Ford Escape Automobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrr.

After Panera's yesterday, I had to get to the DMV to renew my registration. It expired today, and since I always wait until the last minute to do anything (you can see the "2 09" on my registration sticker), I had to drive to the only local DMV office open on Saturday.

Hopping onto the Youngmann Expressway, there was a 1991 Daytona Shelby in the middle lane, right next to me. From what I could see, since it was doing about 80, it was in great shape.

It got off at the next exit, and if I had more than 90 minutes before the always-mobbed DMV closed (especially on the last day of the month), I would have stalked him down and made him an offer that he couldn't refuse.

:cuss:

Sooner or later, I'm going to get serious about finding a Daytona to restore. And that one would have been perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

:lol:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Is that the color you had before? You'll find your Daytona soon! So how long were you at the DMV office?

·
Super Moderator
4,737 Posts
I had a love affair with that car as well when I was in the service. I wanted either that or a 82 Golf GTI.

·
Premium Member
19,571 Posts
I can't wait until you find one and start fixing it up. :D

Then I will be checking out your Daytona forum to monitor your progress. :yes: :D

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw this one, too.

But the 1989s had the older interior from the first-generation cars (1984 to 1986). The 1990 and 1991 models had the newer (and better) interior.

Maybe I'm just getting too picky.

Colleen said:

Then I will be checking out your Daytona forum to monitor your progress. :yes: :D
It hasn't really taken off yet, has it?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
jpark said:
I saw this one, too.

But the 1989s had the older interior from the first-generation cars (1984 to 1986). The 1990 and 1991 models had the newer (and better) interior.

Maybe I'm just getting too picky.

Colleen said:

It hasn't really taken off yet, has it?
No, but the Edge forum is starting to show some signs of life. :thumb:

That's a good thing, isn't it?
:yes:

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems like it is!

:thumb:

Dasha said:
Is that the color you had before? You'll find your Daytona soon! So how long were you at the DMV office?
Sorry I missed that, Dasha. This thread dropped waaay off the recent post list, for some reason.

:whistle:

I had a 1986 Garnet Red Metallic 2.5L 5-speed (first-generation):

And a 1993 Emerald Green Metallic 3.0L V6 ES 5-speed (third and final generation):

The 1991 Shelby that I saw on Saturday was Electric Blue Metallic/Platinum Metallic.

And I was at the DMV for over an hour. I finally got to a window about 20 minutes before it closed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
so what is the significance of Shelby? Is that just the trim package? Because I know the daytona came in different levels, just not sure what each one is haha, I hope you find the one you want!

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The 1991 Shelby was both a trim package and a hardware package (better suspension, plus the 2.5L Turbo I engine).

I'm really looking for a 1992 or 1993 IROC R/T, which had the 2.2L, 224HP TurboIII engine and 5-speed manual as the only powertrain.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
(this one won't embed)

I won't put Batman badges on mine.

My '93 had the same 5-speed manual, but I had the 3.0L Mitsubishi V6.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Good Luck on finding any turbo Chrysler in any condition. Most people around here were lucky to get 60-70K miles out of them. Most went to the crusher within 10 years is my guess. You know: Texas heat + turbo = blown head gaskets/et al. :taz: :taz: :taz: :doh:

I actually wanted the precursor car to that. ;) The little GLH Omni...WooHoo!!!!!!!!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I saw one of those Silver and Blue Turbo's here in Ottawa not that long ago on a nice day...

Thinking of looking for an OMNI GLH too?

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Not really thinking about an Omni GLH. Just remembering. I would like to find another 84 Capri RS with the 5.0L in good if not great condition. I owned one new, but sold it due to school tuition issues with sending our son to a private school. Something had to give, and it was the Capri and the Yamaha XS 750. Paid over two years tuition...I consider it a good trade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts