Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have decided that ive grown tired of my escape and have debated something new. a vehicle no one has driven but me lol.

im currently looking at the KIA rondo and Sportage.

http://www.kia.ca/cars/details/rondo

http://www.kia.ca/cars/details/sportage

thought i would throw this up here for public discussion. my wife and i are going to take each one for a test drive on tuesday. i like the rondo but im not sure cause its a car. but it has 7 seats, and can still tow 2000lbs. the 2000lbs is the smallest i would go for towing.
im thinking of getting one in black, and then tinting the windows. the only problem ive seen so far is that we went and look and the dealer here only have a bunch of 4bangers. and i want the V6, so we shall see lol.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Hello CrashNburn. I have anticipated ,there will be mixed views on the forum. Anyway, it is all about personal preferences. Whatever makes you happy, and including your wife. Is the later model escape a viable option?. For example the new model Colleen has. :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was looking at that, and compared to the sportage the escape cost more for less options.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the warranty will take it to full payment terms. and 2 guys i know own kias, and the only problem is one guy had to change the alternator on his.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
What are your thoughts on MAZDA?. The mazda 6 or the CX7. Or possibly the new tribute? :) At the moment for down under, i am observing lots of Mazda 6 and 3 models being driven. Not sure about overseas, but there was a TV advert. For the aussie market MAZDA will be releasing, a diesel version of the MAZDA 6 model.

My escape has a mazda engine in it. I thought it would have some variation. The mechanic popped open the bonnet of a Mazda3. He took of, the fancy looking plastic cover for manifold. He said " Look. You have exactly the same engine in your escape. So now i know why my fuel economy is acceptable. Also why the engine ticks over, like a finely tuned swiss watch.

I chat about a lot, of different car manufacturers with my mechanic. Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, Renault, Peugot, Kia. I trust his opinions. He has been in the trade, for almost thirty years. I hope it is not offending, but Pollkat and Brent, seem to be familiar with Kia. Also i can see what Pollkat is getting at. My service tech is very wary of Kia , Daewoo and Hyundai. He mentioned they are prone to certain issues.

In his view, Honda , Mazda and Toyota have a fairly good reputation. For me the toyota car designs are not very inspiring, but they are mechanically acceptable. I am not overly familiar with Peugot and Renault. The mechanic explained that over in France, the renault and peugot, would be like our australian Holdens and Fords.

I just have my reasons for being dubious, about Korean manufacturing and quality control. But once again, it has to be what makes your wife and you happy. Just an opinion, but i would check out what the opposition has to offer.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will stick around LoL, and ive actually decided that im going to test drive the sedona minivan, and the rondo. i will report back later lol.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I drove a minivan (Ford Aerostar) when our kids were younger and they are actually very practical. We did alot of camping and the van held the four of us plus half the house with no problem. :lol:

Also came in handy shuffling kids to and from school, to baseball practice (our son and sometimes his friends as well), volleyball and band practice (our daughter), etc. Seems like I was always running them and their friends somwhere. Believe it or not, I very much miss those days. :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,541 Posts
My brother and my sister have nearly identical Kia Sadona minivans. I like the look and quality of the interiors and they ride nice. No power but they get you to where you want to go. My brother has had no major problems with his but my sister has had all sorts of issues (moon roof broke, sliding doors wouldn't open, suspension issues, drive train issues, rust, etc). I guess like any brand it's the luck of the draw... She's also is having issues getting things fixed because the dealer in PA she used to go to stopped selling them and refused to work on them once they closed the franchise. I personally am not a big fan of Kia. I like the American brands and will continue to support them.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
My friend has has a Kia (Optima) for 4 years and has no problems, I think Kia/ Hyundai has fixed their quality concerns from the 90s (not to mention that warranty!)

I always thought the Rondo to be an interesting looking car, please tell us how you like it when you drive it. Have you see a Mazda 5? Similar setup to a Rondo, a little snappier looking I think, but no idea on how it compares in price (I imagine it's more). I actually like the Kia Soul, it has alot of class for an entry level car, but I assume it's too small.

Good luck on your shopping, keep us informed.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Between the 2, I'd pick the Sedona. The Rondo does get pretty good reviews, but I think it would be low in power once it's loaded with people &/or luggage. The 3.8 in the Sedona should be adequate. I'd pick a Mazda 5 before Rondo, or maybe Venza? Taurus X?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the rondo was really nice drove great and had lots of great options, but..

i bought the sedona, i like the idea of have 250hp and 3500lbs of towing, and still have a crap load of interior space. i pic up the new van on friday. the one i wanted didnt have cruise so they are installing it for me. i will post up some pics when i get it.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
CrashNburn said:

i bought the sedona, i like the idea of have 250hp and 3500lbs of towing, and still have a crap load of interior space. i pic up the new van on friday. the one i wanted didnt have cruise so they are installing it for me. i will post up some pics when i get it.
Congrats !! :beer:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
CrashNburn said:

Wow that was fast!
Congrats on your new vehicle! :beer: And yeah, you BETTER stick around here!!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i looked this morning at the local dealer, and wasn't 100% happy with the price, so i called a dealer in Ottawa (there are 3 there and 8000x more people lol), and they said they would guarantee that they can beat the price i got here, and they did, by $9000. (including the trade). the first dealer commented on how great my escape looked and were surprised about the condition, then offered me 5000 for trade (kelly blue book is like 5-7000ish). i said give me 6 and i would think about it, but they didn't want to budge. well. with the trade in and the discounts i saved 14,000 off the new van. only thing i didn't get was a trailer hitch, but hey why spend 500bucks (and pay interest on it) when i can spend 250, and install it myself LoL. tomorrow morning im going to see if i can get an appointment to get the front 2 windows tinted on saturday, and im ordering a hitch so hopefully that can get done this weekend as well. ive already started looking at aftermarket DVD ceiling mounts. if anyone has any ideas on those throw them out will ya..

so buying Lunch dinner for me my wife and my daughter (son stayed with grandma), and my gas cost me less then 100 bucks, and i saved 9000. guess what. i plan on letting lots of people around here know that its well more then worth the drive to Ottawa.

so far the 6bolt patter is the only real pain. i can see rims being expensive for this thing, since i plan on using the steel wheels this fall and putting snow tires on them, then getting a set of aluminum ones next spring to use for the summer, saves a lot of wear and tear on the sidewalls by not swapping the rubber over each year.

BTW, it pays to keep a clean vehicle, i gave them the keys so they could test drive the escape and then went out for a smoke. well i walked over and asked them why they didnt drive it, and the one guy said it looks plenty clean enough, and looks well taken care of. if it looks that good, then it must run just fine. :thumb:

im pretty excited cause its only got 42km on it LoL, and the lowest Km vehicle we have ever had was the cobalt at 52,0000. :wave: :wave:

damn.. this is i bet my longest post on here and it has about nothing to do with my escape HAHA

1 - 19 of 19 Posts