Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very first computer was Mac LC II. It had windows when PC had DOS. I loved it. It was so far ahead of the PC at that time...

...20 years later i have had it with Bill Gates and the ever present non-production I get with the PC.

So I now have a MacBook Pro. It has only taken a few hours to see the good points and the bad points. The biggest issues I see are moving from OUTLOOK to Mac Mail and accessing my ACESS data bases at work. But they have a neat little program that allows you to run Windows like a program and load whatever you had before. Funny though if I do this then I have to run an antivirus JUST FOR THE WINDOWS SIDE, not for the MAC. Makes my decision that must more enjoyable.

I know there are allot of PC fans here. I only used a PC because that was the software all my companies have had. Not a good enough reason anymore.

Thought I'd share and vent a little. Might be a big stress reliever. We'll see, right? :cigar:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I'm not far behind ya. Bought my12 yr old daughter a MacBook, and she absolutely loves it, and keeps telling me that I need to get one. I'm just waiting for this laptop of mine to crap out. I've had it as well with the whole windows mess. They put out products that are at best half way done, full of bugs, etc.. and the public ends up fixing them. Sooooo... hopefully this thing will just roll over and call it a day. I've also learned that with PC you had better keep an external back up drive. I think that 2 TB was enough for three computers.

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
Congrats on your Mac Surfy!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. :fire:

Just kidding. Congrats on the new Mac, I may not be a fan of Apple but I am a fan of new electronics smell. :yahoo:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today was my first day of business through the MAC and it was interesting.

I spent the day finding several issues that I had to overcome to merge into the MS world.

Files sent from Outlook with attachments could not be read. I needed to download a converter. Once in it worked fine but it is obvious I have a few weeks of learning and adding to the system to be "accepted" into the biased business world. But all in all it went good. I started the day on the MAC and ended the day on the old laptop just to keep up with customer demands. BUT I already see the potential I just need to time to load a few tools to make it smooth.

Biggest issue today was getting used to e-mail. Still trying to figure out how to get the e-mail program to clear my mail server. Seems it does not clear unless you archive the mails but I'm not sure yet.

Any MAC users out there that have traveled this path yet?

So anyway.... day one still happy, no big concerns, no regrets.

Thanks for the notes

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Pete,

I run a Windows Server 2003 domain, and one Mac uses Entourage for e-mail right off of our Exchange server. Our Mac expert did all the work, so I don't really know what he did, but here's a site that helps with Entourage, if you want to look into it:

http://www.macwindows.com/entourage.html

Oh, and I'll second the seductive smell of new electronics.

:D :thumb:

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you just got the macbook pro, I'd assume that it is running OS X 10.6 .. if so, this version has the new mail program that has exchange support built in. In mail, if you click on "Mail" at the top left, to the right of the Apple logo, click "preferences" (or simply hit command + , .... command is the button to the right and left of the space bar, plus the comma key will get you there). Once in preferences, click on accounts (has blue @ symbol icon). Click your work account, then click on "mailbox behaviors". Down at the bottom is trash, and you can control what mail makes the server do with trash, or junk, sent, etc. Hope that helps.

And welcome to mac! I have an apple sticker on the driver side of my mariner, and got a black one tattooed on the passenger side of my back LOL. Sounds goofy, but it actually looks really nice. I get several comments on it LOL

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Your back has a passenger side?

:bill:

·
Administrator
2015 Ford F-450 DRW
20,599 Posts
timothyjay2004 said:
And welcome to mac! I have an apple sticker on the driver side of my mariner, and got a black one tattooed on the passenger side of my back LOL. Sounds goofy, but it actually looks really nice. I get several comments on it LOL
We want pics. :pics:

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WooooHooooo :woohoo:

Loaded Parallels today and now I run Windows XP and Office and Outlook all on a window like a program. It is much faster than on the PC too. I guess because it is not running all the behind the scenes stuff, just the programs I want. TOO COOL and I can bounce back and forth. It runs just like windows with server access, it sees my DVD drive, etc etc.

OK, I'm liking this more and more. Now 99% of my concerns about the swap are gone.

As far as the Apple logo on you "passenger side", you're right (goofy :)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Recent history is that I am cussing my PC at home and at work. It's looking more and more like I need to transition, but I haven't bought into the PC/MS issue totally. I'm looking at Ubuntu as a short term relief. I have run some Linux on the home box, but it has it's own set of problems. Maybe Firefox? Is that the name, I forget...but I think I'll find out!

·
Registered
920 Posts

When I said passenger side, it was meant to be funny as it was in relation to how the mariner has it on the left and i have it on the right, thats actually why I got it tattooed on that side. It wasn't meant for the... other meaning lol. But, heres what it looks like.

Surfscape, also, you can, if you want, install Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 through bootcamp (located in Applications>Utilities) and can boot into and run windows natively should you want to. If you do that, to boot into windows, you, with macbook off, hit the power button and then hold down the option key until presented with all bootable drives. Then click on which you want to boot into and it will.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts