Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since most full hybrids are running on electric power only at low speeds, and since that power is basically silent (other than tire noise and a very faint whine), has this ever caused a problem with pedestrians unable to hear a car approaching?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've never had a serious problem when running in "stealth" mode.

Yes, you do have to pay a bit more attention to pedestrians (and hopefully they are also paying attention to their surroundings). It's most noticeable when driving through parking lots, where people do seem to rely more on their hearing than their sight while criss-crossing the drive aisle with packages to get to their vehicles.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Over here we've had 'milk floats' for the last 40 odd years (Small electric 'buggy' that the milkman uses for daily doorstep deliveries). Admittedly they are slow, but i don't recall anyone ever being hit by one. (perhaps the perpetual 'ting ting ting' of the bottles knocking against each other acts like a warning bell) :smile:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I live in a very low traffic residential neighborhood (mostly dead end streets)& there are always people out walking.

I get a kick out of getting my truck into "stealth mode" (gas engine is shut off) & then sneaking right up behind a neighbor out walking (one that I'm friends with) & tapping the horn .... :wink:

My next door neighbor (who is cool as hell) threatened to kill me the next time I got her with that trick.............

~John

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:hyst: :clap:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big Chris said:
Over here we've had 'milk floats' for the last 40 odd years (Small electric 'buggy' that the milkman uses for daily doorstep deliveries). Admittedly they are slow, but i don't recall anyone ever being hit by one. (perhaps the perpetual 'ting ting ting' of the bottles knocking against each other acts like a warning bell) :smile:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That's it! :clap:

Quite nostalgic really as you don't see them around much any more as most people tend to get their milk from the shops nowadays. That particular float is on an 'R' plate, meaning it was registered back in '76.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Monty Python's "Psychiatrist" sketch used one like that!

·
Super Moderator
4,736 Posts
I've had more then a few people walk out in front of me. What I like is when you drive by someone in the parking lot and they are staring at you because the Escape is soo quite.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In the peoples republic of california, lawmakers are pushing for hybrid noise level guidelines. because Blind pedestrians are "At risk".

Now what? Hybrids with open headers? :bill:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Big Chris said:
Hi, BigChris, we still have these in Leeds, indeed our local council runs them as general servicing vehicles, they even have an artic version!!! :shock2:
Do you remember the blue single seater "disabled" cars that seemed to be everywhere back in the 1970's?
They were lethal! :censor: :shock2: :cuss:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
camusdarrach said:
Big Chris said:
Do you remember the blue single seater "disabled" cars that seemed to be everywhere back in the 1970's?
I certainly do, funny little things weren't they!

It's very un-pc, but everyone knew and referred to them as 'Spaz-chariots' at the time. You wouldn't get away with that these days!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Big Chris said:
camusdarrach said:
Big Chris said:
I certainly do, funny little things weren't they!

It's very un-pc, but everyone knew and referred to them as 'Spaz-chariots' at the time. You wouldn't get away with that these days!
HA HA HA :hyst: , but I agree, the P.C. brigade would have a field day now with that remark, At least with those cars, you could spot them a mile off, and thereby take preventative measures! :))
What about the "ultimate" electric car, the Sinclair C5 :shock2: :stop: , A friend of mine had 3 of the [email protected]$%*y things, has to rank as the worst machine I have ever driven on the road :shock2: :stop: :doh:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Who knows, he still has one in mint and boxed condition :yahoo:
Out of curiosity, do you post after a night out at a pub :beer: , as you appear to post in the early hours of the morning? ;) ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,901 Posts
You can post anytime you want. If you sound like you're half in the bag we'll probably tease you. :tease:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I posted right after a night out at the pubs, I'd be sentenced to life at the Dyslexia Institute.

:/:/

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
jpark said:
If I posted right after a night out at the pubs, I'd be sentenced to life at the Dyslexia Institute.

:/:/
I would pay to read that! LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At least no pedestrians would be harmed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Only our eyes Jpark. And all sense of Reality. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts