Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is starting to happen more and more lately. My car will start to mis-fire a couple of times and then the instrument cluster will do the start up self check thing where all of the needles go all the way to the other side and back and then go to where they should be. (Keep in mind, this is all when I am driving.) and after that it will stop mis-firing and keep going. It doesnt do this just once, last night I was driving and it did it twice in a row. I dont notice any thing else losing power, non of the lights dim, my radio dosent stop, my ipod radio transmitter thing never notices a difference.

I need some help with this one. My first thought is that the battery cables might be F'd, but has anyone else gone through this and might know?!?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Like I always say....if all else fails REBOOT!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Have you checked all of the fuses, even those under the hood?

If the gauges are self-checking every time, maybe there's at least one "hot at all times" circuit that's not working.

Can your dealer check for error codes?

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Can't Autozone check for those codes for free?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Do you have an engine light on? What is the code. A true mis-fire should throw a code. The PMC could even have a code and no light so you might want to check anyway.

I have noticed that the PMC is effected by even a sight drop in system voltage, the mis-fire and gauge readings are both managed of the PMC.

Is there anything in the event or just before the event that is common.
like:

Just washed the engine
Just rained
Just went off roading
Just turned on the A/C or other load causing item
Just installed a Huge aftermarket subwoofer and no CAP to cover the big spikes
Just spilled a beer on the dash board...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Autozone can no longer lend out tools as they got in a legal debate with Pep boys over it.

Also, there are no check engine lights coming on. The only thing that seems to connect it all together is it happens when the engine is under light load. Like if I am going up a small but long/steady hill. It will just start missing and then it does the self check and then it stops. I will try checking all fuses and junction boxes for any loose anything and If I cant find anything then I will have to take the $100 hit and have Ford diagnose it for me.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Part-throttle stumble says "DPFE valve" to me. That happened on my Explorer, although that threw a code.

With the catalyst problems you had a few months back, the DPFE valve may have become damaged or clogged.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jpark said:
Part-throttle stumble says "DPFE valve" to me. That happened on my Explorer, although that threw a code.

With the catalyst problems you had a few months back, the DPFE valve may have become damaged or clogged.
Already replaced it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gameface said:
My wife has a 2003 escape with same problem. Did u fix yours or find the cause of this ????? Dave
Love to help ya mate, but I never found the problem. It kept doing it till the day I sold it. Is yours missfiring also or just the gauge self check?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It feels as though it's misfiring immediately prior to the gauges going nuts but no CEL comes on. I had a misfire in cyclinder 5 about 30,000 miles ago and replaced a bad coil, but the CEL came on then. Damn I was hoping you had the answer before I start changing electrical parts (Alternator/battery/ etc). There has to be somebody out there with this same problem who has the answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like what my 02 tribute was doing. It went away after the coils (rear) were replaced when a code came up for it (a couple of months after the problem started).

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had a Chrysler 300M that pretty much did the same thing. After alot of headache & trying/ replacing different things I finally found the culprit, and believe me, it'll make your car do some strange things... The ground from the battery was extremely corroded at the block.

·
Registered
4 Posts
be careful in how long you let the car do its "self-check". mine did the same thing and then the computer blew out, also with no codes or dummy lights on, luckily i was able to find one on ebay for $30 compared to the dealers rediculous price of almost $800. but i guess i never found the root of the problem because its still doing it, just not as much. but i will check the ground to the block, thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts