Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...everything else fixed in one fell swoop on the escape last weekend.

I got rid of it. :lol:

Unfortunately the escape was the only Ford I have ever had with so many issues with for its age, and I have owned many over the years, including an F150 I still have. Only real significant issue was the transmission which was the deal breaker. The way the transmission behaved, I wouldnt trust it for a significant road trip, and just to show how trusting I usually am with that stuff, my highest mileage Ford I have had yet was an 88 Bronco2 that I held onto for 301k mi before selling, and even drove it half way across the country and back at 290k with no apprehension at all. I wouldnt have trusted the new escape to do that. Except for the super loud sync voice which is a software issue, the rest was all minor stuff like excessive wind noise and things like that...things you wouldnt raise an eyebrow about on an old vehicle but are pretty unacceptable for a brand new vehicle.

Anyhow, I was trying to hold out untill the new Focus came out at least, but didnt happen. I've also been reading a lot about VW's since they brought the diesels back to our side of the pond. Having had many similar rental cars in europe and knowing how fun they are to drive, I've always missed not having similar cars to drive at home. Between that and the direction VW is going trying to become cheaper and more americanized latley, I really started considering one before the german is gone out of them. Finally drove one and was pretty much instantly sold as it was just like zipping around europe again in the rentals I have had over there. So now I traded the escape due to all it's issues for one of the most unreliable brands available in the US :lol: . Part of the reason I bit was I spent A LONG time reading the various boards trying to find a laundry list of common problems, but there were no significant ones, and by now plenty of people having racked up high miles with no major issues on the latest generation. I hated to get rid of the escape after only 2yrs, but I ended up picking up a 2011 Golf TDI. Despite that, I am very happy I did that. Almost 1k mi put on it already, and so far everything is perfect. Hopefully it stays that way and doesnt end up in the shop more then on the road like some VW's. So long escape!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
hmmm... Sounds like a lemon. I have never had any significant issues at all. Only two recalls and one was only for inspection. I never broke down. And have never had any complaints with the tranny other than I wish I had a 6 speed. Anyway I hope you have good luck with your VW Golf. I have driven them and they are fun. The only downfall with VW is that the suspensions usually go ka-puts after about 30k. My sisters golf started to fall apart at 30k first it was the suspension then the door panels, and then the steering components. You will probabbly have better luck since her's was a generation back from the current one. I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
sorry you got a lemon...

good luck with you wv normally well rated... except for a lemon i got from them back inearly 90's

a beautyful 91 golf diesel... got rid of it 3 years after... after a ton of problem and the worst of them, the engine that need 6000$ worth of repairs... so i got cash from a junkyard as they want most of the body that was good (normal,,, 3 years old) never never got any vw after that...

imagine! a non accidented 3 years old car in a junkyard...

when you have personal bad experience with a products you rarely come back to it...

each brand has their lemon

·
Registered
294 Posts
When life gives you lemons...just
trade them in!
Sorry u got a lemon. but it happens, what year was yours anyway?

I have never had any very serious problems with my escape and neither have its previous owners, their only complaint was the noise (wind, tire) but I like the engine noise lol. The only issue I had was a leaking AC compressor which got replaced under warranty.
Enjoy ur VW golf.

·
Registered
467 Posts
by the way... i just traded in my 2010 escape sap for a..... 2011 sap escape... steel blue sap...
can't wait to see it :drool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know where you're coming from.

Excessive wind noise
Tranny that shifts like crap/holds in gear too long
Sync overall is good but it has it quirks
clunk in the front end
4wd tranny "hoot"

Considering trading it in very soon on a Infiniti G37S coupe (back to my usual sporty cars) I like Ford too (used to drive a Mustang GT that was done up with all Roush stage 3 stuff)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts