Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Nice!!! How much are Lotto tickets there?

:D

Why do the Aussie car companies always look like they're actually having fun?

I realize that this car is being imported into the US and rebadged as a Pontiac G8, but why did the US automakers lose interest in producing cars like this on our side of world?

:cuss:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Liability Laws and being sued so many times by Nanny Groups. We are all to dumb to know that your not allowed to drive like that on a public thoroughfare... :rant:

Didn't you ever notice that in commercials with cars being driven on curved roads and road courses always have the disclaimer: "Professional Driver on Closed Course". That in itself explains a multitude... :wall: :cuss:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Very nice. :yahoo:

Here's the U.K version, the Vauxhall VXR8, but it tops out with the 6.0 engine. I would love the 7.0 to make it to these shores!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think it's awesome that the English and Aussie cars are coming to the US and Canada...including the 2009 Focus RS..... :drool:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
And for those outside the US. Here is the US version (Pontiac G8):

I saw my 1st one on the streets a few days ago. It looks good. I can't wait to get behind a V8 version and listen to that motor. I still really enjoy the sound of the last GTO. I see quite a few around here so I'm hoping to see (and hear) a bunch of G8's too. :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
A lot of the North American Auto Makers vehicles are aimed at kicking Euro and Asian cars butts as of late...

Pontiac Solstice GXP...runs laps around the Porsche Boxter all day long, for less money, The G8 GT will outperform the 3-series BMW's for less, and the automotive journalists are just salivating to put the G8 GXP when it comes out against the 5-series BMW and Mercedes as well. And when it comes to the Cadillac CTS-V (The new one), it's apparently an absolute sledgehammer...pure power, and bags of grip too.

When Ford Unleashes (FINALLY FOR FRICK SAKE!!!) the MK2 Focus on North America, the RS will be able to blow the doors off any Civic or Corolla availble. They are also planning to release the Fiesta, which will outperform the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris.

I thank the folks in Australia, NZ, and the UK for having such brilliant vehicles, and for letting us finally get a taste of them here in North America, Especially in Canada.

L8tz

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rumours have started again that the Aussie Commodore may be exported to the US

Carsguide has reported that:
" it was the rumour mill grinding out reports that Chevrolet will take the Holden Commodore into the US and rebadge it as Chevelle. The man pushing the police deal and who is fostering the restart of Commodore shipments to the US is former Holden boss Mark Reuss, now the president of GM North America. Reuss was Holden's chief in 2008 and 2009 when the G8 program was running. He is completely aware of the program's potential and recognises that all the hard work has been done on Commodore to meet US vehicle design regulations. If successful, it could lead to export programs for the ute and wagon - both of which were poised in 2009 to make the ocean voyage as left-drive Pontiacs but made stillborn by GM's bankruptcy."

So the Commodore may revive another old model name.

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
RobtRoma said:
And for those outside the US. Here is the US version (Pontiac G8):

I saw my 1st one on the streets a few days ago. It looks good. I can't wait to get behind a V8 version and listen to that motor. I still really enjoy the sound of the last GTO. I see quite a few around here so I'm hoping to see (and hear) a bunch of G8's too. :)
I was going through Youtube looking for Mustang clips and I cane upon the following video. It's a race between a stock 2011 Mustang GT and a tuned Taurus SHO. The chase car in the race is a Pontiac G8. Around the 56 second mark, you get to hear the cars as they go by the camera. The G8 sounds like a race car as it goes by and for the most part keeps up with the other 2. I figure it's got a few mods on it but it's still pretty amazing...

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
Cool! It should be fairly easy to pull off. The development for the G8 ute was basically complete when they pulled the plug on Pontiac. I hope they do bring some of the Holden products here for mass consumption and not just for law enforcement...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts