Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

how to set timing on a 2001 escape 2.0?

8K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  01azescape 
#1 ·
hey, new guy here, i searched for this prior to posting but didn't find anything.

i just bought an '01 escape the other day that was nonrunning, well i pulled the timing cover because it sounded like it had no compression, and the timing belt is missing about 14 teeth...

question #1...is the '01 2.0 an interference motor? i have been told it is not.

#2 how do you set the timing at the crank to TDC and the cams to the proper position?

#2 ·
It took me about 10 hours to replace the belt on the Zetec. I caught the belt before it stripped some teeth. So, I was able to the job without pulling catalytic converter. You'll need to look on eBay for the Zetec timing tools - or - you can make your own.

The first link below show's a Zetec on a Focus - but it is essentially the same repair.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/show ... iming+belt

Two tools that above doesn't mention are an 18mm deep well socket and a KD 41530 Universal Pulley Holder. You will need the pulley holder to retighten the harmonic balance bolt when you are done. I made my own engine support out of beefy channel iron and some 2 x 4 ' s for the ends

Next up: diagrams from the Ford shop manual, the first of which shows the two timing tools. The images show the proper torque setting to use.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordg ... 013_A1.pdf

I replaced my water pump at the same time - but it isn't necessary.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/fordg ... 035_A2.pdf

Out of curiosity, how many miles does your trucklet have. I did mine at 126K and except for a wee bit of extra slack before disassembly, the belt looked fine.

#4 ·
can't believe i had to buy special tools to do a timing belt...thats just idiotic. $36 with shipping...and i'll probably never use them again :-/

this escape was a PPI (private property impound), someone left it...somewhere they shouldn't have, i'm guessing an apartment complex parking lot. i'm really hoping it just needs the timing belt, if it's more than that i might go a bit crazy. i have more time into cleaning the interior already (and it's only about 1/2 done), than i do in to tearing the motor apart for the timing belt replacement (it's ready for the new belt to go on, pending the arrival of the belt and tools) which only took about 30minutes total.

on a positive note i picked it up for $1150 total...now with the belt and tools ($20 for belt, $36 for tools), and with the need for a new windshield ($130 max installed), i should have under 1350 into it when it's done IF it's just the timing belt.

#5 ·
You must be quick with an air ratchet. - 30 minutes to get it to the point of upper, lower and middle timing belt covers, the last of which requires the removal of the motor mount on the passenger side fender well.

Did you check to see how jiggly the timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys are on their bearings?

Wait to you see where the pin for setting the crankshaft at TDC goes. There is bolt on the cast iron block located behind the catalytic converter. Since the old belt jumped timing, you will probably need to remove the cat from the exhaust manifold to gain access to it.

#6 ·
actually i do everything at home by hand, except for where there is enough space to use my cordless impact driver.

took about 30min. to pull the upper motor mount, valve cover, upper/lower timing covers, the metal mid section, serp. belt, and timing belt. the bearings feel pretty good on the timing belt side, and since i do not know if this vehicle even will run with the new timing belt...and it's hard to do much diagnosing unless you have a good timing belt on it...this is where i have to start. on a positive note i finished 99% of the interior cleaning, took about 2hrs though. pulled all the seats out and pressure washed/scrubbed them down, then took my kaivac to the carpet....went from nearly black/brown carpeting and seat bottoms to looking pretty nice i think. i'll post some pics of it in a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.