Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i was talking about my 2008 FEH with my dad and he was interested in how the electric motor is connected to the ICE. Is there a type of clutch that can disengage, or how is the resistance from the ICE overcome during electric only if the motors are always engaged?

Thanks for entertaining our curiosity

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As i dig into this i am finding that there is a planetary gear "power split device" that allows the electric drive to work without resistance from the engine

·
Premium Member
2020 Ttanium Hybrid/2009 Limited Hybrid/1978 F-250 Custom
539 Posts
Hi i was talking about my 2008 FEH with my dad and he was interested in how the electric motor is connected to the ICE. Is there a type of clutch that can disengage, or how is the resistance from the ICE overcome during electric only if the motors are always engaged?

Thanks for entertaining our curiosity
From what I understand, it is all in the CVT. I was personally blown away that the car uses the transmission as the starter.
ford's hybrid Drive train is patented, so you should be able to look up the patent, but there is not a lot of information about how their combined system has both electric and gas motors constantly engaged.

I googled it a few years ago, there are some pretty good articles out there, but none of them really talk about the intricacies of the CVT.

Reactions: FP530
1 - 5 of 5 Posts