackstand points to rest it? Can I put one under the big frame near the rear differential and one under the body somewhere near the right rear wheel?

I looked on here at the lifting and jacking thread but all the photos are old and gone.

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
I think, not having looked recently, that there is a point on the pinch weld forward of the rear tire where the factory jack would be used to raise the vehicle. I would use that point for a floor jack, placing a jack stand alongside as close as possible.
There may be some wider panels that are part of the reinforcement that make up the unibody that are further inboard. They would be rectangular and would be where the suspension mounts attach or nearby.
The basic point is to not use the floorboards as they will buckle and likely bend under the load. Most of the structural parts can handle the weight if you look for ones that form the reinforcement. The pinch weld area is used for roadside service and ease of access when a vehicle is down close to the ground due to tire problems. If you can reach further inboard, you will find several perches where you can provide lifting support.
tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts