Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the forum. I am wondering how you know if an escape has loud tires or needs wheel bearings replaced. I have an 05 with Cooper Discover tires. I have read that Escapes are kind of loud and also that some tires are loud. Just wondering how to tell the difference since it drives just fine and how I woudl know if they need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hi and :welcome:

Have you had your Escape awhile or just recently acquired it? Funny, I had this same problem not too long ago!! My 05 Mariner sounded loud with the Continental tires it came with. I switched to Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds in 07 and it was much quieter. Within this last year, it seemed the tires were getting noisy again...kept getting louder and louder. My husband said I needed to get new tires then later said (after riding in my Mariner at a later date) my wheel bearings were probably going out. Took it to dealership and they said right wheel bearings needed to be replaced. Quoted a really high price so I called around and found an auto repair shop to replace both front wheel bearings for a really good price.
See my thread...

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5987&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

The noise my Mariner was making was like a constant low level whirring noise. The noise would be constant at speed but a quick change of lanes would give a brief interruption of noise.

I suggest you take in your Escape and have it looked at just so you know what you are dealing with.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just got it. I heard the sound when i test drove it and had a mechanic look it over. He said everything was good but the whiring sound could be the wheel bearings. With the price for it I thought it was still a good price and with a 112,000 you dont expect a new car. I was hopeing it would be the loud tires but I test drove an 06 and it was pretty quite but Liked this one overall and with the price figured I could afford the bearings. I see others post pics when I get time I will as well.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Which Cooper Discoverer your Escape has on?
Some of the Cooper tires, especially the all terrain and mud terrain ones make a lot of noise.
If the noise was not noticeable when you first bought the car then have it checked for failling bearing/s.
There is even a thread in the City on how to do the test yourself.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I think I was reading where you can jack up the car and there is movement back and from from the top to bottom it is the bearings if it from side to side it is something else.
I am just surprised that wheel bearings going out doesnt make your car drive really bad you know shaking etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and my tires are The Discoverer LSX* (60,000-mile warranty) is an S-rated premium SUV tire that provides enhanced wet traction and all-season performance for SUVs, crossovers, light trucks and some vans.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
volleybiggs said:
Yea I think I was reading where you can jack up the car and there is movement back and from from the top to bottom it is the bearings if it from side to side it is something else.
I am just surprised that wheel bearings going out doesnt make your car drive really bad you know shaking etc.
The hub and bearing seating on the Escape as in many other cars is such that if the bearing fails it has minimal effect in the driving as long as you stay in a straight line.
In your case it seems that one or more wheel bearings are the issue. You may continue to drive the vehicle without any safety compromises, but it is something you eventually shall have to deal with.The cost will not even spoil your weekend expences.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rotating the tires can sometimes help you determine a tire noise issue. Tires usually act up more when they're on the front of the vehicle. In my case, one of my front tires was ever so slightly cupped on the inner portion of the thread. The noise was accompanied by a slight shudder in the steering wheel. I moved the cupped tire to the rear, the noise was significantly reduced. The shudder in the steering wheel went away.

For a follow up test, I plan to put the spare on temporarily in place of the suspected tire to see if the noise goes away completely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the idea! I forgot about that. It does need to have the tires rotated. The front are cupping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts