Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is looking into possibly getting a new-to-her Escape. Her #1 criteria is that she wants nav and the capability of controlling her ipod through the touch-screen and not using her ipod. Now I am not up to speed with how Sync works or if I would want to get fords navi for any purpose or w/e...I've been reading through the threads in here to better understand it but I'm still confused :doh:

Can anyone shed light/give suggestions on what you would do to keep things simple for their lady (or yourself) if you were trying to help someone out?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would say that an aftermarket HU would be best. I could never get Sync to function well with my ipod. Most of that was the way the files were stored. If you are very good with making sure the artist and song title are correct and properly organizing them, then you should be OK. I could never get Sync to play the song I wanted through voice commands.

With my Pioneer HU you can flip through the folders manually and play the songs right through the touch screen. For Navigation, an aftermarket HU can be used as well. Either get one that has it built in or go with an accessory plug in - depending on your needs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey fellow Hoosier... well, I used to be one.

Anyways, we purchased an Edge last month that has SYNC, but without the touch screen nav system (we already had two Garmins that are just as capable and saved us $2K). I hooked up our iPod to the SYNC and found it very easy to operate. Hit one button on the steering wheel and tell the car what to play. It's pretty simple. I know that's not a lot of info, but hopefully you'll find it handy.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ISU01XCapeXLT said:
Hey fellow Hoosier... well, I used to be one.

Anyways, we purchased an Edge last month that has SYNC, but without the touch screen nav system (we already had two Garmins that are just as capable and saved us $2K). I hooked up our iPod to the SYNC and found it very easy to operate. Hit one button on the steering wheel and tell the car what to play. It's pretty simple. I know that's not a lot of info, but hopefully you'll find it handy.
You poor thing you went to ISU??? A guy from my hometown was a pretty good basketball player there some years ago. Let's just say Bobby Knight felt like an idiot for not recruiting him :thumb:

Anyways my g/f does want GPS, but she wants the in dash GPS so I would probably have to do an aftermarket. Can I keep all the sync stuff still working even though I have an aftermarket unit in the dash?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sinister did a great job integrating SYNC to an aftermarket deck, hop the threads and see what you think of his work.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fourthmeal said:
Sinister did a great job integrating SYNC to an aftermarket deck, hop the threads and see what you think of his work.
Yup I bounced around on those a bit...seems like it would be a lot of fun to integrate them all :bill:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Scooter Scott said:
You poor thing you went to ISU??? A guy from my hometown was a pretty good basketball player there some years ago. Let's just say Bobby Knight felt like an idiot for not recruiting him :thumb:
Who was that? A guy from my area did as well. I believe they went to the tournament one year... Michael Menser. It was several years before my time at ISU.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ISU01XCapeXLT said:
Scooter Scott said:
Who was that? A guy from my area did as well. I believe they went to the tournament one year... Michael Menser. It was several years before my time at ISU.
That would be him. Where are you from? I'm from Batesville where Michael grew up

·
Registered
700 Posts
[quote="Scooter Scott"

Who was that? A guy from my area did as well. I believe they went to the tournament one year... Michael Menser. It was several years before my time at ISU.[/quote]

That would be him. Where are you from? I'm from Batesville where Michael grew up[/quote]

Ha, small world. I'm from Greensburg, actually half way between Batesville and Greensburg. My wife is from Batesville. She's a Records. Yes, as in Randy's daughter (guessing you went to BHS).

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude we are friends on Facebook haha

Did we both have a brain fart? I feel like we have had this conversation in the past lol

·
Registered
700 Posts
Haha, yes, brainfart on the Facebook thing.

I'm not sure I knew you were from Batesville though, or made this connection. But, pretty funny.

That's really funny though. My dad was born and raised in Batesville, and I know several people there. That's a really small world.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I did get Sync to operate with the new HU, but because of my amplified system I did not use the front speaker wire signal for connection to the front speakers. Becasue of that, I don't have a Sync "lady" voice. I can still use Sync and voice command the USB/Aux connections - but I don't get a voice response back. Maybe I could use that connection with the wife? :D

There is another member who also used the same harness and had success with retaining Sync as well - including the voice. I forget who it was... The issue is Sync uses the front speaker wiring for the voice. Since I am not using the factory front speaker wiring, I get no voice through the front pre-outs on the HU. The microphone is in the rearview mirror so pressing the steering wheel button and talking still works.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So essentially could I just tap into the stock wiring and the sound would work for the lady as well as the aftermarket stereo? (I wouldn't have components where I would use my own wire)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
This wire you guys talk about, couldn't you just take a cheap speaker and stuff it in the dash and wire it directly to this? Then SYNC would give feedback through this speaker only.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fourthmeal said:
This wire you guys talk about, couldn't you just take a cheap speaker and stuff it in the dash and wire it directly to this? Then SYNC would give feedback through this speaker only.
I would assume so...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi,

Well Sync works fine for me and my Ipod (touch 32 GB, came with the car), however I did had to organize everything perfect in Itunes to get it to work as intended. However i still have a problem, is that since my Sync is in Spanish, it only accepts names from artists in Spanish...U2, 50 cent, Jane's Addiction, whatever name that is in English i have to translate it to have it played, not so good. I can Always turn Sync to English, however then I would have to translate the Spanish bands to English... :bill:

·
Registered
836 Posts
fourthmeal said:
That is a darn good question. I think the issue is that the Sync module goes into the factory harness, into the factory HU and continues back through the factory front speaker wiring. Since my factory front speaker inputs are killed off, that signal simply does not have the ability to reach anything. I thought about using the HU front wiring, but it would be sending the same signal that the pre-outs are sending. So if I attached a speaker to those, that speaker would be playing all the time. Unless I am wrong?

When I select the A/V option on the HU and press the Sync button on the wheel, it clicks and mutes and the center dash works like normal. I may have to investigate if a speaker connection somewhere would work. If I need a VHR I can still do that. I just don't have any Sync audio.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts