Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner

I love my Escape

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  stone 
#1 ·
Tonight was amaizing. First, my friends and I were off roading (again) and we came across this Toyota Tacoma that looked like it was parked in a weird spot...then as we got closer we noticed that the whole front end was done into a ravine and had only one tire touching the regular road. I pull up along side them and ask if they need help and they said yes. So I got backed up behind them and popped the rear hatch and one guy looks at me and asks if I had a tow rope and I just grabbed it out from the back and told him to hook one side up to the trailer hitch on his truck. I put it on mine and then made them take the boulders that they had thrown in the back of the truck to try and wheigh the back of it down so they could get out by themselves. So I just got in and started pulling and was having a little trouble with traction but was pulling only to have them yell "Stop!" I asked them why just to get a response of "did you want him to put it in reverse??" .....WTF?!...."ummm YEAH!" So I got them out and asked them what happened and the driver said "I was just fucking around trying to scare them...I guess I did." He said thanks and then drove away. Whilist he was driving away I noticed it could only be his dad's or his grandpa's truck because it said "veteran" on the plates and he looked to only be in highschool.

THEN, as I was leaving I saw a some what lifted large tired Cherokee playing in a spot I like to play...sooo...I decided to just hard charge it through the area since I have gone through it a million times before just to get a GIANT WTF?! face from all 4 guys in the Jeep because they were going over it all slow checking to see if they could do it or not. I lol'ed hard after just going through like it was nothing and drove off.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hahah damnn I wish I had spots around here to offroad.. you have NOO idea.

#9 ·
jhande08 said:
Not in those rims, I hope...
Hahah noo I meant for the six months I don't have them on. I don't think I'd get very far in the mud with these tires lol.

#11 ·
Hi 02escape. I explored some more , " Dry weather road only" unsealed tracks in the barossa valley wine region. Bloody heck! They are all over the place. It was not a challenge and was done more as fun. Because there have been only very light showers, the challenge was non existent. We actually need a decent downpour of rain to produce mud.

I could use a road map but could not be bothered. My radio tech mate installed a ' Terminal block' ,under the dashboard as a future power connection for the garmin quest. Have not used the Quest for quite a while. Anyway not paranoid about being lost. No problems because i use my inner instinct for a sense of bearings. Used to be in a scout group for a few months as a teenager. The scout leader taught us how to navigate by using the constellation, as a reference in the event that no map is at hand.

Can remember someone asking how you manage to find these roads. I use your technique and just keep driving, until eventually they are found at random. It is just a matter of being willing to cover a large distance. I don't regard it as knowing where to look. It is more like being patient and take it as it comes. They are predominantly signposted as yellow and black signs. Only found one sign post indicated as " Summer Track" in black text on a white background.

Came across some warning signs in yellow and black with the text of " Boggy when wet" These sign posts induce quite a laugh. Anyway all the unsealed roads vary in their surfaces. Clay soils and then it will change to brown or red soil. The black soil seems to be the most challenging and fun. If we experience enough rain in winter, a friend advised me to judge the ground. Can respect that my all terrain tyres will have their limits even in mud. But at the present moment the Cooper atr tyres, have proven their competence offroad. I have done most of the exploring with my 4x4 mode off.

It was done intentionally. I just love that tread pattern. The grip is amazing. Can appreciate that they are possibly not an ideal mud tyre, but my cooper all terrains are definitely an important link. Have been on these unsealed roads with my previous Bridgestone dueler HT, and the highway terrains were obviously struggling to perform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.