Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
True!

It's been a couple of years since they bought out the Kia stockholders. South Korean gov't still owns a large part of the corporation, but they also own part of Hyundia. :angel:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Couple of years? I thought Hyundai has owned KIA since the 50s or 60s when KIA went bankrupt.

Hyundai brought the KIA brand to North America to take over for what Hyundai used to be (budget economy car) and that's when they really started working on Hyundai's build quality and reputation. Now I hear that KIA may be spun into Hyundai's performance branch sometime in the future.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
Couple of years? I thought Hyundai has owned KIA since the 50s or 60s when KIA went bankrupt.

Hyundai brought the KIA brand to North America to take over for what Hyundai used to be (budget economy car) and that's when they really started working on Hyundai's build quality and reputation. Now I hear that KIA may be spun into Hyundai's performance branch sometime in the future.
Not quite, they owned part, but not all of KIA. KIA went into bankruptcy in the recent past few years, and Ford actually looked into buying the facilities and manufacturing. I think the debt load was way more than the asset value, so in anycase, Ford took a pass. Renualt or Peugeot also looked at KIA, and they too took a pass on them. Eventually the gov't prevailed and inticed Hyundia to take over operations and the gov't took over the debt. I have no idea what Wiki says about this. Maybe I'll look in a little while. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Wiki says Hyundai outbid Ford in 1998 to take over the bankrupt KIA, gaining a 51% interest. Recently they've sold off a lot of it and only own 38.67%.

I wonder if this affects Hyundai's plan for KIA now that they're a minority owner. No more KIA roadster?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I dunno, it would seem the big picture has changed for all the automotive players.

I would think that given the current situation where KIA can only sell a vehicle if it's deeply discounted as a sign that their days maybe numbered. As for Hyundia, I think they were getting ready to be in a position of power and take over Chrysler. Now it's Fiats turn. Fix It Again Tony!

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I'd love to see some Fiats and Alfa Romeos here. Too bad Chrysler is being denied access to Ferrari - we could have had a spiffy new Challenger. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Squishy said:
I'd love to see some Fiats and Alfa Romeos here. Too bad Chrysler is being denied access to Ferrari - we could have had a spiffy new Challenger. :lol:
Or one very nice Viper!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What happened to " DAE WOO ?. :drool: :lol:

Never got, to see a lot of them being driven.

Even though, they were sensibly priced.

* *******_____________*************

I am not overly familiar with DAEWOO.

Asked my mechanic about them, and he had quite a chuckle. :lol: ;)

Then he explained the history. Anyway i shall remain diplomatic. ;) ;) ;) :roll: :shrug:

_____#########

I apologise if offence is taken. Just having a stir. No harm is meant by it.

Now i remember. The service tech explained that "HOLDEN", had some type of dealings with 'DAEWOO.'

But then ,i have never been partial to ' HOLDEN '. So them interacting with DAEWOO does not surprise me.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jonas1022 said:
I dunno, it would seem the big picture has changed for all the automotive players.

I would think that given the current situation where KIA can only sell a vehicle if it's deeply discounted as a sign that their days maybe numbered. As for Hyundia, I think they were getting ready to be in a position of power and take over Chrysler. Now it's Fiats turn. Fix It Again Tony!
Fascinating. So before the italian firm, you might almost of had a Korean Chrysler firm, if Hyundai would have scored it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
stone said:
What happened to " DAE WOO ?. :drool: :lol:
Were you ever at a US Suzuki dealer about 4-5 years ago? I believe the ill-failed Forenza, Reno, and Verona were all Daewoo-based. I actually drove a Forenza, and considered buying one. I'm so glad I didn't. I was leary of their origin.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
latan said:
Hi Stone,

The new Holden Cruze is built in Korea. So I suppose that would be from the old Daewoo factories.

And have you seen the current Hyundai iLoad tv ad.
Not as yet Latan. But thanks for that video link.

I went to the Holden new zealand site Latan. My apology , in advance if any holden devotees are offended.

These are my thoughts on that " Cruze" .

It confuses me. I do not regard it as ugly.

The shape is reasonable, but just does not grab my view of aesthetics.

"Who are holden trying to copy?." The rear style looks similar to, a certain toyota sedan.

That side profile, is not very original.

There are other , manufacturers that have a similar shape

######***************

As regards the front end, they want it to be recognised as a holden.

I can accept that, plus it is noticeable.

This sounds odd, but i regard it as a smaller commodore. :lol:

To me it looks like a medium sized commodore, but obviously with a new shape.

But i only see that from the front perspective.

#####

The side profile design, plus the rear puzzle me.

Once again, " Who is holden trying to copy? "

Just can not see much originality, in the side and rear styles.

________________**************

Correct me if i am wrong, but here is my analysis.

The new Holden " Cruze", from my perspective, is a Korean medium size " Commodore "

Well you mentioned it's built in Korea.

Ladies and Gentlemen. Presenting the medium size " Korean Holden Commodore " with model designation of ' CRUZE'.

What are your thoughts on it Latan?

Not being , too way off base am i ?

##

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
GM owns Daewoo. You might have the Chevy Aveo down under; at least it's available in the UK. That's based on a Daewoo. Haven't seen any Daewoo-branded vehicles here for a while.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
I'm not for certain, but I beleive a couple of the Suzuki cars here are Daewoo built. Non of them are noted for being reliable nor well built. :(

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi think the Cruze is more in the Toyota Corolla market then being a medium Commodore.

The Holden Epica would be the medium Commodore. I expect the the Epica is made in Korea as well. I cannot see the market for this car - it is only stealing sales off the Commodore and I'm sure most people who are going to buy a 6 cylinder Holden family car would pick the Commodore over an Epica.I wonder how many buyers go the the dealer to look at an Epica but then buy a Commodore.

I don't think the "made in Korea" tag has the stigma that it used to - Hyundai are ranked number 5 in the Australian new car sales for June.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Im keeping my escape. the dealership pissed me off so they lost a sale. (thats the shortened version)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello CrashnBurn! EH? I thought you traded it in.

Sorry to hear, about your dealership hassle.

__*________________

I go to a different mechanic these days.

Have been with him, for about a year now.

Ever since my original dealer, refused to supply a loan car, they lost me as a customer.

My brother went there for some parts one day.
______________________________*_________

I tagged along ,only to have a sticky beak.

They don't appreciate me , going to an opposition mechanic. :lol:

The staff were abrupt with me, and openly showed their dissapointed attitude. :whistle: :roll: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
I think that's the biggest problem nowadays with Hyundai. The quality and performance is all fairly competitive, but many dealerships are still left over from the days of the "shady" Hyundai where anything would be done to make a sale and customer satisfaction wasn't a concern.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts