Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! My name is Brian and I'm from Virginia. Some info about my current vehicle:

I currently drive a 1995 4 cylinder automatic Ford Ranger that gets about 24/25 mpg highway and 21/22 mpg city. The truck has always been great to me, but with 213,000 original miles I think it's time I start planning my next vehicle purchase just to be safe. That's why I'm here. I don't necessarily need the extra room of a small SUV, but when I heard the Escape gets 25 mpg highway it just made sense. I mean, you never know when you might need to haul a few friends around, right? ;)

So basically what I'm getting at is that I'd like to know what kind of real world gas mileage you folks are getting out of your Escapes. I have a certain model in mind though. The 4 cylinder automatic front-wheel drive version with the 2.3L engine (not the hybrid model). That's all I would need as mileage is my main concern and I know that particular Escape setup gets the best mileage outside of the hybrid model. I really want to stay out of the 18-19 mpg range. So if anyone here owns an Escape with that particular setup I'd love to hear what kind of mileage you're getting out of that baby. Thank you folks so much and I look forward to chatting with you guys soon. :)

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Hay MPG, welcome to the city.... :yahoo:

I'm curious why you do not want the Hybrid if MPG is what you are looking for?

I can tell that MPG with the escape can vary a fair amount and I think it depends allot on your driving habits and environment.

I'm sure a few other will tap in here soon,

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
There are several hybrid owners here that LOVE their Escapes. Of course you can't go wrong with the 4 cylinder either. Either way you end up with a great vehicle.

Glad you decided to join us!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Howdy from Texas!
Enjoy your stay here! :beer:

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
Make yourself at home MPG! Either a hybrid or a regular 4 cylinder will get you good gas mileage. The hybrid even more so of course, but either way you'll be doing good. :beer:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
If you're looking at only FWD with the 2.3, you should get better than 18-19MPG, especially with a manual. Our 2.3 Fusion is now getting just under 25MPG in mainly city and suburban driving.

Welcome to the City, Brian!

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
Welcome, Brian! I would think with the set-up you describe 25mpg would be easily attainable. I have a 6 4X4 and get 18-23 mpg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. My main reason for not wanting a hybrid model basically comes down to the price tag. In my area, used '06 and '07 four banger Escapes with less than 10,000 miles sell for around $12000-$13000. I've always been a huge fan of buying newer used vehicles anyway especially ones with next to no mileage as you just save boo-koo bucks in the long run.

MadMax said:
Welcome, Brian! I would think with the set-up you describe 25mpg would be easily attainable. I have a 6 4X4 and get 18-23 mpg.
MadMax, if you can get that kind of mileage out of a 6 cyl 4X4 Escape then I know I could achieve 24/25 out of an automatic 2WD 4 cyl model. I treat all of my vehicles with care and never use a lead foot. As a matter of fact, my Ranger has never even seen 65 MPH. I can't stand to dog a vehicle, you know? Anyway, thanks for the inspiration. :)

I'd love to hear more opinions on the 4 cyl automatic 2WD version of the Escape so keep them coming if you folks don't mind. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts